I'm getting Korean radio through my subwoofer - pioneer elite vsx-45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-29-2016, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm getting Korean radio through my subwoofer - pioneer elite vsx-45

I have an odd one... I just moved and hooked up my home theater. I have a pioneer elite vsx-45 with an onkyo subwoofer. I connected the subwoofer with a phone cable, like I did on the last set up, but this time the subwoofer is somehow picking up a Korean radio transmission. Doesn't matter which selection I am on for the reciever, BD, CBL, CD etc all gets the Korean radio.

Anyone know what is going on? I don't have the reciever set up with an antenna.

The only other new thing that happened is that I bought a Vizio M70-C3 as my new display device. And I'm using ARC for getting TV audio to the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7314 Post(s)
Liked: 3367
Better than hearing it from your mouth.

Not sure what "phone cable" means but try using a coax digital cable (ie. better shielding). As a test, you can use a "yellow" composite video cable if available.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do you live in a bigger city that has a substantial Korean population? You might be living near the transmission tower of a "local" "low power" "possibly unlicensed" station.

The "phone cable" you use I assume is a "phono cable" i.e. has RCA plugs at each end. If you are using a regular cable that isn't shielded, it can act like an antenna for things like radio stations - and that composite yellow plug cable jdsmoothie suggested would be no better. Coax cables that have RCA plugs at each end are usually very well shielded.

I used way too many "quotation marks" above, but coffee hasn't kicked in, so sorry.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you live in the middle of nowhere with no known Korean neighbors, then the radio signal means you are probably under North Korean surveillance and they got sloppy again with their listening bugs, and you should probably not watch "The Interview" anytime soon.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page