ARC, HDR Please help answer a few questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By IntricateAshton

post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ARC, HDR Please help answer a few questions

ok so I am still trying to learn and everytime I think I have it figured out something new confuses me. I know I may be complicating things, but please help set me clear if you can.

Building a feature wall for my new Samsung 55JS8500 and will be buying a new receiver to hook everything up to. My question is this...
MUST I use the ARC HDMI on both the TV and the receiver in order to use a single cable? I will only have a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Does it matter wich HDMI inputs I use?
All devices I have will be conncted to the receiver via HDMI. Nothing is connected directly to the TV other than the monitor out.

Xbox One
Comcast Cable Box
Samsung 4K BluRay Player (pre ordered)

My old receiver is an HK AVR 1650 which obviously will not pass 4K so I have been looking at the Denon AVR S910W or the AVR X3200W.
Im thinking the 910 will be all that I need BUT I am confused yet again. HDR, yes i know what it is but do i need a receiver that also has HDR capabilities even though my TV already does? Is it like 4K upscaling in that one or the other will perform the upscaling and not both? Im proud of myself because I built my feature wall myself by asking those smarter than me certain questions, lol, like what I am doing now. Learning. Pics show my progress from start to present. (not quite finished yet)

Last edited by IntricateAshton; 02-01-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I feel your pain. Digital technology is just not wired in my DNA. I feel like I've been left behind while I try to absorb things. On the positive side, it sure is rewarding when things start coming together. I just watched "No Escape" with Owen Wilson and Lake Bell...an intense movie with lots of LFE along with a great sound track. I can't imagine watching something like that without the surround sound turned on!

Help is always on the way!
As for the ARC, I have my sources connected HDMI to the receiver, and out of the receiver to the ARC input on the TV. If I'm using the apps on the TV I appreciate the ARC. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I hear a lot of people saying that they don't use it due to issues. I would continue with one HDMI as you mentioned unless you start having issues with it.
I have similar questions and confusion. For example: My DVD player, receiver, and TV all have video adjustments. I have a "Direct or Processing" setting in the receivers menu. It stays on "Direct" until I can comprehend what is happening in the chain of equipment that is connected...
BTW, nice job on the built in! It looks very nice. Does that cool fireplace put out a lot of heat? So close to the TV.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I will keep things as I had them using the HK receiver and see how it goes. Hope we get some technical explanations still...lol
Thanks again for the compliments. The electric fireplace puts out 4400 BTU and has 3 modes of output. Heat isnt an issue for the TV as it will sit recessed in the black part of the feature wall. We will only really be using it lightly in the winter cool evening. Being in Florida it wont get much use on heat. Thankfully the heat fan can be turned off leaving a choice of either cool blue flame effect or traditional orange/red. More of a visual inclusion than a function. (Wife wanted it, you know how that is)
post #4 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10328 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateAshton View Post
ok so I am still trying to learn and everytime I think I have it figured out something new confuses me. I know I may be complicating things, but please help set me clear if you can.

Bulding a feature wall for my new Samsung 55JS8500 and will be buying a new receiver to hook everything up to. My question is this
MUST I use the ARC HDMI on both the TV and the receiver in order to use a single cable? I will only have a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. Does it matter wich HDMI inputs I use?
All devices I have will be conncted to the receiver via HDMI. Nothing is connected directly to the TV other than the monitor out.

Xbox One
Comcast Cable Box

My old receiver is an HK AVR 1650 which obviously will not pass 4K so I have been looking at the Denon AVR S910W or the AVR X3200W.
Im thinking the 910 will be all that I need BUT I am confused yet again. HDR, yes i know what it is but do i need a receiver that also has HDR capabilities even though my TV already does? Is it like 4K upscaling in that one or the other will perform the upscaling and not both? Im proud of myself because I built my feature wall myself by asking those smarter than me certain questions, lol, like what I am doing now. Learning. Pics show my progress from start to present. (not quite finished yet)
Very nice setup!

1. Yes, you must use HDMI(ARC) if you only want to use one cable connecting the TV--> AVR. If you want to pass the TV smart app (ie. Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, etc.) audio back to the AVR, you have two choices, either HDMI(ARC) using the single HDMI cable that connects the AVR to the TV (connected to the one HDMI input on the TV that says "ARC") or you can also connect an optical cable from the TV --> AVR (which is a wise idea as HDMI(ARC) doesn't always work correctly).

2. Yes, just as with HDCP 2.2, both the TV and AVR must be HDMI 2.0a(HDR) capable. Note the Denon models you are considering are scheduled to get the DTS:X update later this spring which will also include the required HDMI 2.0a(HDR) update as well (as the hardware is already installed).

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

jdsmoothie, lol I was HOPING you would chime in! Thank you for your time and exertise. I appreciate it. As with Espo77, thank you sincerely for the compliments on my efforts. Cant wait to install the stone tiles on the front of the wall. Still have to have Silestone counter tops cut for the audio cabinets and install the reclaimed wood shelves above each audio cabinets. I know the AVR S910 is on the lower end, in you opinion is it decent enough for my set up? I like the X3200 but wifey is watching my "spending" lol. I dont need pre outs or anything like that... oh wait, the S910 has HDR correct? Better look at the specificatios again. I know ill only be able to buy this under the radar once before "she" is onto me and sends up a S.C.U.D missile to ground my splurging!

So with the update the S910 will have HDR capabilities?

Last edited by IntricateAshton; 01-31-2016 at 08:25 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Love the cabinet you built & the stone work should look awesome. Thinking of doing something similar with stone directly on the Sheetrock wall at our vacation house. Room has a 2 ft deep cut-in into wall about 11 feet wide so perfect set up for TV & electric fireplaces. And yes, we will be getting a larger TV, that is an older Panny 42" Plasma.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I love this cut out! This is something like I want to do upstairs in our bonus room. Gonna try n make it into my man cave but I have to close it off with a wall/door and then there is the whole sound proofing. Another art that I must master before I can plan that room out. lol Thanks for sharing, thats a beautiful room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Love the cabinet you built & the stone work should look awesome. Thinking of doing something similar with stone directly on the Sheetrock wall at our vacation house. Room has a 2 ft deep cut-in into wall about 11 feet wide so perfect set up for TV & electric fireplaces. And yes, we will be getting a larger TV, that is an older Panny 42" Plasma.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so i just bought my new receiver online! Went with a brand new AVR S910W. I used a coupon code and Wikibuy to find the best deal, and went thru Jet.com.
Total shipped price was $438.92. Im happy its all coming together. LOVE this forum! It truly is a wealth of knowledge.
yanks1 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Ok, so i just bought my new receiver online! Went with a brand new AVR S910W. I used a coupon code and Wikibuy to find the best deal, and went thru Jet.com.
Total shipped price was $438.92. Im happy its all coming together. LOVE this forum! It truly is a wealth of knowledge.
I've always had Sony AVRs. I can buy a refurbished Denon, same model for ~ $380 with tax, free shipping. How are they to use? Any problems you can share would be appreciated. That model you bought has all the specs I want.

Rich
post #10 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
jdsmoothie, lol I was HOPING you would chime in! Thank you for your time and exertise. I appreciate it. As with Espo77, thank you sincerely for the compliments on my efforts. Cant wait to install the stone tiles on the front of the wall. Still have to have Silestone counter tops cut for the audio cabinets and install the reclaimed wood shelves above each audio cabinets. I know the AVR S910 is on the lower end, in you opinion is it decent enough for my set up? I like the X3200 but wifey is watching my "spending" lol. I dont need pre outs or anything like that... oh wait, the S910 has HDR correct? Better look at the specificatios again. I know ill only be able to buy this under the radar once before "she" is onto me and sends up a S.C.U.D missile to ground my splurging!

So with the update the S910 will have HDR capabilities?
Yes, all of the 2015 Denon AVRs have HDMI 2.0(HDR) capability, once received with the DTS:X update later this spring.

Quote:
Unfortunately, AFAIK, this is not an authorized dealer, so Denon will not honor the warranty should your unit require warranty repair.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

post #11 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Bulding a feature wall for my new Samsung 55JS8500 and will be buying a new receiver to hook everything up to. My question is this

Xbox One
Comcast Cable Box

Im thinking the 910 will be all that I need BUT I am confused yet again. HDR, yes i know what it is but do i need a receiver that also has HDR capabilities even though my TV already does? Is it like 4K upscaling in that one or the other will perform the upscaling and not both? Im proud of myself because I built my feature wall myself by asking those smarter than me certain questions, lol, like what I am doing now. Learning.
I guess I'm a little confused. If you have HDMI outs from each of your components going into your AVR, why wouldn't you use (1) HDMI out from the AVR to your TV? You certainly wouldn't need ARC this way (since HDMI passes both audio/video) & you would only have (1) cable as you want. Maybe I'm mis-understanding your set-up.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich584 View Post
I've always had Sony AVRs. I can buy a refurbished Denon, same model for ~ $380 with tax, free shipping. How are they to use? Any problems you can share would be appreciated. That model you bought has all the specs I want.

Rich
Thanks Rich I will pass along my experiences. Im sure these can be bought refurbished for less but I really dont like buying certain items refurbished, I prefer new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, all of the 2015 Denon AVRs have HDMI 2.0(HDR) capability, once received with the DTS:X update later this spring.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, this is not an authorized dealer, so Denon will not honor the warranty should your unit require warranty repair.
Thank you for the update to my concern. I am pretty excited about HDR. as far as authorized dealers and warranty, neither Wikibut or Jet.com are the retailer...they are just a few avenues I went thru to get the best price. I guess if I had looked closer and seen that not only are you here in Florida, in Orlando, I could have inquired about this thru you! Sorry I was quite excited to get this part of the puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I guess I'm a little confused. If you have HDMI outs from each of your components going into your AVR, why wouldn't you use (1) HDMI out from the AVR to your TV? You certainly wouldn't need ARC this way (since HDMI passes both audio/video) & you would only have (1) cable as you want. Maybe I'm mis-understanding your set-up.

Ken
Lol, dont be...I assure you I am confused enough for both of us. I do have my present system setup like this, as I stated in my original post. My question was IF I had to use the ARC from the AVR AND the TV. I have always conected all components to the receiver via HDMI and then a single HDMI out to the TV. I was asking because I was planning to use HMDI out from the AVR to HDMI 1 in on the Samsung OneConnect.....HDMI 4 is the ARC in on the OneConnect.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

jdsmoothie, the retailer is Zorro Sounds out of NJ...because you had my stomach in my throat, I called Denon directly and they reassured me that Zorro Sounds is an authorized dealer. Thanks for your heads up though. Would have been a shame if an issue came up and I needed warranty help and was SOL because the dealer wasnt authorized by Denon. Appreciate ya!

Last edited by IntricateAshton; 02-01-2016 at 01:48 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I guess I'm a little confused. If you have HDMI outs from each of your components going into your AVR, why wouldn't you use (1) HDMI out from the AVR to your TV? You certainly wouldn't need ARC this way (since HDMI passes both audio/video) & you would only have (1) cable as you want. Maybe I'm mis-understanding your set-up. Ken
Some use the apps inside the tv like Netflix and use arc return audio to get that back to the stereo.
Optical from the tv to stereo works better, but now there are two cables! Even better is buy a hdmi
streaming device and bail on using the tv for anything except video. Chromecast is $35.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yep! It may be a waste, lol, but i wont be using the apps with the JS8500, if anything I would just use them thru the XboxOne. Movies would also be handled thru the XboxOne and 4k movies thru the new 4K Blu Ray Samsung player. One cable works better for me now as ive run all the wires inside the wall. Wont be an easy task to open it back up just to run an optical cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Some use the apps inside the tv like Netflix and use arc return audio to get that back to the stereo.
Optical from the tv to stereo works better, but now there are two cables! Even better is buy a hdmi
streaming device and bail on using the tv for anything except video. Chromecast is $35.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-02-2016, 02:03 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
jdsmoothie, the retailer is Zorro Sounds out of NJ...because you had my stomach in my throat, I called Denon directly and they reassured me that Zorro Sounds is an authorized dealer. Thanks for your heads up though. Would have been a shame if an issue came up and I needed warranty help and was SOL because the dealer wasnt authorized by Denon. Appreciate ya!
Great! Jet told me that Buy.com was the dealer.

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread