Driving speakers w/2 Channel Amp vs 7 Channel AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2016, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Driving speakers w/2 Channel Amp vs 7 Channel AVR

Wanted to post this because I see comments many times here on driving music and what sounds better.

At our vacation home I drive in one of our 2 systems fairly new Chane A3-rxc speakers with a Yamaha 7.1 AVR that has 95 watts per channel. I always thought it sounded good and have good punch, they are also paired with an Outlaw X12 sub.

Drove down yesterday from our primary residence & brought down my 2 channel 100 watt Parasound amp. The Yamaha AVR has pre-outs so I tested in 2 channel stereo mode several songs driving one channel through the amp and the other one with the Yamaha AVR. It is a night & day difference, i was playing a live Fleetwood Mac CD. I thought the difference would be minor, but on my sampling today it's definitely major. The amp adds a lot more punch and richness to the Chanes. Even a novice could easily hear the difference

When I purchase a new Atmos/DTS AVR this convinces me to ensure it has pre-outs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 261
It is likely, I am sad to report, that the difference in sound was because the amp happens to have a higher input sensitivity, so that it is just a bit louder than the AVR at any given volume control setting. IOW, it is likely that just turning up the AVR a few dB will yield the same apparent sonic improvements.

It is really hard to accurately compare two different amplification devices, what with needing precise level matching and, for humans, a method to take away our ability to know which device we are listening to at any given moment (or on any given channel).

Admittedly, at my listening levels with my speakers, I likely hit my max level (around 95 dB, with dialog at around 75 dB with less than ten watts). Unless one of the amps is designed to be inaccurate, I've come, slowly, to the realization that transparent is transparent, inaudible distortion is inaudible, and Ohm's law prevents, in an absolute kinda way, 10 watts from a 50 watt amp from being any different in any respect from 10 watts from a 100 watt amp (assuming both are designed to be accurate - - there are some, especially AIUI British amps from the early CD era, that are intentionally designed to be inaccurate - - that is, to have a little higher-frequency rolloff. Those may well sound different in careful auditioning, since they ARE different in audibly meaningful ways).
Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Driving speakers w/2 Channel Amp vs 7 Channel AVR

I hear you; perhaps the Amp is more sensitive than the Yamaha AVR; I can't turn the AVR up without both speaker levels rising while doing a compare. I'd have to lower volume control a little on the Parasound amp for that specific speaker that it's driving; Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement