Sunfire Theater Grand Processors (thread to share advice,info,thoughts, etc) - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1164 Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

Thumbs way up to Harmony support -- I sent them a note asking about the Sunfire direction keys and overnight they had loaded it into my remote configuration. This is the first time I've used their support for a configuration issue and I'm very impressed. Problem solved!

Good news and thumbs up to Harmony !
I have been contemplating this Harmony device for my Sunfire TGP-5 based system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1164 Old 05-01-2010, 03:00 AM
pjp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7777 View Post

Good news and thumbs up to Harmony !
I have been contemplating this Harmony device for my Sunfire TGP-5 based system.

Definitely you should go for it -- it really can control everything -- room lighting, fan, etc -- the devices for even obscure devices are there. I have the 880, but the buttons for volume/channel aren't that great. The Harmony One has better buttons, also I think it can shows fewer activities on the LCD screen than the 880. Most people that have switched seem to prefer the Harmony One.
post #1143 of 1164 Old 05-01-2010, 03:04 AM
pjp

I found a problem with the subwoofer test tone on the TGIV. I'm trying to set it with the RS sound level meter and it works fine for the front/rear/center, but the subwoofer test tone is warbled (for lack of a better word) -- the signal goes up and down by about 8db somewhat randomly so it's impossible to set the sub level. Has anybody seen this issue and is there a solution?
post #1144 of 1164 Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM

hey there avs, i have an old sunfire theater grand processor, i believe this is the first one so it much be ancient. I lost the remote to this one , and i was wondering if there was any possible way of getting the tg-2 remote to work with this machine...
post #1145 of 1164 Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keven0101 View Post

hey there avs, i have an old sunfire theater grand processor, i believe this is the first one so it much be ancient. I lost the remote to this one , and i was wondering if there was any possible way of getting the tg-2 remote to work with this machine...

Something like a Harmony 880 would likely support it. It should already be in their database, but Harmony is very helpful at finding the codes even if they are not in the database (when the TGIV setup in the Harmony database was missing codes for arrow keys on a Sunfire TGIV, they pulled them from another users setup and loaded them into my profile).

I think generally manufacturers tend to keep codes the same (Sony especially),so it may be that a later remote will work but this is a complete guess. You might want email Sunfire from www.sunfire.com -- they replied to my questions about the TGIV, so they do respond about older models.
post #1146 of 1164 Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 AM
pjp

I have two questions regarding the TGIV:

1. Does anybody find the IR receiver on the TGIV weak?
  2. Is there a simple IR receiver that can plug into the rear jack?

My equipment room is in the back of the room and every other component responds to IR signals from a Harmony 880 pointed at the front of the room because signals reflect back from the projector screen. The TGIV is the only one that must be pointed at directly to work reliably.

Assuming I can't improve the built-in IR receiver -- is there a simple external IR receiver I can add to improve performance? I tried using a remote IR receiver I had spare from a cable box -- it has the proper plug but doesn't seem to work at all (no response if I block the built-in IR) -- so I guess that IR receiver isn't compatible with what's required for the Sunfire. I'm looking for an IR receiver that is as simple as possible since it will sit just one shelf up from where the TGIV sits now.
post #1147 of 1164 Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Re : "I have two questions regarding the TGIV: 1. Does anybody find the IR receiver on the TGIV weak?"

PJP -
I have the TGP-5 and share your experience - a very weak IR remote function. You must be close to and point it directly at the TGP 5 for the remote to work well.
Jack
post #1148 of 1164 Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7777 View Post

Re : "I have two questions regarding the TGIV: 1. Does anybody find the IR receiver on the TGIV weak?"

PJP -
I have the TGP-5 and share your experience - a very weak IR remote function. You must be close to and point it directly at the TGP 5 for the remote to work well.
Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the feedback -- it's helpful to know that this is typical behavior for the TG series. I'm hoping there's a simple external IR sensor I can plug into the rear IR in jack to resolve it, but the one I have on-hand doesn't seem to work at all so I'm hoping somebody will be able to recommend a specific one that works.

Thanks,
Peter
post #1149 of 1164 Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 AM

I can not get the ps3 to work with the tgp-5. I am running an HDMI and optical cable from the tgpV to ps3. Is there a setting that I am missing, there is a black screen that flutters and no sound.
thanks
post #1150 of 1164 Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM

I have an original Sunfire Theater Grand with the touchscreen remote. The remote doesnt function properly. (I put fresh batterries in and I hear the slight beep when it gets power, followed by the backlight coming on and quickly fading out. The screen is very dim but appears to show the buttons, however touching thme does nothing)
I'd like to know if anyone has replaced their unit with one of the MX-5000 Theater Master universal remotes OR can recommend another that will be able to access and use all of the functions of the unit, not just volume and source selection. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide the codes used as well. Thanks !!!
post #1151 of 1164 Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM

If you take a look at my post many pages back.. I have the same basic issue.

The remote has been sent back TWICE ($30 the first time and $75 the second) but has never been properly re-programmed. I purchased a USED URC remote FROM sunfire (another $100) that was supposed to be pre-programmed to replace the touch screen remote. It barely controls any of the functions of the receiver and is somewhat a joke. So in effect I only have partial function of the TG processor.

As silly as it may sound, this issue has changed my view of the company and when I replace the TG, it will not be with a sunfire or any other Elan product. Previous to this issue, I would not have bothered even looking at other brands, I was a happy sunfire customer.

I hate my harmony remotes, but am going to try and work with support to see if we can get something working.

Let me know if you find something that works.
post #1152 of 1164 Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 AM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious99 View Post

I have an original Sunfire Theater Grand with the touchscreen remote. The remote doesnt function properly. (I put fresh batterries in and I hear the slight beep when it gets power, followed by the backlight coming on and quickly fading out. The screen is very dim but appears to show the buttons, however touching thme does nothing)
I'd like to know if anyone has replaced their unit with one of the MX-5000 Theater Master universal remotes OR can recommend another that will be able to access and use all of the functions of the unit, not just volume and source selection. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide the codes used as well. Thanks !!!

A Harmony 880 or Harmony One remote will do everything. Harmony's support is great -- so if there is a function missing they will add it to the library. They did this a few hours after I made the request when I first started using an 880 on a TGIV -- they actually pulled the codes from users that learned the command from the original remote, which is easy for them to do because everyone's setups are stored in their central database.

If you haven't used a Harmony remote before, it is life changing in simplicity -- hit one button to "play DVD" and it will intelligently turn on all required devices and do the AV/TV input settings for the display. You can then hit listen to CD and it will power off the TV and DVD (if you want it to) and start up the CD and set inputs correctly. You can also control things like lighting with a low-cost Lutron switch.

All this being said, I've found the TGIV has one of the weakest IR sensors of any device I've used, you really need to be pointing at it to ensure the commands get picked up and sometimes I've seen it get confused and change inputs if I hit the volume too fast for example. Not sure why the IR is poor -- not sure if it's that the Harmony is less than perfect (I don't have a working Sunfire remote) or if it's just weirdness in the Sunfire IR processing. Another user commented that the IR sensor is weak, so it may very well be the latter.

You won't have any trouble getting all the features to work with a Harmony and there are many benefits to using a Harmony type remote for controlling the whole system with one button.
post #1153 of 1164 Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Over a year has passed (actually several) and I am still in search of codes (IR or serial) to control all of the function of my Theater Grand Processor 1

I hve it setup on a logitech and basic functions work but I need to be able to set the speaker levels, etc.

Elan support is worse than a joke, in fact they are clueless and rude and are unable to find the documentation for the TG1 product. I contacted Rita's but Elan assumed all of the original programming information when they purchased Sunfire and are unable to help.

Anybody?
post #1154 of 1164 Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post

Over a year has passed (actually several) and I am still in search of codes (IR or serial) to control all of the function of my Theater Grand Processor 1
I hve it setup on a logitech and basic functions work but I need to be able to set the speaker levels, etc.
Elan support is worse than a joke, in fact they are clueless and rude and are unable to find the documentation for the TG1 product. I contacted Rita's but Elan assumed all of the original programming information when they purchased Sunfire and are unable to help.
Anybody?

Are these the same as later TG versions like the TG3 or TG4?
post #1155 of 1164 Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 40
I'm pretty sure Bob Carver still ran Sunfire back then when the TG1 was introduced so I'd suggest you email Bob and see if he might be able to help you out with the codes. Info@BobCarver.com

There is also The Carver Site where you might be able to find the code you're looking for. http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=login\ http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=94

Cheers,
Robin
post #1156 of 1164 Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1157 of 1164 Old 10-19-2012, 07:27 PM

I have found another source code for the RTI remote.

http://files.remotecentral.com/view/6346-17524-1/sunfire_theater_grand_preamplifier.html

Anyone have the code for the Harmony?
post #1158 of 1164 Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Bob and Rita's (now defunct btw) was no help. They simply said they don't have the codes or documentation for the original TG. As mentioned, Elan was no help either.

Neither of the linked codes are remotecentral (Pronto or RTI) are anything more than what I have and therefore not going to help. To be clear, the original Theater Grand has several functions that were ONLY available from the remote. These included the Subwoofer and Surround level and crossover settings. The linked codes are in one case, not complete and only have basic functions (that I already have) and on the other case are for the TGII or newer and don't work on the TG1.

If anybody has a working remote, I would be more than happy to pay them for their time in learning the codes to a universal. It is hard to fathom that nobody out there has done this yet!

Thanks,

Bill
post #1159 of 1164 Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post

I have two questions regarding the TGIV:

[*] Does anybody find the IR receiver on the TGIV weak?
[*] Is there a simple IR receiver that can plug into the rear jack?

My equipment room is in the back of the room and every other component responds to IR signals from a Harmony 880 pointed at the front of the room because signals reflect back from the projector screen. The TGIV is the only one that must be pointed at directly to work reliably.

Assuming I can't improve the built-in IR receiver -- is there a simple external IR receiver I can add to improve performance? I tried using a remote IR receiver I had spare from a cable box -- it has the proper plug but doesn't seem to work at all (no response if I block the built-in IR) -- so I guess that IR receiver isn't compatible with what's required for the Sunfire. I'm looking for an IR receiver that is as simple as possible since it will sit just one shelf up from where the TGIV sits now.

Replying to my own post to update with the solution. The external IR input on the back of the Sunfire (TGIV in my case) will NOT work with a passive IR cable (i.e. an unpowered IR sensor with a 1/8" mono jack) -- a passive IR cable will plug in but it won't do anything. However, it will work with a powered IR repeater that has mono 1/8" outputs. I used the Sewell SW-29311 kit. It comes with only IR blaster cables, so if you want to connect it to the external IR input on the back panel of the Sunfire, you need to supply your own cable with 1/8" mono plugs on both ends. The listing on Amazon gives about 5 close-up pictures of what the unit looks like. There is a different style of Sewell IR repeater on Amazon that's a little cheaper (about $27), but reviews weren't as good on it and I couldn't confirm that it used mono 1/8" jacks because the listing didn't have pictures. The Sewell model I bought has 6 output jacks, so it could support 6 directly connected devices (using your own cables). For IR blasting, it comes with 4 cables, with each cable having 2 IR blasters, so it can control 8 devices by blasting out of the box and apparently could support a total of 12 if you buy 2 additional IR blaster cables.

I think the Sewell is well designed and seems pretty high quality, so I would recommend it. That being said, my feeling is that any powered IR repeater that has mono 1/8" IR output jacks would probably work. Monoprice has a powered repeater that is under $11 (plus shipping) and appears to have mono 1/8" jacks on the blaster output from the photos, so I would guess that this one would also work with the Sunfire (I haven't tried it obviously, so I can't be 100% certain). I went with the Sewell SW-29311 because user reviews are better and quality seemed higher than the Monoprice unit, but on a tighter budget monoprice would seem worth a try.

If you have flaky IR response on the Sunfire, this should fix it. Mine has always been flaky because the Sunfire seems a little weak on IR reception to start with and the IR path in my room is partially obstructed (by drums that can't be moved). It is 1000% better since I added the external IR sensor, so I am pretty happy to have it solved.
post #1160 of 1164 Old 08-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Hello All:

I had initially tried to teach my Logitech Harmony 650 remote the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver joystick pad codes from my original Sunfire Remote - no luck, for some reason, even though the commands were accepted in MyHarmony.com. The joystick, as you all know, is essential for changing menu options in the receivers/pre-amps.

After dealing with Logitech tech support for a few weeks, and providing control codes to them from the "Sunfire Theater Grand III and Ultimate Receiver Pronto codes Rev D.PDF", they got the CursorUp and CursorDown functions working, but the problem was that this file doesn't contain the CursorLeft and CursorRight codes for the Sunfire Receiver or Theater Grand III joystick pad. Sunfire tech support was not much help, nor URC, the remote manufacturer.

As a last ditch effort, I tried again to learn to the harmony 650 the CursorLeft and CursorRight from the original remote - this time it WORKED! So the full joystick navigation functions are now in the Harmony database. The Harmony is a great piece of engineering, and tech support is good.
post #1161 of 1164 Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 40
The URC-R40 "My Friendly Remote" has the codes in it's memory for my Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor. EVERYTHING works the same as my original remote does but unlike the original remote where you could only change the input name on the OSD, you can also change the input name on the remote display. After years of hitting DVD for my DirecTv, I now have DirecTv printed on the remote to replace the DVD inoput.. This is one sweet replacement for any Sunfire processor remote control imho. smile.gif

Cheers,
Robin
post #1162 of 1164 Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello I'm hoping someone could tell me about what a sunfire ultimate receiver would sell for on the used market today I'm looking to buy one that's up for sale
post #1163 of 1164 Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can you help me with im trying to figure out which is the new sunfire processor
Theater grand or theater grand 4
Where can I find the line up of these models reagrding which is newer
post #1164 of 1164 Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Theater grand was the generic name for a Sunfire processor. The first one was just called theater grand with no other designations. This was followed by adding a number for subsequent released until they hit 5. They then went to specific model numbers like TGP-401, but still called a Theater Grand. The Sunfire website has manuals starting with the TG3. SJ
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sunfire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page