Starting from scratch. Thoughts on home audio/video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Starting from scratch. Thoughts on home audio/video

First off, I'm an old guy. In reviewing the various threads, I found myself mystified by the huge number of acronyms that I couldn't understand, so please try to keep them to a minimum.

I recently built a new house. I want to set up a decent surround sound system for my home theater that will also work well as a home stereo. The only component I have is the TV, which is a new 70" Samsung 1080p. True, it's not 4K, but at my age I couldn't tell the difference.

My budget: I'd like to stay below $2500 for everything (the component(s) and speakers), although it's a bit of a moving target and could go up a bit.

Wish list: 1) I have Apple products, so something that can communicate with my iPhone, iPad and/or Mac, if that's an option. 2) I'd like to have two zones, so I can put future speakers on my patio and be able to listen to something other than what's being played inside the house. 3) In addition to the TV, I'll hook up a blue ray player and a cd player. 4) 7.1, 7.2? I'd like input on those versus 5.1. 5) Online music and/or video options? Don't know much about this, input is appreciated 6) The speakers I will want will either be in-ceiling/in-wall or mounted to the ceiling and walls. I understand that limits options and quality, but I prefer the clean look and, more importantly, that's what my wife wants. Happy wife, happy life.

My experience: I've installed a Bose system that was 5.1 from years back and four in-ceiling speakers that use a Harman Kardon receiver. My business has a Pioneer receiver with two zones that I installed for my employees. I can install the basics, but I am far from the expertise of those on this forum.

Bottom line: I'd like input about receivers first and foremost. Ideas on speakers and other components is a bonus, but the electronics pushing the power is where I need the most help given my lack of expertise. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 167
if you dont care about 4x, look at last years models to save money. maybe even a refurb
example you get a denon 2100 at A4L for 299, 1 year warranty
it has airplay, 2 zones

depending on room size your sub could cost from 200 to over 1k
many companies have nice matched systems
example svs prime for 1550
add a sub and avr and done

figure some money for wire and banana clips if you so choose

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
if you dont care about 4x, look at last years models to save money. maybe even a refurb
example you get a denon 2100 at A4L for 299, 1 year warranty
it has airplay, 2 zones

depending on room size your sub could cost from 200 to over 1k
many companies have nice matched systems
example svs prime for 1550
add a sub and avr and done

figure some money for wire and banana clips if you so choose
Thanks for your advice, mdram. You asked if I care about 4x. Naive question, but what's 4x?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960Corvette View Post
Thanks for your advice, mdram. You asked if I care about 4x. Naive question, but what's 4x?
shoulda been 4k, i cant type

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

when you mentioned wall mounted were you thinking satellite type or bookshelf?

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
when you mentioned wall mounted were you thinking satellite type or bookshelf?
I was thinking satellite or in-ceiling/in-wall.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9367 Post(s)
Liked: 4330
AVR: Last year's Denon X2100W (if no 4k TV in your near future) or the newer X2200W (if 4k TV expected)
Speakers: Def Tech Di 8R (FL/FR/SL/SR) - 8" in-ceiling
Speaker: Def Tech CS8060HD (Center)
Sub: SVS PB1000 - 300W, 10"

Total package - under $2500

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
AVR: Last year's Denon X2100W (if no 4k TV in your near future) or the newer X2200W (if 4k TV expected)
Speakers: Def Tech Di 8R (FL/FR/SL/SR) - 8" in-ceiling
Speaker: Def Tech CS8060HD (Center)
Sub: SVS PB1000 - 300W, 10"

Total package - under $2500
Thanks for your advice jdsmoothie. Seems like Denon is the receiver brand that's being recommended. That wasn't my first thought, but it was on my list. The Def Tech speakers look good - just the clean look we're wanting. Appreciate your input.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9367 Post(s)
Liked: 4330
Quote:
Thanks for your advice jdsmoothie. Seems like Denon is the receiver brand that's being recommended. That wasn't my first thought, but it was on my list. The Def Tech speakers look good - just the clean look we're wanting. Appreciate your input.
Call for package pricing from AVS if interested.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, JD.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
First off, I'm an old guy. In reviewing the various threads, I found myself mystified by the huge number of acronyms that I couldn't understand, so please try to keep them to a minimum.

I recently built a new house. I want to set up a decent surround sound system for my home theater that will also work well as a home stereo. The only component I have is the TV, which is a new 70" Samsung 1080p. True, it's not 4K, but at my age I couldn't tell the difference.

My budget: I'd like to stay below $2500 for everything (the component(s) and speakers), although it's a bit of a moving target and could go up a bit.

Wish list: 1) I have Apple products, so something that can communicate with my iPhone, iPad and/or Mac, if that's an option. 2) I'd like to have two zones, so I can put future speakers on my patio and be able to listen to something other than what's being played inside the house. 3) In addition to the TV, I'll hook up a blue ray player and a cd player. 4) 7.1, 7.2? I'd like input on those versus 5.1. 5) Online music and/or video options? Don't know much about this, input is appreciated 6) The speakers I will want will either be in-ceiling/in-wall or mounted to the ceiling and walls. I understand that limits options and quality, but I prefer the clean look and, more importantly, that's what my wife wants. Happy wife, happy life.

My experience: I've installed a Bose system that was 5.1 from years back and four in-ceiling speakers that use a Harman Kardon receiver. My business has a Pioneer receiver with two zones that I installed for my employees. I can install the basics, but I am far from the expertise of those on this forum.

Bottom line: I'd like input about receivers first and foremost. Ideas on speakers and other components is a bonus, but the electronics pushing the power is where I need the most help given my lack of expertise. Thanks in advance.

If you want the best sound quality, My advice would be to stick with either a NAD or Marantz receiver.

The OPPO BDP-103 is an excellent Cd/SACD/Bluray/DVD player that also has a good DAC and many other functions. For $500 it is a bargain.

For inwall/inceiling speakers, I suggest the ones made by PSB. 90% of the inwall/inceiling speakers are unspeakable trash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
avr , receiver advice , speakers and subs