Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2016, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cambridge Audio CXR 200

Hi,

I have a 7.1 set-up consisting of Monitor Audio Gold 300, C350, Gold FX (x2) and Gold W15. I am currently after a new amp. My current amp is a CA 640R connected to 3 power amps (Denon POA s10) to power up the fronts speakers.

I am fully aware of the new codecs (Atmos, DTS X etc) in fact I was considering either the Marantz SR 7010 or Yamaha 3050. I was also considering the Marantz 7702 MKII or the Yamaha CXA 5100, but need to wait if I will go for the latter.

I am writing this thread for some assistance. A friend of mine has a practically brand new Cambridge Audio CXR 200, (only 2 months old) that he needs to sell due to unforeseen circumstances. He offered to sell it to me for 1200 Euros at the moment and I am quite tempted. I know that I will be sacrificing a lot of specs compared to the AVRs I was considering which some of them cost twice the price but on the other hand it is a very good sounding amp, (very authoritative and puts you at the centre). I also will not be using one of my power amps since it has only 2 pre outs. Your help will be much appreciated in this matter. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-08-2016, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions re what's the best investment whether a high end 7.1 like the CA CXR 200 or a similar priced receiver with all the bells and whistles. In reality a 7.1.4 Atmos DTS X receiver will sound much better than a 7.1 setup?

Thanks
post #3 of 5 Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongal View Post
Any suggestions re what's the best investment whether a high end 7.1 like the CA CXR 200 or a similar priced receiver with all the bells and whistles. In reality a 7.1.4 Atmos DTS X receiver will sound much better than a 7.1 setup?

Thanks
I can't comment on the CXR 200. I have a Cambridge Audi Azur 551r that replaced a Integra DTR 6.8. I love it. It is missing the room correction of the Integra but I will tell you that while watching movies the Cambridge sounds more "alive" to my ears. During 2 ch music rather I am listening to a cd, digital source or vinyl it does not sound like a AVR. This was my first Cambridge product and it is great. I am now looking to purchase a 2 ch amp / stereo receiver for my Vandersteen and it will be a Cambridge. I'd say see if your friend will let you install the CXR 200 into your system to see if you like it.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, I feel a bit awkward to ask him and lend me the amp. What I wanted to know is whether anyone has auditioned this kind of amp vs an Atmos/ DTS X amp since I cannot audition the latter either. At the end is the sound quality that matters to me.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since you are coming from an Azur 640R, you pretty much are familiar with CA's no nonsense philosophy. You either believe in it or not. Personally, things like Atmos and automatic room correction have zero interest for me so I am a fan of the approach. I would rather resources be spent on other things. But you need to determine what is important for your environment. Are you willing to invest in the additional equipment and wiring to complete an Atmos setup that won't do much for your older sources? Do you use analog inputs at all?

The CXR200 is a significant refresh of the 640R class AVR and since the older design is something like a decade old now I would jump at that bargain price for an essentially new piece. I have the smaller CXR120 sibling. There was also a thread here a while back on the CXR200. Let me check...

Here it is: Cambridge CXR200 (who has one?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page