RX-V775 worth buying today? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
RX-V775 worth buying today?

So I've been thinking of doing a features upgrade for a while for a now. I have two home theater setups in my home but I mostly use one that is in a bedroom. My "main" system doesn't get the usage it deserves because it's in an open game room upstairs and people are always watching tv downstairs and takes away from the experience.

I've had this system for over 10 years now, consisting of a denon 3803, b&w 805, htm2, and 601's for surround with an svs 20-39 pc+ sub. To me, it sounds good as it is but I would like the convinience of hdmi. I'm not too concerned with and 4k type content since I don't plan on upgrading the tv any time soon. I don't even really care about 7.1 or atmos or anything like that. I still want the best sound that I can get without having to buy new speakers. I watch blu-rays every once in a while and I would like to be able to stream my blu-ray content to my htpc.

Frys has what looks like a refurb RX-775 for $288+tax. Seems it covers most of the bases that I need. It even has pre-outs, but I don't have an amp at the moment. It offers a little less power than my 3803, but looks like it does what I need while not spending a lot of money. I also have pioneer elite vsx-44 thats in the closet, but even less power. I'm not sure if these will do the N805's justice.

A while back I bought a denon X3200 for the bedroom system that I use more often and that replaced the vsx-44. I've thought about swapping that over to the other system, but I just don't use it as much and figured i'd get more use of it in the bedroom. I have klipsch RF-82II in there.

I'm kind of just weighing suggestions or maybe wait until frys has the X3200 on sale again or even the X2200. Those are still $200-300 more than what the rx-v775 cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Certainly not a bad buy at 288. Not sure if you can get something newer for a similar price, but AVRs didn't change much from that generation until they added Atmos and 4K, which you don't need. I have a receiver that's a year older than that one, and I won't upgrade until it dies or I get a 4K OLED TV

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: SVS SB12-NSD
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't see anything newer for the same price. Most of the stuff that I can find is about $200 more or so. I'm actually considering something else. I'm thinking of swapping speakers. Move the B&W stuff to the bedroom and run them off the x3200 and then the klipsch stuff to the large room and run off the vsx-44.

The bedroom is about 12x14 and currently looks like this.

The other room is 17x21 with it being open where I'm standing to take the picture. I'm skeptical that the pioneer is powerful enough to drive any of the speakers in a room that large. But the klipsch are rather efficient, maybe they're easier to drive than the smaller Nautilus 805?

Like I mentioned in the first post. I mainly watch movies in the bedroom. I have a small couch in front of the tv area and its nice and quiet. The other room is large and sounds great, but I get outside noise from down stairs. I'm thinking I'd rather have the B&W speakers where I'd use them most. I really only watch movies and tv shows, I don't even listen to music on these any more. The TV in the bedroom is only 48" and lacking in picture quality. Money saved on could go towards that. Does this seem like a better idea?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 126
288 for preamp outs? not bad.

if i didnt already have a preamp, i would buy one of those JUST for the preouts so i could use a room correction setup like dirac live or the new minidsp 2x4hd.

for me nothing has made the speakers disappear more than Digital room correction and you cant do that at a high level without preamp outs.

64 base level speakers $10k
28 height speakers $10k,
14 subwoofers $10k
90% of the movie sound coming from the center channel - priceless.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I run a 775 at my girls place, in an 8.2 config, all small bookshelf speakers , 2 10" subs spread out, it's that "WAF" aesthetic blah blah blah, a very hard room, living room so just getting it all in there as unobtrusively as possible was pushing the limit ..

but YPAO does well for most TV shows, TV movies, and I have a HTPC for streaming and music,

so for not going overboard for the casual but "got game" presence, it's a real value performer.

as you may tell from my signature, my own home set up is a different beast . . .

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: F4Q4LP , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX
DUAL LOWARHORNS , SUBMAXIMUS, Custom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Then it's a no brainer...get that 775.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Then it's a no brainer...get that 775.
Is that because of the pre-outs or just because I haven't found anything else? What about the idea of using the vsx-44 and moving speakers around? New toys are always fun but now I'm thinking, that can go towards a new tv if I can make that vsx-44 work out.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Because that's a great receiver for that price. I paid more than that for my 6 series that lacks pre outs. Anything will power the Klipsch speakers because their sensitivity is high. You can try powering the B&Ws with your other receiver to see how that works. If it works well then upgrade the tv.

post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

But honestly at that price, just pull the trigger. I forgot you didn't have HDMI. That alone will be worth it...I could never watch something not in HD anymore. Plus the receiver is only $280...you'll be spending $2-3k on a tv I assume. Not like it's a 1 or the other proposition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page