Denon AVR-S900W with Energy 5.1 (First Time Setup) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Denon AVR-S900W with Energy 5.1 (First Time Setup)

Hi Team,

I'm finally evolving from my Klipsch 2.1 Promedia to a real home theater system. My review reading brought me to Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System ($350 on Amazon) paired with a Denon AVR-S900W ($380 on Amazon). Will be for Gaming, Movies, and Electronic Music.

A few questions,

1) Seeing that this Denon is 7.2, can I still run just the 5.1 for the time being and add bookshelves and a second sub later?

2) Is this price the lowest you've seen, or do you think waiting until Black Friday would be in my best interest?

Thanks for the input!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinNJ
1) Seeing that this Denon is 7.2, can I still run just the 5.1 for the time being and add bookshelves and a second sub later?
Yes.

Quote:
2) Is this price the lowest you've seen, or do you think waiting until Black Friday would be in my best interest?
Not sure how good those current prices are, but if I were in the States I'd wait for a Black Friday sale.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Yes.

Not sure how good those current prices are, but if I were in the States I'd wait for a Black Friday sale.
Well actually I just realized the Energy 5.1 is out of stock everywhere. Amazon can't ship for 5 months. I've eyed out a few other options here, http://home-audio.toptenreviews.com/...ater-speakers/

Any recommendations? I need the Sub power to be evidently present.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well actually I just realized the Energy 5.1 is out of stock everywhere. ... I've eyed out a few other options ...

My recommendation would be that you start with a good pair of speakers and a sub, and add the CC speaker and surrounds later on.

You can get decent speakers for ~$200 or less. One example: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR for $127, shipped, at amazon.com.

Assuming that "the Sub power to be evidently present" means that you like powerful bass, for the sub I strongly suggest that you consider something like:
- the SVS PB-1000 ($500, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days so you can demo it in-home at no cost); or
- the RBH I-12 (which I've read can be had for closer to $400).

What is your max budget for speakers and a sub?
How large a room (l x w x h; sealed or open to other spaces) is your set-up going into?

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 10-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:22 PM
JGM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinNJ View Post
Well actually I just realized the Energy 5.1 is out of stock everywhere. Amazon can't ship for 5 months. I've eyed out a few other options here, http://home-audio.toptenreviews.com/...ater-speakers/

The Monoprice premium HT system is a close functional clone of the Energy system (so close they had to change the design style to avoid an infringement claim, so they aren't quite as good looking). It also costs less and sounds very good.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10565
Old 10-15-2015, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
How do the Energy's compare to the Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR ?

Sammy PN63C8000

Onkyo TX-SR605

HR44-700

HP-T5064 Still going

Old 10-15-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
My recommendation would be that you start with a good pair of speakers and a sub, and add the CC speaker and surrounds later on.

You can get decent speakers for ~$200 or less. One example: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR for $127, shipped, at amazon.com.

Assuming that "the Sub power to be evidently present" means that you like powerful bass, for the sub I strongly suggest that you consider something like:
- the SVS PB-1000 ($500, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days so you can demo it in-home at no cost); or
- the RBH I-12 (which I've read can be had for closer to $400).

What is your max budget for speakers and a sub?
How large a room (l x w x h; sealed or open to other spaces) is your set-up going into?
I do hear great things about Pioneer's new line. Amazon has a 5.1 with those same bookshelves I believe for $450, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-20&ascsubtag=[site|ttr[cat|291[art|NA[pid|59748[tid|NA[bbc|NA&ti=2B0F6EC9051D53A7400019062000293D14449349 71202

I live on the top floor of an Apartment complex so those two subs you suggested would be too much for the neighbors. Also, I may go with the 5.2 Denon AVR-S500BT at $200, coupled with the 5.1 Pioneer above, not a bad first time theater setup aye?
@JGM

I want to like those Mono Prices, I'm just afraid of the price point. $160 for a 5.1 scares the hell out of me. The reviews are intriguing though...
Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I live on the top floor of an Apartment complex so those two subs you suggested would be too much for the neighbors. ...
In that case, give the well-rated Dayton SUB-1200 (currently on sale for $138.50, shipped, at parts-express.com) a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement