AVS Forum banner

Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) to Dolby Digital (DD) Conversion

30K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rygy 
#1 · (Edited)
Deleted

Deleted

#2 ·
From what I read: The newer Roku's have the ability to send it out as DD just like the original version without any hardware changes, but for whatever reason ROKU won't or don't have the current rights to convert it down to DD so you are stuck with finding something that will either do it now or send it through a capable AVR.

#7 ·
Anyone find a solution to convert DD+ to vanilla DD?
Alternatively, is there any streaming player that is not a gaming console that would do it? Any Blu-ray player?
I am currently investigating a product I found in an older thread that might be able to extract the audio over optical.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814500-REG/Atlona_AT_HD570_HDMI_1_3_Audio_De_Embedder.html

The bummer is it runs about $280.

My Pioneer AVR can decode the DD+ but it has all kinds of artifacts as it came out before Netflix changed things.

#9 ·
Looking for that too.

Have Shield TV - Android TV.

There would be something that makes Netflix think that we have DD+. That is the easier thing.
Then something that can pick sound specifically from Netflix and realtime convert it. (that is probably the hackiest thing) Unless that device and Android could automatically procces it.

So would be nice to have app that makes applications thing that we have DD+ primo, then we would see.

#10 ·
I also have a Shield TV and a Playbar. The problem really is with the Shield TV not having a Dolby license to be able to convert, not even transcode, DD+ to DD. Nvidia just expects the Shield TV to pass through all audio for an AVR to decode. That would be fine if the Playbar could handle DD+ but it can't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.