Yamaha 779 vs Denon avr-x1200W - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By hpp8140
  • 1 Post By kikkenit2

post #1 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha 779 vs Denon avr-x1200W

I am a total audio newbie & debating between the Yamaha AVR receiver on sale from Costco for $439 (TRS-7790) or get the Denon AVR-X1200W for about the same price.

Not worried about ATMOS yet since I don't have speakers on the ceiling & currently have 5.1 setup but thinking of adding 2 more speakers.

I just want good audio quality, easy setup, & great performance for watching mainly movies though do listen to music on ocassion.

I think the best receivers for the price/quality are denon & yamaha so any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 90

Yamaha 779 is a higher level avr than x1200 so pound for pound it is better. 779 has better User Interface, has analog to hdmi as well as 1080 to 4 upscaling, it also has a much nicer front display lay out and the front panel is metal as opposed to plastic on x1200. 779 also has Bluetooth transmitter and receiver. All around it is a better choice however, it only has hdcp 2.2 on three inputs vs all five on x1200. 779 I definitely a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at them both as well and personally leaning towards the denon for dtsx and atmos.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-01-2015, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The yamaha TSR7790 has full 7.2 channel preouts. The only reason to go for denon x1200 is for audyssey multiEQ XT if you're into audyssey. I would personally go for the yamaha because later on I can add external amps. Plus the blutooth transmitter/receiver is sweet for using blutooth headphones.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbp_civic View Post
The yamaha TSR7790 has full 7.2 channel preouts. The only reason to go for denon x1200 is for audyssey multiEQ XT if you're into audyssey. I would personally go for the yamaha because later on I can add external amps. Plus the blutooth transmitter/receiver is sweet for using blutooth headphones.
I'm looking at these 2 receivers as well and have a question. How much does audyssey have to do with how things will sound on the music side? Does Denon or Yamaha generally sound better for music (you would think Yamaha has the heads up)?
post #6 of 18 Old 12-04-2015, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post
I'm looking at these 2 receivers as well and have a question. How much does audyssey have to do with how things will sound on the music side? Does Denon or Yamaha generally sound better for music (you would think Yamaha has the heads up)?
It really depends on how you like your music to sound. I use a marantz sr5006 with a pair of polk audio tsi300s. With audyssey mutiEQ XT turned on and the flat setting is selected with the dynamic eq on, the bass frequencies 20, 30, and 40hz is boosted significantly With this setting a subwoofer is not needed. If you run bookshelfs for font L/R then you'll need a sub even if all the settings mentioned above are turned on.

Yamaha's room calibration is less aggressive with bass. Even with floor speakers like the polk audio TSI300, I needed to run a sub.

In terms of just music use I would say sometimes I want the option of massive bass with the audyssey system, sometimes I like the sound of the Yamaha system. Most of the time I use direct/pure direct and get clear unmodified sound.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post it depends on how you like your music to sound. Massive bass with tower speakers without a sub get audyssey. With the bass enhanced the mids and highs are still decently good. Dynamic Eq is very aggressive at lower volumes, but as the volume gets closer to the 0db mark it begins to tone down.

My experience with different brands of receivers, onkyo was the only one that let me add tone control with audyssey. The onkyo tx nr609 also let me enable dynamic Eq with a custom EQ curve. Denon and marantz did not let me do anything but enable dynamic Eq with their calibrated curves.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It really depends on how you like your music to sound. I use a marantz sr5006 with a pair of polk audio tsi300s. With audyssey mutiEQ XT turned on and the flat setting is selected with the dynamic eq on, the bass frequencies 20, 30, and 40hz is boosted significantly With this setting a subwoofer is not needed. If you run bookshelfs for font L/R then you'll need a sub even if all the settings mentioned above are turned on.

Yamaha's room calibration is less aggressive with bass. Even with floor speakers like the polk audio TSI300, I needed to run a sub.

In terms of just music use I would say sometimes I want the option of massive bass with the audyssey system, sometimes I like the sound of the Yamaha system. Most of the time I use direct/pure direct and get clear unmodified sound.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the post it depends on how you like your music to sound. Massive bass with tower speakers without a sub get audyssey. With the bass enhanced the mids and highs are still decently good. Dynamic Eq is very aggressive at lower volumes, but as the volume gets closer to the 0db mark it begins to tone down.

My experience with different brands of receivers, onkyo was the only one that let me add tone control with audyssey. The onkyo tx nr609 also let me enable dynamic Eq with a custom EQ curve. Denon and marantz did not let me do anything but enable dynamic Eq with their calibrated curves.
Sorry for the late reply appreciate the response. One other question does Denon still have issues with something to do with album art not being displayed correctly over AirPlay/Bluetooth? Something like it'll say unsupported file if album art is too big?

I'll be streaming quite a bit from iPads and my Mac so this is a big for me.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9741 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:

If you disable Dynamic EQ, you can adjust the Tone Control settings (bass/treble) on Denon and Marantz AVRs.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 02:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply appreciate the response. One other question does Denon still have issues with something to do with album art not being displayed correctly over AirPlay/Bluetooth? Something like it'll say unsupported file if album art is too big?

I'll be streaming quite a bit from iPads and my Mac so this is a big for me.
Album art is limited to 500x500 pixels.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Album art is limited to 500x500 pixels.
Jd,
You're pretty knowledgable in these parts. Can you tell me if Yamaha requires album art to be this size as well? How about Onkyo?

Thanks
post #11 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AFAIK, neither brand displays album art at all.
Well it's not that I need album art to be displayed it's just I read something along the lines of if the album art doesn't play nice it won't be able to play said song, something like unsupported file. I read that about Denons was curious if it's true or not and with other makes like the Yamaha.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Well it's not that I need album art to be displayed it's just I read something along the lines of if the album art doesn't play nice it won't be able to play said song, something like unsupported file. I read that about Denons was curious if it's true or not and with other makes like the Yamaha.
As I previously noted, on Denon and Marantz models, if the album art is greater than 500x500 pixels the song won't play at all.
jbdawson likes this.

------------

post #13 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 90

779 is a higher model than x1200 all things considered. I would go with 779 as it offers 7 channel pre outs and up conversion from both analog and digital sources. 779 is a much nicer looking unit with a metal front. 779 offers a very nice UI and yamahas smartphone app is second to none. Plus, yamahas reliability is well known. Denon run much warmer so youll need to keep denon in a place with a plenty open space or active air circulation

post #14 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
779 is a higher model than x1200 all things considered. I would go with 779 as it offers 7 channel pre outs and up conversion from both analog and digital sources. 779 is a much nicer looking unit with a metal front. 779 offers a very nice UI and yamahas smartphone app is second to none. Plus, yamahas reliability is well known. Denon run much warmer so youll need to keep denon in a place with a plenty open space or active air circulation

For proper ventilation, it's wise to have at least 3-4" clearance for any brand of AVR used.

------------

post #15 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I am currently evaluating a Yam RX-V479 and Denon AVR-S710W to decide which to keep and was also concerned about the Denon album art issue I read. I have not found this to be true with the Denon (firmware Version 2400-8028-3040).

I just performed a test mp3 1200x1200 embedded art. It played fine under these conditions:
  • iTunes airplay
  • dlna using Denon official app and bubbleupnp.
I don't have the receiver outputting display to my TV through HDMI though. The Yamaha is more responsive and can decode multichannel audio (WAV PCM).

We may need further details to test if this is still an issue.
jbdawson likes this.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
post #16 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
I am currently evaluating a Yam RX-V479 and Denon AVR-S710W to decide which to keep and was also concerned about the Denon album art issue I read. I have not found this to be true with the Denon (firmware Version 2400-8028-3040).

I just performed a test mp3 1200x1200 embedded art. It played fine under these conditions:
  • iTunes airplay
  • dlna using Denon official app and bubbleupnp.
I don't have the receiver outputting display to my TV through HDMI though. The Yamaha is more responsive and can decode multichannel audio (WAV PCM).

We may need further details to test if this is still an issue.
I wonder if this was addressed....very interesting.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Yamaha will display embedded album art up to about 1000 ppi. If picture is too big the song
plays with the background picture instead of the art pic. My $35 sandisk mp3 player works
the same way. They both never refuse to play the song like denon.

Attached is a sample airplay screen with 700 ppi embedded art pic using yamaha v773.
The bigger files do look better. I edit the album names to include year of release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151222_214504[1].jpg
Views:	104
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1137402  
jbdawson likes this.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 12-22-2015 at 08:54 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I wonder if this was addressed....very interesting.
I know, I'm all over the place trying out different brands, but I now have a Marantz NR-1506 and wanted to note that it has been flawless with playback. No issues with large album art and it can also decode multi-channel PCM audio.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread