AVS Forum banner

Travails of a new Yamaha 2050 and a request for advice

257 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jack__flack 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new Yamaha 2050 and have been working to get it set up this weekend. I am coming from a Pioneer Elite SC-07 that died (in a pretty spectacular way) last week. Loved all my Pioneers, but given that I cannot find any place within 200 miles to get mine fixed, decided to try something different.

I usually play my content through an HTPC connected to a backend NAS. However, I had issues getting my HTPC to play well with the 2050. After purchasing a new graphics card for the HTPC and many tears, I've traced an issue to the 2050.

HDMI port 2 of the 2050 has systematically killed the HDMI ports on my HTPC (including the new graphics card) and left them with the ability to "see" a monitor/TV on the other end but without the ability to actually pass a video/audio signal to them. HDMI port 2 of the 2050 won't pass any type of video signal and kills basically any HDMI source that is connected to it.

So the Yamaha is going back this morning. The sound on the Yamaha is fine, but didn't knock me over and I don't like it as well as my previous SC-07. I don't think the Yamaha auto calibration is as good as the Pioneer for my setup.

I watch mainly movies and other video content. I have the choice of going with another Yamaha, a Marantz 7010 (or the equivalent Dennon, which seem to be the same unit anymore) or a Pioneer SC-97. I hesitant to go with the Pioneer given my previous experience trying to get my old Pioneer serviced (and it doesn't seem to stack up as well in the feature comparison). I'm leery of another Yamaha given it has taken me some 20 hours over the weekend (and who knows how much in repair) to sort out the problem that I've been experiencing. However, the Dennon thread seems full of folks that are having problems with things that shouldn't be an issue (like network connectivity).

I'm kinda stuck and not sure which way to jump. Any advice? Spending somewhere between $1500-$2100 on a receiver shouldn't be this problematic, but since it is such a big purchase, I'm having trouble getting comfortable with one of these brands.

See less See more
#3 ·
Did you try changing the "HDMI Out 2 Assign" setting to either Zone 2 or Zone 4?
I'm probably not being clear (a common problem). It is the HDMI input #2 that seems to kill whatever I plug into it. I'm only using the one HDMI out since I really only use the receiver with my Sony 4k TV (love that thing). The other HDMI inputs seem to work with what remaining devices I have (HTPC is useless until I can get it repaired - going to try to RMA the motherboard), but obviously this Yamaha is going back.

Do you like the Marantz/Dennon? I haven't ever owned one, but it looks like I may be buying one. When I listened to them at the shop, they didn't wow me with the sound, but that could be a setup issue, or any number of things. The complaints in the "official" owners threads make me hesitate a little as it seems like they are longer, with more problems than any other receiver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.