Denon 4810ci subwoofer output broken? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Denon 4810ci subwoofer output broken?

Hello,

Recently, I've discovered that the subwoofer output on my Denon 4810ci seems to have stopped working. Initially I thought perhaps a plug had come undone, but I confirmed that the RCA cable is still plugged in and running test tones from the amp does not send any sound to either of my subwoofers. Has anyone else had this happen with their Denon receiver? Are there any workarounds, or am I resigned to replacing the unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 5243 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
First determine if there is an issue with either the cables or the subs themselves. Pull the cable from the AVR's sub pre-out and run your finger over the tip. Hear static from the sub? If yes, issue is with the AVR. If no, issue is with the cable or the sub. If issue is with the AVR, check the factory reset procedure in the Owner's manual and reset the microprocessor a few times (doing so will return all settings to factory default as well as lose the Audyssey settings). If still no joy, repair or replace the AVR. You may want to consider a newer Atmos/DTS:X model and you can then use the 4810CI for external amp duty.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the advice. I'll be testing the cables using other input channels to make sure they aren't the culprit first, then I'll try resetting the microprocessor as you suggested. If the receiver's sub out is toast, I'll have to consider either a surround preamp/decoder as you suggest or a new A/V receiver all together...
post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like the auto-on trigger for the plate amp on the sub has finally crapped out. Not bad for 15 years old, and really glad that it's not the receiver!
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 493
So if you live the sub in the ON position does it still work?

Afro GT
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
So if you live the sub in the ON position does it still work?
There isn't a separate switch that toggles the automatic on/off function. Once the power switch is engaged, the amp will only turn fully on if it detects a signal. It's an old Keiga KG-5150 amp in my first DIY sub and the amp has been discontinued. I'll have to find a replacement that's a similar size so that I (hopefully) don't have to make any modifications for it to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors