New Receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 5 Old Today, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Receiver?

I'm contemplating getting a new receiver and would like some opinions. My current set up is Klipsch RF3 Main towers, center, and surrounds, with a PSA XV15 sub. I have an older Denon 2803 from like 2000 and wondering if upgrading will give me any better sound experience. My room is 20 x 15 and I have a 65' LED. I'm also considering upgrading so I can run all audio and video through the receiver Vs. my current setup of running HDMI to my TV and optical cables to the receiver, along with all the new bells and whistles of blue-tooth streaming audio options. I'm not sure which level of receiver might be best. I like my Denon, but am open to other brands that would pair well with my set-up. I'm currently considering the Denon 2200, but I'm wondering if lesser models would serve my purpose and be cheaper? I don't have Atmos set-up nor 4K. I could see myself potentially getting 4K in the coming years, but standard HD serves me fine for now. What are your thoughts on upgrading, will it improve my sound, and suggestions for brand/model that would be appropriate and not overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKirkpat View Post
I'm contemplating getting a new receiver and would like some opinions. My current set up is Klipsch RF3 Main towers, center, and surrounds, with a PSA XV15 sub. I have an older Denon 2803 from like 2000 and wondering if upgrading will give me any better sound experience. My room is 20 x 15 and I have a 65' LED. I'm also considering upgrading so I can run all audio and video through the receiver Vs. my current setup of running HDMI to my TV and optical cables to the receiver, along with all the new bells and whistles of blue-tooth streaming audio options. I'm not sure which level of receiver might be best. I like my Denon, but am open to other brands that would pair well with my set-up. I'm currently considering the Denon 2200, but I'm wondering if lesser models would serve my purpose and be cheaper? I don't have Atmos set-up nor 4K. I could see myself potentially getting 4K in the coming years, but standard HD serves me fine for now. What are your thoughts on upgrading, will it improve my sound, and suggestions for brand/model that would be appropriate and not overkill?

In general, the receivers that have the best speaker drive capabilities, and resulting best sound quality, are those from NAD, Arcam, and Cambridge Audio. Marantz is not quite as good, but better than most of the rest.

No, they are not cheap. Neither are BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche.

If it is better engineered and going to perform better, it is not going to be the cheapest one.

The NAD T758 is $999 and is what I would recommend to you. It is a very good receiver with perhaps less "bells and whistles" but top sound quality.

As far as my personal opinion goes, I think Atmos is total BS; a band-aid to try to make cheap gear sound "better". It is for people who would like to buy lots of cheap crap instead of putting the money into better-quality speakers. Some think that more is better rather than better is better.

And as far as 4K goes, a Sony rep I ran into at Best Buy told me that most of the people at Sony have no confidence in its future and doubt if the movie industry is going to get behind it and produce the content required to make it successful.

Last edited by commsysman; Today at 12:15 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 80
the 2200 is a great receiver,
if you wanted to drop down the 710and 910 were rated the best in thier price range from wirecutter
the 910 can often be found under $50 above the 710 and would be a better choice

the 2200 has a better room correction

if you wanted to save money and are not worried about atmos or 4k then the 2100 would be an option

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4 of 5 Unread Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here is a Denon 3100W for only $449 w/free shipping. It is factory refurbished and is a great deal. I got the Marantz SR6009 myself, but wished I had opted for the 3100W instead. The reason being, they are essentially the same receiver. But, the Marantz was $100 more. I highly recommend acc4less as they are great people to deal with. here is a link for YOU:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

They also offer the 2200 but it is NOT in stock right now. Hope this is helpful to YOU.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here is a Denon 3100W for only $449 w/free shipping. It is factory refurbished and is a great deal. I got the Marantz SR6009 myself, but wished I had opted for the 3100W instead. The reason being, they are essentially the same receiver. But, the Marantz was $100 more. I highly recommend acc4less as they are great people to deal with. Here is a link for YOU:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

They also offer the 2200 but it is NOT in stock right now. Have had zero issues with my Marantz. Hope this is helpful to YOU.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors