Yamaha Aventage receivers vs. Denon receivers... Who takes the cake? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #31 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Agree, Yamaha's app is so much nicer. Denon's app is slow with less features. If you have iOS supposedly the DeRemote app is better.
Except... from what I have seen in demo mode, the Yamaha app can't replace the remote as completed as the Denon app. The Denon can actually be used to set up the system (or alter the set up of the system, channel levels, amp assign, room correction, etc). The Yamaha can't (at least not in the demo mode). There is no way to bring up the unit's on screen display or move the cursor around if you could.

I am still leaning towards the Yamaha, but that is a strike against it.

The DeRemote app is robust, but it includes options and selections that the Denon receiver it is connected to does not actually have.... so there are a bunch of DSP modes listed that I can tap and nothing happens. I have not found a way to customize it and remove the things I can't use, but it seems like that is something that could best be handled by a database that knows what feature each unit has and only displays those for the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
Can YPAO eq dual subs independently like Audyssey? I know it has two outputs on the Aventage units, but I wasn't sure if it actually could eq them separately like Multi-eq xt32?
Yes they are two separate dedicated outs (not just an internal Y splitter)
brianmlamb likes this.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2
post #33 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Yes they are two separate dedicated outs (not just an internal Y splitter)
Awesome thank you. Definitely puts the 1050 back as a top contender for me.

Another question: The YPAO difference between the 3050 and 1050/2050 (3D and angle adjustments) is primarily just for Atmos correct? If I don't plan on using Atmos the 1050 would still give me everything I want out of a 5.2 setup? I have a reflective open room so any help I can get from room correction is a priority for me.

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, Samsung PN60F8500

post #34 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
Except... from what I have seen in demo mode, the Yamaha app can't replace the remote as completed as the Denon app. The Denon can actually be used to set up the system (or alter the set up of the system, channel levels, amp assign, room correction, etc). The Yamaha can't (at least not in the demo mode). There is no way to bring up the unit's on screen display or move the cursor around if you could.

I am still leaning towards the Yamaha, but that is a strike against it.

The DeRemote app is robust, but it includes options and selections that the Denon receiver it is connected to does not actually have.... so there are a bunch of DSP modes listed that I can tap and nothing happens. I have not found a way to customize it and remove the things I can't use, but it seems like that is something that could best be handled by a database that knows what feature each unit has and only displays those for the user.

The Android App on my Samsung S6 Galaxy Edge
and Galaxy Tab E tablet both have FULL control of my RX-A3050

All I need to do is hit "remote" in the options menu,
Then hit the "on-screen" button and it can scroll through every setup page that's available.
...just like the physical remote.

If you don't actually have one, you shouldn't say it doesn't work
The "Demo" cant possible display "on screen information" on your TV/Projector screen
without an actual Yamaha AVR in your room LOL!

...is there not a disclaimer that says not all features are available in the demo version?

If that's still not enough for the average "control freak"
there's an even more detailed web interface you can use with a laptop
where you can also save multiple backups and configurations/calibrations.

Just type your Yamaha's IP address into your browser and connect wireless through your home wifi router

JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Drop Down Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Oppo UPD-203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS-5000R x2

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-28-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #35 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
The Android App on my Samsung S6 Galaxy Edge
and Galaxy Tab E tablet both have FULL control of my RX-A3050

If you don't actually have one, you shouldn't say it doesn't work
The "Demo" cant possible display "on screen information" on your TV/Projector screen
without an actual Yamaha AVR in your room LOL!

...is there not a disclaimer that says not all features are available in the demo version?
I didn't say it doesn't work... I said the demo mode doesn't show it.

Thanks for the screen shots. You just removed one of the negatives of the Yamaha for me. I asked about this in elsewhere and got dead air. I guess I should have formed my question as a brand/model insult for faster and more accurate info. I have confirmed that neither the iOS app nor the Android app have the "remote" selection under options in the demo mode.

Why send out a demo app that doesn't show all of the features? As far as the demo not showing an on screen display - I do have a Yamaha AVR in the room - two of them actually (DSP-A1 and a V2065), but I didn't expect them to output an OSD... duh (that would be a helluva demo app), but shouldn't the demo version of the app not include the buttons that would call up such a display? (the otherwise terrible Denon app does)

The disclaimer instead suggests that the demo includes more features/options that you might actually end up with depending on what model Yamaha you buy. "Demo Some features are not available on some models"
post #36 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The YouTube demo of the Yamaha AV controller is a couple years old now (ver 4.0,
the current version is 4.4) but it shows the "Remote" at the bottom of the options menu at 1:30

...note just above the "remote" it also tells you if your AVR's firmware is up to date
or if there is a new release ready for download/install

The App is also handy for quick access to 12 different "Scene" presets
..instead of just the 4 buttons on the remote.

Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-28-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #37 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post
FINALLY I've narrowed down my receiver choices (gonna be running a Klipsch Reference Premiere setup), to either:

A) the Yamaha Aventage A2050 or

B) the Denon X4200W

Both are the same price and pack pretty much the same features

WHICH one would have the upper hand in pure insane THEATER sound (explosions and bass and punch and all that jazz)

I will not be using this for music listening (I prefer headphones for music)
For what you are after in sound quality, I'd go Yamaha all day, everyday over Denon. I've never understood the fascination with Denon. They are great with features, but mediocre on sound quality. Denon is definately not what they used to be.
mdbrown and lowend15 like this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #38 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 PM

Cool.

Thanks again (for the info on the app features missing from the demo).

This just eliminated Denon and Marantz from consideration.

I just have to decide between refurb 3040 (with 7.1 input for less money) and refurb 3050 or new 3050 (without 7.1, but with HDCP 2.2 for more money). I don't currently need anything that the 3050 has over the 3040. Irritated that they removed the external input and unsure that something new won't happen between now and my getting a 4K projector that would require a later upgrade anyway. And I am seriously doubting that DTS:X (for all 4 titles) is going to sound all that different from an upmixer applied to a 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack.
post #39 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Another vote for Yamaha.. Higher reliability than Denon..

Just my $0.02..
What do you think of the new Sony ES AV Receivers (sound quality and reliability)?
post #40 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have to say I'm in the minority, but I take Denon all day everyday over Yamaha. Here's why.

1. I prefer audysey to ypao.
2. The Yamahas I've heard in homes have sounded flat unless played at reference level. My Denon with dynamic eq and/or dynamic volume has incredible clarity and separation at all listening levels.
3. The most important, the history of Yamaha bench testing is nothing short of pathetic. Their receivers with 100 plus wattage ratings consistently test at half that with ACD. Those bench tests may not be real world applicable, but they are indicative of the power of these units. Look up any Denon or marantz, and you will consistently see bench testing significantly higher than the Yamahas.
post #41 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Denon uses the same AK4458VN DAC as the Marantz 7702mk2 preamp (D&M Holdings owning both "brands") and it has more HDMI connections. Yamaha uses 2 ES9006 DACs which can also be found in their most expensive amplified receiver. Does it matter regarding sound??? Probably not, as the various stages of the signal are just as important, and both sound pretty good. Personally I am not a fan of Denon receivers which is why I've never bought one, but FWIW I have a 20 year old Yamaha that still works and still powers some older Def Tecs in in my basement bar in a 5.1 setup. It was my first step into HT, and while it's not worth anything now the fact that it still musters the troops is something I consider admirable with a nod to Yamaha.
post #42 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
What do you think of the new Sony ES AV Receivers (sound quality and reliability)?
Great questions..
But can't comment as no hands-on experience, but their features look strong..
Note that Sony is trying hard to gain credibility in the CEDIA space, but this has to be earned over time not just a given....

Just my $0.02...
post #43 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I had to send 2 of the 3 denon receivers i have owned out for repair. I have had 2 yamaha receivers and they never seem to go bad. Not scientific but i feel yamaha is the more reliable brand
mdbrown and lowend15 like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Marantz AV8802a processor Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS500 projector Vivitek 1186 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R &super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #44 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post
I have to say I'm in the minority, but I take Denon all day everyday over Yamaha. Here's why.

3. The most important, the history of Yamaha bench testing is nothing short of pathetic. Their receivers with 100 plus wattage ratings consistently test at half that with ACD. Those bench tests may not be real world applicable, but they are indicative of the power of these units. Look up any Denon or marantz, and you will consistently see bench testing significantly higher than the Yamahas.
I wish Yamaha would comment on this. If you look at the last Yamaha tested (the 2040), it tested:

2 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 169.7 watts
1% distortion at 195.9 watts

5 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 46.9 watts 1% distortion at 65.4 watts

7 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 42.3 watts
1% distortion at 63.1 watts

The latest Marantz tested was The 7010:
0.1% THD 1.0% THD
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 128.7 watts 168.8 watts
5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 84.3 watts 113.1 watts
7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 83.2 watts 103.4 watts

So driving 2 channels, the second tier Yamaha is more powerful than the top of the line Marantz. That Yamaha 2 channel rating appears to be more powerful than any other receiver driving 2 channels that S&V tested in the preceding 5 years - including the Denon AVR-4520CI. (I was just spot checking on the units that I thought might have a chance to best it, so I might have missed one.) The only thing I saw that was higher was the Onkyo TX-RZ900 which is the unit they most recently reviewed.

Given that the Yamaha does so well with 2 channels, I doubt it is a lightweight in the amplifier department. The multi-channel numbers look like they are about half of what you would expect them to be. It is logical to hypothesize that the circumstances of the test sends the Yamaha into some sort of self preservation mode. A loud burst of an in phase, single frequency sound across all channels under any normal use situation would be a pretty good indicator of some sort of nasty failure or an old school test of the Emergency Broadcast Service.

Again, I wish Yamaha would officially comment.

Last edited by PerryH; 03-28-2016 at 06:21 PM.
post #45 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddvette9 View Post

I wish Yamaha would comment on this. If you look at the last Yamaha tested (the 2040), it tested:

2 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 169.7 watts
1% distortion at 195.9 watts

5 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 46.9 watts 1% distortion at 65.4 watts

7 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 42.3 watts
1% distortion at 63.1 watts

The latest Marantz tested was The 7010:
0.1% THD 1.0% THD
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 128.7 watts 168.8 watts
5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 84.3 watts 113.1 watts
7 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 83.2 watts 103.4 watts

So driving 2 channels, the second tier Yamaha is more powerful than the top of the line Marantz. That Yamaha 2 channel rating appears to be more powerful than any other receiver driving 2 channels that S&V tested in the preceding 5 years - including the Denon AVR-4520CI. (I was just spot checking on the units that I thought might have a chance to best it, so I might have missed one.) The only thing I saw that was higher was the Onkyo TX-RZ900 which is the unit they most recently reviewed.

Given that the Yamaha does so well with 2 channels, I doubt it is a lightweight in the amplifier department. The multi-channel numbers look like they are about half of what you would expect them to be. It is logical to hypothesize that the circumstances of the test sends the Yamaha into some sort of self preservation mode. A loud burst of an in phase, single frequency sound across all channels under any normal use situation would be a pretty good indicator of some sort of nasty failure or an old school test of the Emergency Broadcast Service.

Again, I wish Yamaha would officially comment.
They won't. I've asked them a million times. They don't even post the power consumption numbers on the rear of the receiver. If Yamaha didn't have good reliability or the image of good reliability, they would get ripped on this forum. They sort of hide behind their long history and reliability because their bench testing is pathetic to say the least. Paying over $1,000 for a receiver that's bench tests that poor should be grounds for misrepresentation.
Mike Schacht likes this.
post #46 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yamaha Diehard

I have been buying receivers since 1976.... all Yamaha. Never been disappointed and they all (4) still work.! Latest is the Aventage 1000.
mdbrown and RPGMasta like this.
post #47 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It wouldn't surprise me if the Sound and Vision bench test
was simply putting the newest batch of Yamaha AVR's into protection mode.

I've noticed they have not done any further Yamaha testing since.
Nothing on the 1050,2050 or 3050 at all.

I'll admit I was concerned at first too and had a heavily discounted NAD T955 5 channel amp on reserve
from the same store that sold me my RX-A3050 last month (for the same sticker as their RX-A2050)

Once I got my 3050 home and hooked up for my 7 bed layer speakers,
and my old RX-V3900 setup to run the 4 height/presence speakers all doubts were removed,
and I cancelled the NAD amp purchase. (even though it was half price!)

The thing the bench tests don't account for is MOST Home Theater users run at least 1 powered sub
...that's good enough to more than double your AVR's headroom since the sub 80Hz frequencies account
for the bulk of the draw on the internal amplifiers.

Bench testing all channels at the same time with a continuous sine wave without a sub in the chain
means all speakers are assumed Large and Full Range and No Sub ??? Really? how practical is that?
How many bluray movies require all speakers running full range simultaneously with the exact same signal (sine wave lol) and no sub in the chain? seriously?

My older Yamaha's, an RX-V3900 and an even older RX-V1800 (both still working after 8/9 years)
Both bench tested quite favorably at sound and vision and the new RX-A3050 is just as good, dare I say Better...despite what the bench numbers may show.

Master Volume never needs to exceed -20 and I can hit 80dB
with 100dB peaks at my MLP , room is 14'-6" x 16'-9" (about 2000 cu.ft.)
Max available volume is +16 so I have WAY more headroom than my ears can take without damage.

...and I'm certainly not the only one:

check this thread: Yamaha poor bench testing indicative of deeper issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
It is as simple as they use whatever is higher! I have used 1000 watt mono locks and a Yamaha receiver recently and when watching movies you can not tell the difference so this means we are not using all the power even a receiver has to offer. Unless you are driving 2-4 ohm low sensitive speakers it won't matter. I just sold my Yamaha 2030 and replaced it with 450 watt per channel amps and processor and one can not tell the difference. I only changed for Atmos which makes a much bigger difference.

Even Sound and Vision admitted that their "All Channels Driven"
bench testing was not practical and a non-issue in the Real World
where program signals never demand this level of stability.

For arguments sake,

even "IF" the Denon/Marantz bench tested at Twice the wattage over Yamaha
(by avoiding going into protection mode under an unrealistic stress test)
That is most certainly NOT twice as loud....it's really only 3dB louder, barely perceptible

It actually takes 10x the wattage to produce a volume at 10dB higher,
and to be perceived as sounding twice as loud!

Yes, you would need to have test results showing 500wpc to sound twice as loud as a 50wpc amp.
source: http://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/

Now get realistic and put a powered sub (or better yet 2 or 4 subs) in your room
Utilize Bass Management properly (crossover set to 80Hz) and you'll never need external amplification
...unless you run 9 full range towers that have *****ty efficiency ratings in every speaker position

Bass Management 101

If you run Large full range L/R towers, by all means add an external 2ch amp for those
But there's certainly no need for more than that for most users.

My first Yamaha was in the early 80's (yup 3 decades+ ago)
I've never lost one to any type of failure, never. I've also never needed external amplification.
I simply pass old retired receivers down to younger brothers, move them to other rooms ...or just sell them.

They tend to go obsolete due to format changes like
...new HDMI versions, 3D capablity, DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD and now Atmos/DTS:X, 4K HDCP 2.2/HDR
L-O-N-G before they ever break down.

Still don't believe it, fine

but you better believe the forums would be absolutely Flooded with disappointed Yamaha owners
if they were as drastically under-powered and "Pathetic" as the Denon people would have you believe.

This thread alone should be a testament to the number of satisfied RX-A1050, RX-A2050 and RX-A3050 owners.

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-29-2016 at 03:10 AM.
post #48 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 07:12 PM

I actually lost my DSP A1 to a complete failure of the front display - temporarily.

It was a problem that initially showed up on one side of the display. I would make it come back by thumping the display. This eventually broke the rest of the solder joints connecting the display to the circuit board, and it went completely dark. I figured, what the heck, got out my soldering iron and gave it a go. Fixed in about 45 minutes from teardown to reassembly. Still works perfectly, and I plan on using it to power some subset of my channels when I order my 3040 or 3050 in the coming days.
post #49 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
For what you are after in sound quality, I'd go Yamaha all day, everyday over Denon. I've never understood the fascination with Denon. They are great with features, but mediocre on sound quality. Denon is definately not what they used to be.
If your argument for Yamaha over Denon is sound quality then you really are selling nothing but snake oil. There is no way you can substantiate that claim with anything but subjective non-verifiable nonsense.

I have a Denon X4000 and the sound quality is as I would expect from any modern receiver: impeccable. If I have any complaint about the Denon it is that the front panel and remote are totally non-intuitive and impossible to navigate to accomplish the simplest task without consulting the manual. If you want to do something that you don't do every day, expect to have to consult the manual. I am not sure Yamaha or other brands are better. Modern receivers have become so complicated that the user interface is not keeping up.
CruelInventions and Mkard like this.
post #50 of 126 Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 645
If the Yamaha amps are not capable of driving 5/7ch, surely this would've been noticed by the many people reviewing/using them? I don't recall any comments that they are underpowered. 2x the wattage doesn't even mean much, in practice the wpc numbers are meaningless for most people and are simply a marketing tool - too many times someone will ask about a 90wpc vs 100wpc choice when actually its the same thing.

Yamaha is more reliable, that is the one thing we can all agree on and is borne out by studies. They also have the best remote app.
Denon/Marantz are the only ones who offer Audyssey which seems like the most powerful room EQ solution. But Yamaha's YPAO and MCACC allow you to finetune the EQ, Audyssey does not.

I refuse to believe there's any sound quality difference between receivers or amps, if there is any that's verifiable in a DBT it most likely is easily corrected by simple tone controls found in all of them.
post #51 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
If your argument for Yamaha over Denon is sound quality then you really are selling nothing but snake oil. There is no way you can substantiate that claim with anything but subjective non-verifiable nonsense.

Why not aim this comment @ ddvette9?
post #52 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
Quote:

Because the only objective argument I intended to make is verifiable by simply googling bench test results. My first two points were opinions. My third point from my original point is somewhat verifiable by fact.

But thanks for asking for other people to target my posts. Is that was this forum has come to? Requesting that other members direct their argumentative posts towards others to foster debate?

Very sad if that was your intention. Hopefully I'm not alone in seeing this....
post #53 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:

I have a Denon X4000 and the sound quality is as I would expect from any modern receiver: impeccable. If I have any complaint about the Denon it is that the front panel and remote are totally non-intuitive and impossible to navigate to accomplish the simplest task without consulting the manual. If you want to do something that you don't do every day, expect to have to consult the manual. I am not sure Yamaha or other brands are better. Modern receivers have become so complicated that the user interface is not keeping up.
Dude? Why so thin-skinned? I'm sure that your Denon sounds awesome. And me selling "snake oil"? If so, I'm a poor "salesman". Like everyone else in this this thread, my comment was nothing more than a personal observation; and there is no need (or desire on my part) to "substantiate" it. Enjoy what you selected and stop being so sensitive.
lowend15 likes this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #54 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
Dude? Why so thin-skinned? I'm sure that your Denon sounds awesome. And me selling "snake oil"? If so, I'm a poor "salesman". Like everyone else in this this thread, my comment was nothing more than a personal observation; and there is no need (or desire on my part) to "substantiate" it. Enjoy what you selected and stop being so sensitive.
There is no thin skin involved here. I just believe that comments about which brand of receiver "sounds" better are useless. It is like saying that one brand has a better "aura" than another. There is no difference in sound quality. Anyone basing a decision on such an evaluation is deluding themselves. My comment was not at all based on defending Denon. I have no personal feelings of brand loyalty.
post #55 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
I have no idea why you posted this. I was responding specifically to the person I quoted.
post #56 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If the Yamaha amps are not capable of driving 5/7ch, surely this would've been noticed by the many people reviewing/using them? I don't recall any comments that they are underpowered. 2x the wattage doesn't even mean much, in practice the wpc numbers are meaningless for most people and are simply a marketing tool - too many times someone will ask about a 90wpc vs 100wpc choice when actually its the same thing.

Yamaha is more reliable, that is the one thing we can all agree on and is borne out by studies. They also have the best remote app.
Denon/Marantz are the only ones who offer Audyssey which seems like the most powerful room EQ solution. But Yamaha's YPAO and MCACC allow you to finetune the EQ, Audyssey does not.

I refuse to believe there's any sound quality difference between receivers or amps, if there is any that's verifiable in a DBT it most likely is easily corrected by simple tone controls found in all of them.
Could you link to the studies that show Yamaha as more reliable? I am a bit skeptical, especially since these manufacturers redesign their receivers every year. Any study would be very limited beyond the specific years or models in the study.

I sell computers and I regularly run into customers who believe one brand is better or worse than another in reliability, often based on a sample size of one from 10 years ago.
post #57 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why you posted this. I was responding specifically to the person I quoted.
Basically he made the same comment that I did, but only IN FAVOR of the Denon (which is fine). He and I both made the same comment, and you called me a snake oil salesman, but reserved criticism to him since he PRAISED the Denon (which is fine) and commented on his disdain for Yamaha (which is fine). He was just making the point that it might appear a bit hypocritical on your part. But again, my intention was not to offend you or any Denon owners, just a comment from some guy on the internet.

post #58 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
There is no difference in sound quality.
I generally agree, but, they do offer different DSP options, so you may prefer one model's particular DSP over another.
gworrel and mdbrown like this.
post #59 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Could you link to the studies that show Yamaha as more reliable? I am a bit skeptical, especially since these manufacturers redesign their receivers every year. Any study would be very limited beyond the specific years or models in the study.

I sell computers and I regularly run into customers who believe one brand is better or worse than another in reliability, often based on a sample size of one from 10 years ago.
Maybe I should not have made such a definitive statement, I do not have links to any such studies, I was simply going off what I've read here over the years and they are rated #1 in reliability but I can't find a link where it says that right now.
lowend15 likes this.
post #60 of 126 Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Maybe I should not have made such a definitive statement, I do not have links to any such studies, I was simply going off what I've read here over the years and they are rated #1 in reliability but I can't find a link where it says that right now.
Another anecdotal evidence, I own an RX-V2200, 2400, 3900, in continuous service since I bought them , with zero malfunctions.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page