Receiver HDMI input cuts our when using wall dimmer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Receiver HDMI input cuts our when using wall dimmer

Hello All!
New to the forums here, and fairly new to A/V in general. I moved into a new house that had a perfect spot for a home theater, so I've been working on it myself for the better part of 6 months or so. Now that I'm finally nearing completion I have a very strange issue, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen to them. Whenever I use my wall dimmer for my 6 LED recessed lights while the projector is on and connected to the receiver - the input drops on the receiver, and it loses signal. I can take the HDMI that goes from the projector to the receiver (In the ceiling), and plug it directly into a PS3 and it works fine - never drops signal or input. I've done some searching on these forums and found someone who had a very similar issue, and others were saying that it could be the dimmer that would be the culprit due to some of them putting out a lot of electrical noise when in use, but never actually saw a resolution in the thread. Is this possible being that the PS3 input never drops if I bypass the receiver? Can receivers be overly sensitive to electrical noise through the HDMI? I did take special care when running the HDMI to keep the cables at least 1ft away from any parallel electrical, and only crossing at 90 degrees. I do have some things I want to try this evening after work, but hopefully someone else has run into this issue, and I can save some time and frustration

Projector: Viewsonic precision pro 8100
Receiver: Yamaha RXV-677
Wall Dimmer: Lutron Caseta

I plan on doing the following:
Running the receivers power to a different circuit via an extension cord to test
Swapping out the dimmer for a standard wall switch
Running an HDMI from the projector to the receiver NOT in the wall as a test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson5113 View Post
I plan on doing the following:
Running the receivers power to a different circuit via an extension cord to test
Swapping out the dimmer for a standard wall switch
Running an HDMI from the projector to the receiver NOT in the wall as a test

Sounds like you are off to a good start here. This will rule out the circuit/outlet, the dimmer, and the HDMI cable.

How long of a run is it from the receiver to the projector?
Have you tried resetting the AVR?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2016, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And does the HDMI receiver -> projector work when you plug a non-HDMI source into the receiver?

My Marantz recently decided to choke on HDMI inputs, and I dubbed it broken. It started intermittently, and then over a few months just started happening all the time.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Being an installer we have run into this several times. You need a different dimmer or just use a switch. Some dimmers are very noisy ant it is affecting one of the components in your system. There are other ways to correct the electrical noise but the more simple surge protectors on your equipment don't work, you need a good power conditioner or sub-panel for your equipment. Either way it is easier to try a different brand dimmer or use a switch. We see this most often with HDMI extenders and fan or light dimmers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page