Do I need a pre-amp for my basic 2 speaker set up? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I need a pre-amp for my basic 2 speaker set up?

Hi everyone,

I don't know how to fix this volume issue I have and hope ya'll can help. I'm bit of a noob with a fairly basic setup (floor standing Polk audios and a Yamaha rx-v375 reciever).

I'm experiecing a lot of clipping with this set up. explosions, sound effects, etc are way too harsh and uncomfortable at the volume level necessary to hear dialogue properly. Can I or should i use an amp\pre amp\line output converter with this receiver? Do you have any recommendations? Is there some setting I'm missing?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 AM
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Get a subwoofer. (Actually, there are plenty of folks around here who will recommend you get at least two subwoofers. )

Have you run the YPAO room calibration?

You can also try setting your speakers to small-- you might have to lie to your AVR about a sub being attached-- and try using something like a 60Hz crossover frequency. That will give you some mid bass, at least, before rolling off due to the crossover. It might help your speakers out enough by not trying to handle the lowest frequencies that they can handle the midrange better.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
Old 09-05-2015, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked: 2839
Maybe a center speaker for the dialog that is almost always in the center channel would help. A sub would take some load off your receiver and speakers as well as simply offering better bass than your speakers can. You can't use any additional amp with that receiver so that you could use the receiver as pre-amp, as it only has a sub pre-out, no other channels. Just how loud are you listening at? Which Polk speakers do you have?

Last edited by lovinthehd; 09-05-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:53 AM
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
A stereo speaker setup is more ideal for music listening only. If movies/TV make up most of your listening, you really should add a center speaker as roughly 85% of the movie and dialogue is passed directly to the center channel. Also, your Polks are apparently not able to handle low bass, so adding a quality subwoofer (consider SVS) will help with this issue. Check the SVSound Outlet specials site for discounted models.

"JD" - Sales - Call 585-645-1006 for setup and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, Parasound, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 AM
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Even if you add a subwoofer, a center and you find it distorting and you want/need a power amplifier, your Yamaha lacks pre-outs so you can't add a power amp anyway.

Try setting all speakers to small 80hz, subwoofer to on, and see if you notice the clipping.