Official Pioneer 2016 VSX-831/VSX-1131 discussions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 205 Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rhialto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Official Pioneer 2016 VSX-831/VSX-1131 discussions

Was looking for a discussion thread, found nothing! They are now listed on Pioneer website.

VSX-831 and VSX-1131.

Looks like they have dropped the -K.
Rhialto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 205 Old 04-21-2016, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I posted about my quick observations about vsx lx301 which is elite version of 1131, and onkyos influence is really all over. This years models use akm 32bit DACs just like last years onkyo 646 and up did. Also, dts x is on board, which was omitted from vsx90 and 1130k. I think onkyos take over so far has been a positive things for pioneer. Everyone cried about onkyos take over and predicted doom and gloom for pioneer from here on out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nohcho is offline  
post #3 of 205 Old 04-22-2016, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I agree that the merger has been positive overall. Especially if you like the class d amps.
Onkyo will now have pioneer amps in their upper models too.
kikkenit2 is offline  
 
post #4 of 205 Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The question is, if they're beginning to share the same streaming services, multi-room solution, amplification tech and (rumour has it) the same room EQ (MCAAC)...
What will demark a difference beside the GUI and front panel design?
Denon and Marantz have struggled at times, will the lack of 'flavour' disappear?
dunnersfella is offline  
post #5 of 205 Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Member
 
AngelArs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Have been eagerly waiting for the release of the Pioneer VSX-1131.

I will order one as soon as I digest the owners manual.

From every thing that I've seen so far it's an incredible value.
AngelArs is offline  
post #6 of 205 Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,356
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
the question will be if they fixed the 'weirdness' that came with the 1130...


I'd recommend before buying, see how it handles switching formats. with the 1130, it could be set up so that switching between stereo and 5.1/7.1 worked ok, but if you also wanted atmos, there was no setting that handled all three 'well'. even just going from 5.1/7.1 to atmos was a bit annoying if the 5.1/7.1 was Dolby(it would TRY to upconvert to atmos, but fail miserably, omitting the back channels completely). I worry that the addition of DTS:X may make this worse, not better, but hopefully not. that really is the only 'complaint' I have with my 1130. I have to push 3 buttons if I want to watch an atmos movie.


I've been a fan of pioneer for years, I think they deliver the best bang for the buck for anybody not living in a sound isolated booth with golden ears. just the right amount of quality and features without going overboard.


but the 1130 felt rushed to me. many quirks that I never noticed with my older pioneer.


there was also reports of issues with the black level on hdmi inputs. I never experienced this, but the complaints seemed too common to write off as user confusion.


still wish they'd come up with a non-elite version of the 9ch receivers. I really don't see the point in atmos with 5.1.2, it's just not quite there. reminds me of '4ch surround sound'. you knew what it was trying to do, but it was so obvious that something was missing. or at the very least the extra pre-outs so you can add the additional channels

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #7 of 205 Old 07-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it correct that the 1131 can switch between 7.2 and 5.2.2 depending on the signal sent from the source? Is there anything I'd have to do manually, or will it switch appropriately?

Also, can you run the zone 2 preout to an external amp to theoretically run 7.2.2, or is it strictly limited to zone 2?

I'm looking forward to getting this next week, and I'm preplanning my possibke next purchases!
AGKoolAid is offline  
post #8 of 205 Old 07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGKoolAid View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it correct that the 1131 can switch between 7.2 and 5.2.2 depending on the signal sent from the source? Is there anything I'd have to do manually, or will it switch appropriately?

Also, can you run the zone 2 preout to an external amp to theoretically run 7.2.2, or is it strictly limited to zone 2?

I'm looking forward to getting this next week, and I'm preplanning my possibke next purchases!
Got the receiver last night. So fsr so good. To answer myself here:

1. The receiver has enough posts on it to set up as 7.2.2. Obviously, you can only use 7 channels at a time, but there is a quick change menu button on the remote that brings up a small menu overlayed onto the screen. There is an option there to switch the speakers between height and surround back. In mcacc, you can specify if the height channels are top front, top middle, etc.

2. The zone 2 "preout" is actually just a line out, so no using an external amp to run the additional channels. I misread the inputs originally, my bad.

Overall, i like it so far. Haven't taken it for a proper spin yet, since the baby is acting up today. Already noticing a huge improvement from my old Sony STR DE698.
shoman94 likes this.
AGKoolAid is offline  
post #9 of 205 Old 07-08-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Just purchased this to replace my Elite vsx01txh. Looking forward to more posts from owners.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.16.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 07-11-2016 at 09:05 AM.
shoman94 is offline  
post #10 of 205 Old 07-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Newbie
 
trewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to get "Zone 2" speakers to work?!?

I've had this unit for 4 days now, and have YET to get it to send any output to the speakers attached to the last 4 terminals.

The God-awful "zone 2" operations were apparently "really shiny & neat-o" to the engineering team who dreamed them up, but . . . .

I can get line out (aka pre-out zone 2) to work consistently whether or not I select PreAmp or powered-by-main amp.

Regardless of options selected, the "B speakers" output I want to play outside around the pool consistently come out the REAR 7.1 speakers inside my primary theater room.

Please help, as I face the really ugly option of having to return this (otherwise really fine) system, in order to maintain domestic tranquility . . .
trewitt is offline  
post #11 of 205 Old 07-17-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewitt View Post
I've had this unit for 4 days now, and have YET to get it to send any output to the speakers attached to the last 4 terminals.

The God-awful "zone 2" operations were apparently "really shiny & neat-o" to the engineering team who dreamed them up, but . . . .

I can get line out (aka pre-out zone 2) to work consistently whether or not I select PreAmp or powered-by-main amp.

Regardless of options selected, the "B speakers" output I want to play outside around the pool consistently come out the REAR 7.1 speakers inside my primary theater room.

Please help, as I face the really ugly option of having to return this (otherwise really fine) system, in order to maintain domestic tranquility . . .
Did you do the setup in which you tell it that you are using the amp to power zone 2? I only use the pre outs for zone 2 and i haven't setup my atmos speakers yet.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.16.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #12 of 205 Old 07-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Newbie
 
trewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup options & history

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Did you do the setup in which you tell it that you are using the amp to power zone 2? I only use the pre outs for zone 2 and i haven't setup my atmos speakers yet.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
I have swapped between "powered by amp" and "pre-amp out to external amp" more times than I can count, with no change. The line out connecting to the powered speakers in my office always works, regardless of option selected. This is consistent with the "zone 2" output coming only from the rear 7.1 speakers rather than the real (last 2 pairs of speaker posts) connected to the outside speakers, per the guide, as if the OSD settings are having no real effect on the actual system operations.
trewitt is offline  
post #13 of 205 Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewitt View Post
I have swapped between "powered by amp" and "pre-amp out to external amp" more times than I can count, with no change. The line out connecting to the powered speakers in my office always works, regardless of option selected. This is consistent with the "zone 2" output coming only from the rear 7.1 speakers rather than the real (last 2 pairs of speaker posts) connected to the outside speakers, per the guide, as if the OSD settings are having no real effect on the actual system operations.
What are you using to play music from? You have it connected to the Surround Back posts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.16.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #14 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 AM
Newbie
 
trewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I FINALLY figured this out.

The rocket scientists who invented "Zone 2" and visually placed the optional "B Speakers" as additional front speakers have apparently never used "B Speakers" as they have been designed and used for the past 40 years across all brands, IE, in ANOTHER ROOM.

This also explains the complete absence of any control either on the unit or the remote for switching between A, B or both pairs of speakers.

As I DO use the rear speakers in my 7.1 theater, this pair CANNOT be used for "Zone 2" ( which would reduce the main room to 5.1).

It wasn't until I re-examined the "Zone 2" label BELOW the speaker post sketch on page 27 that I realized the difference between "Zone 2" and "B speakers"; Note that there are NO descriptions on this page for the last 4 pairs of speaker posts.

Once I finally enabled the "additional front B speakers" in the on-screen GUI, the speakers outside on the patio finally play. Fortunately, I already had a separate external switch for this circuit (Outside / Off / Bedroom) as well as an external volume control to drop the volume to the front mains when I increase the volume to power the long runs to the outdoor speakers.
trewitt is offline  
post #15 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
automaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking to replace my broken 1120K, considering the 1131. A couple of quick questions:
1) Can anyone comment on the difference between the 1131 and the Pioneer VSXLX101? MSRP on the latter is $100 cheaper, in spite of it being part of the "Elite" line.
2) Does Pioneer have on-screen display for the volume now? My 1120 doesn't, and it's probably my biggest complaint.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd love suggestions for a receiver in the $400-$600 range--the 1131 and the LX101 are both options, but the reviews on the LX101 indicate that the sound isn't the best...
automaton is offline  
post #16 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post
I'm looking to replace my broken 1120K, considering the 1131. A couple of quick questions:
1) Can anyone comment on the difference between the 1131 and the Pioneer VSXLX101? MSRP on the latter is $100 cheaper, in spite of it being part of the "Elite" line.
2) Does Pioneer have on-screen display for the volume now? My 1120 doesn't, and it's probably my biggest complaint.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd love suggestions for a receiver in the $400-$600 range--the 1131 and the LX101 are both options, but the reviews on the LX101 indicate that the sound isn't the best...
The LX101 has less power and only one HDMI out. Yes the 1131 has an on-screen display.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.16.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #17 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
automaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
The LX101 has less power and only one HDMI out. Yes the 1131 has an on-screen display.
Thanks. Other than power, any reason to expect a difference in sound between the two units? Pioneer confuses me with its low-end Elites having less features than the high-end of the VSX line.
automaton is offline  
post #18 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post
Thanks. Other than power, any reason to expect a difference in sound between the two units? Pioneer confuses me with its low-end Elites having less features than the high-end of the VSX line.
Not sure.... I'd have to side by side the specs but you can easily do that also.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.16.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #19 of 205 Old 07-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
automaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Not sure.... I'd have to side by side the specs but you can easily do that also.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yeah there's nothing to indicate the sound would be any different, just a little put off by the comments about the Elite's poor sound in the reviews. I don't need a ton of power for my setup (running in a fairly small space), so am more concerned with clarity.
automaton is offline  
post #20 of 205 Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Got this unit set up about a week ago and did the microphone calibration. All sounds great.

Question is how to I "upscale" normal Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio to the faux Dolby Atmos? I thought it would be able to process any track to engage the height speakers even if it is not a true Atmos track.
Billbofet is offline  
post #21 of 205 Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
evoll88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
With dolby you have to go through your options for diff. surround sounds intill you find dolby surround and that will upmix and activate your atmos speakers. With dts you again scroll through your surround sounds intill you see dts -x neural and that will upmix your atmos speakers. I am looking at this unit for down stairs room since I have a atmos avr for upstairs but with this avr can you run 5.2.4 with a external amp? How does this avr sound,does it sound clean or muddy or should I say is the dialogue clean sounding with decent speakers?
evoll88 is offline  
post #22 of 205 Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billbofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
With dolby you have to go through your options for diff. surround sounds intill you find dolby surround and that will upmix and activate your atmos speakers. With dts you again scroll through your surround sounds intill you see dts -x neural and that will upmix your atmos speakers. I am looking at this unit for down stairs room since I have a atmos avr for upstairs but with this avr can you run 5.2.4 with a external amp? How does this avr sound,does it sound clean or muddy or should I say is the dialogue clean sounding with decent speakers?
I am coming from a Sony DTS Master and Dolby True HD receiver. I am no audiophile, but I have decent speakers. The Pioneer sounds FANTASTIC. Very clean and punchy bass. The native Atmos mixes are a true step up from anything I have experienced in my home theater.
Billbofet is offline  
post #23 of 205 Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
evoll88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Good to hear it sounds good and clean since I am real close to ordering this but just need to know if I can run another set of atmos speakers with a external amp??
evoll88 is offline  
post #24 of 205 Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 2,771
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Hi,

i am at the point of buying this VSX 1131 coming from a Stereo set, but i am used to receivers from Onkyo and Marantz.

Please 4 questions about this Pioneer:

1)
when i press the NET button, will the receiver load the last used Internet Radio Station i used ?

2)
Can it do 2.1.2 (Stereo Dolby Atmos) as this will be my current setup for the time....

3)
It has "Reflex Optimizer", is this realy any better then receivers without ?

4)
I will be using 2 font Dolby Enabled speakers, will the brand be important to the Reflex Optimizer, or is it ok as long as it is a certified Dolby Enabled speaker ?


Thanks :-)
CBdicX is offline  
post #25 of 205 Old 10-02-2016, 04:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
Good to hear it sounds good and clean since I am real close to ordering this but just need to know if I can run another set of atmos speakers with a external amp??
If you want to do that, you could tap what's coming out of the Height speaker posts. If you are running in 7.1.2 mode, I'm not sure what will be coming off the zone two pre-outs, but software wise, it's still 7.1.2 so the decoder is going to be sending out surround and rear signals and one set of Dolby or DTS signals that you define in the configuration as dolby speakers or Height speakers, and their location.

I believe you can enable zone 2 on the pre-outs while in 7.1.2 mode, and then select a source for zone 2, but it will be stereo front channels out, not atmos signals.

If you want 4 channels of atmos, you need to go to a system that has a 7.1.4 decoder. Look at the 9.1 or higher systems.

I'm running the vsx-1131 in 5.1.2 mode, using the powered zone 2 speakers for whole house sound, and it switches modes automatically to 5.1.0 when I turn on zone 2.

Currently Listening to Ascend CMT-340SE (L/R/C) with CMB-170SE's and R-PW10 sub. Small Kenwood surrounds used for Atmos Fronts
Driven by Pioneer VSX-1131. Wireless remote to rears. Roku and Samsung BD smart player.
ATMOS and DTS-X enabled !!
Previously driven by Onkyo R593
Formerly KEF FiveTwo Mdl 7, Kenwood Sub, Kenwood receiver.
MikeBY is offline  
post #26 of 205 Old 10-02-2016, 05:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Hi,

i am at the point of buying this VSX 1131 coming from a Stereo set, but i am used to receivers from Onkyo and Marantz.

Please 4 questions about this Pioneer:

1)
when i press the NET button, will the receiver load the last used Internet Radio Station i used ?

2)
Can it do 2.1.2 (Stereo Dolby Atmos) as this will be my current setup for the time....

3)
It has "Reflex Optimizer", is this realy any better then receivers without ?

4)
I will be using 2 font Dolby Enabled speakers, will the brand be important to the Reflex Optimizer, or is it ok as long as it is a certified Dolby Enabled speaker ?


Thanks :-)
1) sometimes - I just upgraded firmware, and when I go back to 'Net' it remembers TunedIt channel and comes back right where it was. Pandora, hasn't been that successful. YMMV.

2) Yes you can configure 2.1.2 no problem

3) It's a phase match for the Dolby Atmos speakers that do the ceiling bounce. It seems to help the clarity when I'm listening in upmix mode. I'm not sure what it would do if you are using High or ceiling speakers.

4) I don't think the brand will matter, nor if it's a certified Dolby enabled speaker. I'm running Ascend's and I've stacked a small surround speaker on top firing up and tilted about 10 degrees forward. It's an effects channel. I need to give them a workout on an Atmos Blue-ray disk, but the upmix results are sounding great.

Currently Listening to Ascend CMT-340SE (L/R/C) with CMB-170SE's and R-PW10 sub. Small Kenwood surrounds used for Atmos Fronts
Driven by Pioneer VSX-1131. Wireless remote to rears. Roku and Samsung BD smart player.
ATMOS and DTS-X enabled !!
Previously driven by Onkyo R593
Formerly KEF FiveTwo Mdl 7, Kenwood Sub, Kenwood receiver.
MikeBY is offline  
post #27 of 205 Old 10-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Software Update for DTS-X released for VSX-1131

Pioneer released another software update for the VSX-1131. It's available to D/l
This is the update for DTS-X !! Deezer and Tidal also. No word yet on the Google Cast.

I ran the update, then re-ran MCACC as prompted. It's working GREAT.
Using the DTS upmix for music, and like it better than the upmix for Dolby Surround.

Very effective with Percussion -- listen to some Latin Salsa.. way cool..

Currently Listening to Ascend CMT-340SE (L/R/C) with CMB-170SE's and R-PW10 sub. Small Kenwood surrounds used for Atmos Fronts
Driven by Pioneer VSX-1131. Wireless remote to rears. Roku and Samsung BD smart player.
ATMOS and DTS-X enabled !!
Previously driven by Onkyo R593
Formerly KEF FiveTwo Mdl 7, Kenwood Sub, Kenwood receiver.

Last edited by MikeBY; 10-02-2016 at 05:18 AM. Reason: add title
MikeBY is offline  
post #28 of 205 Old 10-02-2016, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
evoll88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBY View Post
If you want to do that, you could tap what's coming out of the Height speaker posts. If you are running in 7.1.2 mode, I'm not sure what will be coming off the zone two pre-outs, but software wise, it's still 7.1.2 so the decoder is going to be sending out surround and rear signals and one set of Dolby or DTS signals that you define in the configuration as dolby speakers or Height speakers, and their location.

I believe you can enable zone 2 on the pre-outs while in 7.1.2 mode, and then select a source for zone 2, but it will be stereo front channels out, not atmos signals.

If you want 4 channels of atmos, you need to go to a system that has a 7.1.4 decoder. Look at the 9.1 or higher systems.

I'm running the vsx-1131 in 5.1.2 mode, using the powered zone 2 speakers for whole house sound, and it switches modes automatically to 5.1.0 when I turn on zone 2.
I did order one for the living room and we decided to go just with a simple 5.1 setup. I bought a denon x6200w for the movie room to set up with 4 atmos speakers. Thanks you for the reply and help.
evoll88 is offline  
post #29 of 205 Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 2,771
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBY View Post
1) sometimes - I just upgraded firmware, and when I go back to 'Net' it remembers TunedIt channel and comes back right where it was. Pandora, hasn't been that successful. YMMV.

2) Yes you can configure 2.1.2 no problem

3) It's a phase match for the Dolby Atmos speakers that do the ceiling bounce. It seems to help the clarity when I'm listening in upmix mode. I'm not sure what it would do if you are using High or ceiling speakers.

4) I don't think the brand will matter, nor if it's a certified Dolby enabled speaker. I'm running Ascend's and I've stacked a small surround speaker on top firing up and tilted about 10 degrees forward. It's an effects channel. I need to give them a workout on an Atmos Blue-ray disk, but the upmix results are sounding great.

Thanks for your help :-)
I ordered the VSX but its going back.
Tried Tunein and even after a software update it wil not "remember" the last used radio station, it will go back to NET and stay there until i make it go to favorites or a radio station.
A very big no go for me as i do listen for 95% of the time to Internet Radio, when i am not watching TV.


My current Marantz NR1606 will not have this (for me) problem, it will always returns to the last used station whatever i do with the receiver.
CBdicX is offline  
post #30 of 205 Old 10-03-2016, 02:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBY View Post
Pioneer released another software update for the VSX-1131. It's available to D/l
This is the update for DTS-X !! Deezer and Tidal also. No word yet on the Google Cast.

I ran the update, then re-ran MCACC as prompted. It's working GREAT.
Using the DTS upmix for music, and like it better than the upmix for Dolby Surround.

Very effective with Percussion -- listen to some Latin Salsa.. way cool..
I was told that the receiver will be updated to Google Cast in October.
moggec is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off