Please help me choose a black box - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2016, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Please help me choose a black box

Hey guys and gals !!

I currently have an active speaker system that is staying for the foreseeable future , and a new vizio p-65 .
I am currently looking for a new processor/pre to basically operate the surround speakers from the tv .
I've looked at a few that will fit in a 6" shelf under the tv and have come up with the Cambridge azur 551 (operating in pre-amp mode) and the outlaw 965 , both are around 500 new .
I'm not really too sure what I'm looking at , and all I know is I need a trigger out and Rca or balanced to connect the speakers .

It seems I could get a better Denon/onkyo/marantz reciever for around 1000 new that will work as a pre , but theyre all around 8" tall these days .
i could put a cable hole through the wall and find room to hide it in a kitchen cabinet directly behind the tv
so theyre not ruled out .....

im currently researching adding atmos , but i doubt ill be allowed to add more speakers in the room .
however it seems the better items available have this feature anyway , as well as arc which i guess would be preferable to take advantage of the output from the vizio and would help with a "kitchen" installation .

any ideas what i should go with ?

Last edited by Ian c2; 04-14-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
yamahe cx-5000 for atmos or cx-5000 without atmos.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9454 Post(s)
Liked: 4374
You're likely going to want to find a new location for the pre/pro as the video card is the component that puts out the most heat requiring you to have at least 3-4" clearance above and on the sides of the unit as well as an open front and back.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The outlaw can go in the shelf under the tv with 3" on top and plenty at the sides , the Cambridge is the only other small one I found and I think that's around an inch taller .

If I end up going for a "full size" box , the kitchen cupboard is around 2' tall so no problems there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement