Pioneer Elite AVR's.. SC-95, SC-97 SC-99 - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 845Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4651 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
brianmlamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchman281 View Post
OK, I'm a day or two behind but just had to chime in based on a recent surprising experience.

Topic ringing me in is bi-amp. I'm still bringing up all this HT carp (sic) but I did update my 2ch stereo, which is separate from the HT stuff, from straight to bi-amp. Wow. Could. Not. Believe. The sound stage simply exploded.

It was not an upgrade in amplification - I have welder level power amps - dbx BX-1s (1 left, 1 right), look 'em up. Was running them 2 channel with fronts as full range. Finally made up the needed cabling to rig in dbx PA crossovers, dialed in to match the crossovers on my a/d/s L1590s. (plan is to run the HT rears, which will be "audio front" (a/d/s L980s, same mid/tweet), as bi-amp also...)

Big. Difference.
Total. Surprise.
Very. Happy.

So, there is something to this, and it's not just about amplifier headroom. I had plenty of headroom. (still do!) For those wondering, I don't believe "bi wiring" does anything worth thinking about unless you have really crappy wiring.
FYI, what you're doing is active bi-amping, bypassing the internal crossovers of the speakers which almost everyone agrees does make a difference. What people disagree about is passive bi-amping when you just remove the jumper wires between terminals and set the receiver to "Bi-amp" mode. The only thing I've found that mode to do is boost the output level by 3db which tricks a lot of people into thinking it sounds better because usually louder sounds better.

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-...ng-vs-biwiring

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, Samsung PN60F8500
brianmlamb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4652 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxphotog View Post
Greetings! I recently acquired an SC-95, and am not having any luck playing FLAC or WAV files through the USB port w/ a flash drive. Is there something I'm missing? The manual isn't very specific with simple instructions on what to do, and makes no mention of file types that can or can't be played via USB. Only potential incompatibility w/ certain flash drives. I've tried a couple with no luck.

The files are displayed on-screen correctly, but that's where it dies. I can't use the remote to navigate or select and of the displayed files. Nor will the highlighted file play when 'enter' is selected.

Any insight appreciated.
How big are the flash drives? IIRC, the drives have to be formatted in FAT32 which has a size limit.... Larger flash drives are formatted in NTFS...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #4653 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I love how the Sc-97 sounds. Everytime I listen to music ,I hear stuff in the bass range that I've never heard from other receivers. I'm actually hearing what my subs are capable of. I also just live the Pioneer's app. I wonder if the new Pioneer receivers use the same app or if Onkyo redesigned it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
LowTech1 is offline  
 
post #4654 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Member
 
wile3coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
I love how the Sc-97 sounds. Everytime I listen to music ,I hear stuff in the bass range that I've never heard from other receivers. I'm actually hearing what my subs are capable of. I also just live the Pioneer's app. I wonder if the new Pioneer receivers use the same app or if Onkyo redesigned it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
From talking to Pioneer about changes in this year's models... the new models are mostly Pioneer hardware, and mostly Onkyo software. Not sure on the app though.
wile3coyote is offline  
post #4655 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wile3coyote View Post
From talking to Pioneer about changes in this year's models... the new models are mostly Pioneer hardware, and mostly Onkyo software.
Well in the software dept Pioneer kept MCACC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4656 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If they changed the app , that would be stupid move! I've used every receivers new apps and Pioneer's is the only one that looks like it should be in this decade.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
LowTech1 is offline  
post #4657 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I would anticipate a newly designed pioneer app in the near future.

The AV5 app is two years old now.

Most of the core design of the app has remained throughout its previous redesign's

I would anticipate more advanced features in the new app.
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #4658 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
That would be good news for people buying the new Pioneer line.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
LowTech1 is offline  
post #4659 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Snoogleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indpls. IN
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
The only thing I've found that mode to do is boost the output level by 3db which tricks a lot of people into thinking it sounds better because usually louder sounds better.
Yup. It's the same type result when using splitters into the back of your subwoofer(s).
Snoogleheimer is offline  
post #4660 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Member
 
nuclearay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackid View Post
Why not go for an optical cable to tackle the ARC problem?
Always had problems with ARC with Onkyo. The Pioneer not..

Still use the optical though.
Optical will only stream 7.1.. not Atmos 7.1.4
The only way I can watch HDR content (right now) is to cast Netflix or VUDU, but then I miss out on the Atmos-Enabled 'experience'.
nuclearay is offline  
post #4661 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
That would be good news for people buying the new Pioneer line.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I agree and hopefully we will all benefit from the new potential app features also.

I would like to see some ability to further customize the app for individual preferences.

Being able to add a couple customized volume presets on the main screen. With the ability to slowly ramp the volume to the desired setting.

Being able to ramp the volume slowly up from previous level after turning mute off.

Yamaha has some usable features in their app. That allow the user to create what they call scenes. Where they can create various mini programs based on AVR features and settings to automate the end desired settings.

Be interesting to see what others would like to see in a new Pioneer app.

3 more days possible to DTS X
thebrieze01 likes this.

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 10-14-2016 at 11:28 AM.
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #4662 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
wackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearay View Post
Optical will only stream 7.1.. not Atmos 7.1.4
The only way I can watch HDR content (right now) is to cast Netflix or VUDU, but then I miss out on the Atmos-Enabled 'experience'.
Aha didn't knew that.

Panasonic TX-P65VTW60 | Panasonic DMP-BDT500 | Asus Chromebox OpenELEC triple boot | Pioneer SC-LX89 | 6 X Monitor Audio Apex 10 | Canton Chrono SL 590 black | Klipsch R-115W | BK Sub XXLS400 | Zalman HTPC | Harmony Ultimate
wackid is offline  
post #4663 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Bi-amping makes difference, bi-wiring doesn't


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nohcho is offline  
post #4664 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Snoogleheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indpls. IN
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Would be nice to have a 'playlist' feature on iControlAV5.
Snoogleheimer is offline  
post #4665 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Member
 
wile3coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Well in the software dept Pioneer kept MCACC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Correct. They merged both hardware and software from both groups, but according to the rep I talked to, the hardware is *mostly* from Pioneer, and the software is *mostly* from Onkyo. I believe he said the menu gui looks more like Onkyo now.
wile3coyote is offline  
post #4666 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wile3coyote View Post
Correct. They merged both hardware and software from both groups, but according to the rep I talked to, the hardware is *mostly* from Pioneer, and the software is *mostly* from Onkyo. I believe he said the menu gui looks more like Onkyo now.
The Onkyo GUI is bland and so is Pioneer's. In fact I heard the new Pioneer line did away with the calibration lines/graphs. Not good imo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4667 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Personally ,I don't care about the GUI. It's good enough. I spend most my time in the app. Denon's is the absolute worst!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
HiRes_PR likes this.
LowTech1 is offline  
post #4668 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Member
 
alamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone running 5.1.4? Wondering where people are placing speakers and their experiences. From what I understand these receivers can't do top front and top rear when don g 5.1.4. Or am I wrong?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alamez is offline  
post #4669 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I have ordered the x4200 about 3 times from Amazon and canceled before shipping begins. Idk somehow I can't commit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4670 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I have ordered the x4200 about 3 times from Amazon and canceled before shipping begins. Idk somehow I can't commit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk


At the price they are going now, its a much easier decision...just get it, you wont be disappointed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nohcho is offline  
post #4671 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
At the price they are going now, its a much easier decision...just get it, you wont be disappointed


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know but I have the Onkyo 805 and won't use 4k and Atmos is drifting to the 4K world vs bluray.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4672 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Pioneer Elite AVR's.. SC-95, SC-97 SC-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I know but I have the Onkyo 805 and won't use 4k and Atmos is drifting to the 4K world vs bluray.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk


Of you are happy with 805, just stick with it, ive seen you on this forum trying to decide for over a year now. Cant imagine how much of a pain you probably are when you're buying a big ticket item like a car or a house lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westbergjoakim likes this.
nohcho is offline  
post #4673 of 7248 Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
Of you are happy with 805, just stick with it, ive seen you on this forum trying to decide for over a year now. Cant imagine how much of a pain you probably are when you're buying a big ticket item like a car or a house lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, na been in my current home 16 years and won't go anywhere. The car 10 years thus far. Saw them both and bought on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4674 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Wally_br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
What BD player is it?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
It is a Samsung BD J7500. Sorry for the late response
Wally_br is offline  
post #4675 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Wally_br's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamez View Post
Anyone running 5.1.4? Wondering where people are placing speakers and their experiences. From what I understand these receivers can't do top front and top rear when don g 5.1.4. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look at the second image in the following link.
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html

This is my setup. Positionally, my atmos speakers are a little inside compared to the front left and right speakers. Also, my surround speakers are exactly to my left and right instead of behind me.

I have an SC-95. The front atmos speakers are connected to the Top Middle speaker connection ports and the rear atmos speakers are connected to the rear surround speaker ports. This connection method makes it very easy to switch between 5.1.4 and 7.1.2 since the rear atmos speakers are connected to the rear surround speaker ports.

Hope this helps.
Wally_br is offline  
post #4676 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Lol, na been in my current home 16 years and won't go anywhere. The car 10 years thus far. Saw them both and bought on the spot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Arse.. Didn't u have a Pioneer SC-95 and return it?
LowTech1 is offline  
post #4677 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Arse.. Didn't u have a Pioneer SC-95 and return it?
Yes sir. The x4200 has the better price now. I just can't get commit that darn 805 won't die lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
asere is offline  
post #4678 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LowTech1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 272
My 805 is still going strong too. If you can still get the 95 , I'd take that over the 4200 without blinking. The sound from the Pioneer is much better than the 805 & 4200. You should have kept it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
LowTech1 is offline  
post #4679 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Member
 
alamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Pioneer Elite AVR's.. SC-95, SC-97 SC-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally_br View Post
Look at the second image in the following link.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dol...-4-setups.html



This is my setup. Positionally, my atmos speakers are a little inside compared to the front left and right speakers. Also, my surround speakers are exactly to my left and right instead of behind me.



I have an SC-95. The front atmos speakers are connected to the Top Middle speaker connection ports and the rear atmos speakers are connected to the rear surround speaker ports. This connection method makes it very easy to switch between 5.1.4 and 7.1.2 since the rear atmos speakers are connected to the rear surround speaker ports.



Hope this helps.


Ok I see thanks. So basically you are running top middle and top rear. Your atmos are placed exactly like the pic?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by alamez; 10-15-2016 at 10:29 PM.
alamez is offline  
post #4680 of 7248 Old 10-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Kocl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a strange problem with my LX59 with HDMI.
For example i'm using nvidia, when i switch to Sat cable sometimes i have no audio or video, when came back to nvidia again is the same. I have to switch to other source that is not in use and switch back again to one for sources above. Other strange thing, when i put the TV (Pioneer Lx5090) on standby and leave the av and nvidia on, when turn on the plasma the screen is black with no video nor audio. I have to power off lx59 to get it work again.

What i'm missing?

Kocl
Kocl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite , pioneer sc99 , SC-95 , SC-97 , SC-99

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off