Smyth Realiser A16 - 3D headphone processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Smyth Realiser A16 - 3D headphone processor

Similar to Realiser A8 in basic idea, but now supports up to 16-channels (horizontal and vertical), and two independent users with two head-trackers.

Built-in internal audio bitstream decoding: Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D, DTS-X and all legacy Dolby and DTS formats.

Audio source inputs / outputs:
  1. USB 2.0 : 16ch in / 2ch out
  2. HDMI 2.0 : 8ch PCM i/o + bitstream in
  3. Analogue : 16ch in + 16ch out
  4. Optical : 2ch PCM i/o + bitstream in

Munich 2016 High-end Show press release.

The versatile Illusonic N:M up-mixer allows all source
material from 2.0 stereo up to 7.1 discrete surround to be
upmixed and rendered to any 16-ch immersive or 3D
loudspeaker format.

The headphone processor is configured via a web
browser, and can then be controlled either from the front
panel, or with an IR remote or from a web browser.

Datasheet and specs.

Smyth web site promo.

KickStarter crowdfunding campaign, for discount from the expected $1500 price.

Expected availability Q1 2017.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-07-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-08-2016, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Hi,
I was at the High End in Munich, and I got a demo for this device.
Simply put, it was the most amazing experience! You really have the impression that the sound is coming from speakers in the room and not at all from the headphones!

The demo setup was such that you could take off the headphones anytime and if you tilted the hadphones forward it would switch to the actual speakers. I checked several times that what I was hearing was really coming from the headphones!
I did not expect this to work as perfectly as it did!

I am thoroughly impressed by this and will definitely be backing the Kickstarter campaign once it goes live! I do hope they get enough backers to produce this!

Best regards
Oliver
post #3 of 45 Old 05-08-2016, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Welcome to the show.

I am "patient zero" for the Smyth Realiser. I discovered the concept of "SVS, i.e. Smyth Virtual Surround" back in 2004 in an issue of Widescreen Review. At that time Stephen Smyth (formerly of DTS) was still developing the original 8-channel product. I contacted them to inquire as to the availability of the product, but it was nowhere near ready to be produced.

I remained in contact with them for the next five years, insisting that they notify me whenever it became available for purchase, as I wanted to be the first to buy one. Eventually the product finally became available for sale in April 2009. Their lab in Camarillo CA was relatively near (i.e. 60 miles) to where I live in LA, and they invited me to drive up to pick up my "serial #0001 unit". I went, they took pictures and we all smiled, and I came home with that very first Realiser A8. At that time it was an all-analog input/output, with built-in A-to-D and D-to-A converters, and I still use that #0001 Realiser at my second home HDTV listening location. I use it with a Stax Omega-1 electrostatic headphones and Stax SRM-T1S tube amp, running through a Yamaha RX-V873 AVR.

In 2012 they came out with a next version, with HDMI input/output, to accept decoded discrete multi-channel LPCM source in digital form already. That eliminated the need for the A-to-D process on the input side, thus resulting in a "cleaner" SVS result. In 2013 I bought a second Realiser A8, this time of the HDMI variety. This went along with my newly purchased Stax SR-009 electrostatic headphones and Stax SRM-007tII tub amp. Optical output (still digital, thus bypassing the D-to-A converter in the Realiser's output stage) from the A8 went to my newly acquired external Audio-GD NFB9 DAC, which then fed analog via XLR to the Stax amp. The resulting audio quality and "SVS effect" was absolutely stunning.

What you experienced in Munich for the first time, I've been experiencing "in my bedroom" since 2009 with the Realiser A8. I don't have my own loudspeaker sound system, but I do have these "magic headphones" based on the Realiser. I was lucky enough to be able to get a PRIR calibration performed at AIX Studio's here in LA (where they have a just wondrous mixing room with glorious sounding B&W speakers set in 5.1, 7.1 and THX arrangement). So when I listen through my Realiser and headphones on my bed while watching HDTV on my Panny 65VT50, I'm actually listening to the sound of the AIX mixing room. It is absolutely glorious!

Anyway, the links I provided in my first post here get you to the Smyth-Research site, where you can read all about the Realiser idea. This new A16 is a new step up, but the idea has been around since 2004 and available for purchase since 2009.

There is an "owner's thread" for the Realiser A8 over on the Head-Fi Forum, which I started back in April 2009 when the Realiser finally became available for purchase and I finally got my #0001 unit. Not surprisingly there are now 2861 posts in that 7-year old thread (191 pages).

For your info, if you're interested I'm attaching the two articles in WSR which have appeared. One is the original 15-page interview with Stephen Smyth back in Sept 2004. The second is an actual "movie review" Gary Reber did in October 2009, using headphones and his Realiser to hear the sound, rather than listening through actual loudspeakers. Much of this second article is his discussion of the now-available Realiser A9.

So, this new A16... a step up technologically. Seems like the target customer is the large home user world, rather than the industry professional who was the primary target of the A8.

Again, welcome to the world of SVS. You're now a believer.

Remember that its purpose is NOT to provide a one-size-fits-all virtual surround illusion. Its purpose is to DUPLICATE THE SOUND OF ANY LISTENING ENVIRONMENT (good or bad) when you listen to to any new content played back through headphones and the PRIR produced from the "calibration" taken at that listening environment. If you're lucky enough to be able to get a PRIR created in some million dollar home theater that sounds fantastic, well that PRIR will now allow you to listen to anything via the Realiser and your headphones and truly believe you are actually once again sitting in that same listening environment and actually hearing those loudspeakers play this new sound source.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WSR_2004-Sep_88_SVS_Smyth.pdf (889.8 KB, 355 views)
File Type: pdf WSR_2009-Oct_143_SVS_Smyth.pdf (298.9 KB, 366 views)
Stevez176 likes this.

post #4 of 45 Old 05-08-2016, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just for reference, there is a newly created thread on the A16 over at Head-Fi Forum. I suspect that's where most of the real discussion will be taking place, starting next year when it becomes available for purchase.

There may also be previews and early articles as we get closer.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hi,

My own quick impressions on the Smyth Realiser A16 after the Salon de l'Image et du Son in Paris (in French) :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/p...tml#p179020804

and the reproduction environment of this experience :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/p...tml#p179020885

Hugo
post #6 of 45 Old 11-30-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi,

For those interested by the technical details and more general questions concerning the Smyth Realiser A16, HCFR has recorded a long and very interesting podcast with Stephen Smyth, see here :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/a...75654-135.html

It was a real pleasure chatting with Stephen...

Hugo
Stevez176 likes this.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It's a shame very few people have heard a proper Smyth system and just write it off as a pseudo headphone surround tech.

I guess not many know Smyth is the S in DTS and he's probably forgotten more about sound tech than some of us ever learn.

Ps there is a special preorder price for the unit. You pay about 50% before the end of the year and the balance just before it ships.
Stevez176 likes this.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ended up preordering it
post #9 of 45 Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
It's a shame very few people have heard a proper Smyth system and just write it off as a pseudo headphone surround tech.
To properly appreciate what this whole technology can do, you have to complete several boxes on a checklist:

(1) have a terrific headphone/amp system, because the better this part is the better will any reproduction be as heard through your ears. I cannot vouch for anything but Stax electrostatic "open" systems, as I've only had Stax ever since I got into the world of headphones back in 1995. Never tried the Realiser with "closed" or dynamic headphones, and quite frankly I have no interest in doing so. I'm a Stax believer, especially with the Realiser.

So my "system #1" vintage 1995 is an Omega-1 paired with an SRM-T1S tube amp. I still use it today, along with my "serial #0001" Smyth analog A8 Realiser (no HDMI input, but 7.1 analog channel input as the only source). My "system #2" is vintage 2013, and is an SR-009 paired with an SRM-007tii tube amp. I use this setup with a second HDMI-enabled A8, and it is astounding.

As measured to digitally describe how your ears and brain hear sound through this headphone/amp equipment, this will be your HPEQ for all of your Realiser presets whenever you listen to anything through this equipment, to go along with any PRIR's you collect. The combination effect is to "perfectly duplicate" the sound of that room when you play any new real source material, as if you were listening to that real source material in the exact physical listening environment in which the PRIR was created.

(2) find a terrific sounding multi-speaker room fantastic listening environment or studio that you lust after to have in your own home, if only you had zillions of dollars and could build one without a problem. Then arrange (if you can) to come over or rent an hour in order to perform a PRIR measurement in order to capture the exact way that listening enviroment sounds to your own ears and brain. Every nuance will be captured by the calibrated microphones placed in your ears via the test sweep frequency tones sent by the Realiser individually to each speaker in the environment. The audible effect of floors, walls, ceiling, baffles, electronics, speakers, speaker placement around, in front of, and above you, your own seat placement, etc., every single thing that goes into what that room sounds like to your ears and brain... it will all be captured during the PRIR measurement.

And now armed with the PRIR created that digitally represents every single characteristic of how sound is heard by in your chair in that room, using that PRIR "in the reverse direction" (i.e. for PLAYBACK of any new real audio source) in conjunction with the HPEQ that matches your listening headphone/amp equipment (so that the Realiser can perform the exact adjustements, tweaks, and equalizations needed to compensate for the tonal and volume characteristics of your headphone/amp), you will experience a startling "virtual reality" through your ears.

You will actually believe you are in a specific 3-dimensional physical room with specific physical loudspeakers arrayed multi-channel around and above you that produced a specific "subjective sound" unique to that listening environment, although you are in fact hearing something through 2-channel stereo headphones. It's simply unbelievable, just how indistinguishable the result is through stereo headphones from the original multi-channel 3D-located real loudspeakers. Not just the "physical locations" of the "virtual speakers" cues as interpreted by your brain from what is being fed to it through your two ears by 2-channel stereo headphones, but even the volume, tonal, and balance subtleties of the original listening environment digitally represented by the PRIR. All of this comes through, in the listening experience.

It really has to be sampled to be appreciated.

But again, don't "be cheap" here. Invest all you can in fantastic headphone/amp equipment, because your corresponding Realiser listening experience from an amazing listening enivoronment that you were fortunate enough to be able to capture in a personal PRIR measurement of your own (not somebody else's that you "borrowed", which will NEVER EVER provide the same result as a PRIR specifically measured with your own ears) will benefit correspondingly.

As you can tell, I'm a fan. Ever since 2009 I've been enjoying listening to everything I've watched and listened to (i.e. HDTV as well as movies) via my own personal AIX Sound Room PRIR, and it truly has been like I was there.
post #10 of 45 Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the original analog only A8 as well.

I paired it with a pair of HE6 headphones. Simply stunning.

I used it to record my Thiel CS3.7s. Simply amazing.
post #11 of 45 Old 12-10-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi,

As I preordered our A16 during the initial kickstrart subscription, I also had the chance to listen to the A16 in Paris, and it really sounded great in the demonstrated Atmos context, even though we own a full 9.2.6 HT installation.

Though the fact that I arranged and conducted the above linked HCFR interview (in English) with Stephen Smyth. IMHO this represents a major, 2 hours 10 minutes long, impressively informative exchange, that anybody interested in the A16, should spare some time to listen to.

Have a nice WE,

Hugo

Last edited by Hugo S; 12-10-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
post #12 of 45 Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Listening to Ambisonic Recordings with the A16

I am wondering about B-format recordings made with an ambisonic (spherical surround sound) microphone. For those types of recordings, you would want to hear the recording directly through the HRTF without imposing any sort of room or speaker environment into the experience. I remember one of the Smyth A16 blogs stating that they were experimenting with direct ambisonic playback, but they did not give any technical details. Does anyone here know how this would work?
post #13 of 45 Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaleita View Post
I am wondering about B-format recordings made with an ambisonic (spherical surround sound) microphone. For those types of recordings, you would want to hear the recording directly through the HRTF without imposing any sort of room or speaker environment into the experience. I remember one of the Smyth A16 blogs stating that they were experimenting with direct ambisonic playback, but they did not give any technical details. Does anyone here know how this would work?
You can find the answer to your question here, made by Stephen Smyth :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/hcfr-le...stephen-smyth/

time code 1:42:08 -> 1:44:16.

Hugo
dkaleita likes this.
post #14 of 45 Old 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Liked: 0
Question Crowson tactile actuators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
(...) it truly has been like I was there.
Have you tried Crowson tactile motion actuators.

There is thread about them here at avsforum, but I am not allowed to post the link.

Since there is no thread for Crowson in head-fi I thought it would be great to hear from avsforum users.

Cheers.
post #15 of 45 Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post
Have you tried Crowson tactile motion actuators.
Not me. Never.

In a thread-related story, I actually now HAVE pre-ordered an A16.

As a result of an extensive condo remodel I've converted my loft (which had been used rather casually as my computer room / 2-speaker room / office) as a newly painted / papered / carpeted finshed loft/office. And I commissioned a big and beautiful built-in floor-to-ceiling wall unit + desk (peninsula) which is a real piece of multi-use furniture.

So to go along with this new desk I built myself a new Skylake-based computer to serve as the new WMC whole-home HTPC. Primary monitor will be a new 31" Eizo CG318-4K which is NOT HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2-compliant, so in theory I cannot feed it holy grail 4K 60fps 4:4:4 color 600MHz source via HDMI. But since I've also ordered a new Oppo UDP-203 4K-capable player which wants to deliver holy grail 4K only to HDCP 2.2-compliant displays, I've also purchased an HDFury 4K60 Integral "HDCP doctor". This device will fool the 203 into believing it's talking to an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 display, and go ahead and send out the picture. The Integral will provide 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz 18Gbps > 4K60 4:2:0 300 MHz 10.2Gbps or 4K30 4:4:4 300MHz 10.2Gbps conversions.

And for the first time I also bought a genuine 5.1 speaker system (using Aperion Intimus + Bravus speakers, to surround me) which will be powered by a new Yamaha RX-A860 4K-capable AVR. And to support a Realiser and Stax headphones I also bought a new Oppo Sonica DAC.

The Oppo 203 will feed the Yamaha via HDMI, which will feed the A16 via HDMI, which will feed the Oppo DAC via optical, which will feed the Stax headphone amp via XLR. At the moment I'm sticking with my 1995-vintage Stax Omega-1/SRM-T1S, but I have a feeling that within a few weeks I will repurpose all of my old loft audio equipment (including the #0001 all-analog Realiser A8) to a third HDTV location. In other words I will probably want to upgrade the new office setup to include a second stunning Stax SR-009/SRM-007Tii (like I already have in my main bedroom HDTV location). Stax has dropped the prices on both items significantly, so I might not be able to resist this final piece of the overall upgrade "remodel" project.

Anyway, I'm now soon to be in the A16 user community as well as being the founding member of the A8 user community. Now to seek out a location to get a new Dolby Atmos or DTS-X PRIR made.
post #16 of 45 Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Not me. Never.
Thank you.
I've found some opinions in the A8 head-fi thread.
Cheers.
post #17 of 45 Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't used my Crowson in a while

I was using it in my old HT system. I did find that I didn't lack any sub after I got a JL Audio f113 in the old HT.

The I used it with my A8 for a while when I was moving home - really amazing how well the bass transducers moved from the seat to my skin
post #18 of 45 Old 02-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
The I used it with my A8 for a while when I was moving home - really amazing how well the bass transducers moved from the seat to my skin
Subwoofer is not an option because I have an small living room. Actually, Crowson transducers may not be an option either since floor vibration could bother my neighbors.

I was going to use the A16 integrated class d amplifier to output the measurement signal test to only one speaker (that I already bought) and to drive linear actuators.

Now that it has been dropped, I don't know which external amplification has the best price/performance ratio to accomplish both tasks.

I could buy a powerful amplifier to do both or a small class d to only amplify the one channel signal test.

So I've postponed the purchase of both the amplifier and linear actuators to think about it...
post #19 of 45 Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't recall having the Crowson shake the floors. It is very directed. I was living in an apartment.
post #20 of 45 Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I've read through numerous pages of this thread, the material on their web site, and their kickstarter.

I just want to make sure that I clearly understand before moving forward.

I just moved. We intended to make the spare bedroom into our new home theater but, surprise, baby on the way! So now I am changing plans and this is becoming a very real option for me.

The thing is, I do not, and won't for some time, have a theater of my own to measure in. There are no audio stores with in 100 miles of me so I can't borrow one of theirs.

My understanding is that I can simply measure my head related transfer function and then get one of the theater files from the marketplace, right? Does it matter that my head related transfer function was not measured in a good theater? Will the experience suffer? Some of the answers here seem to indicate this but I just want to be crystal clear. I would hate to buy this and have a subpar experience because I don't have a good starting point.

I am also curious if others intend to use physical subwoofers for the tactile sensation.

Thanks!
post #21 of 45 Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
From what I can tell, it has a few default rooms already, so you don't need to buy any rooms or layouts, or measure anything.

As for measuring the head, you put on a little microphone in your ears and then put in your headphones and let it automatically measure.

They are independent of each other.
post #22 of 45 Old 03-11-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanStevens View Post
My understanding is that I can simply measure my head related transfer function and then get one of the theater files from the marketplace, right? Does it matter that my head related transfer function was not measured in a good theater? Will the experience suffer? Some of the answers here seem to indicate this but I just want to be crystal clear. I would hate to buy this and have a subpar experience because I don't have a good starting point.
The purpose of this technology is to allow playing any new content through it and have it duplicate how this new content would have sounded to you had you actually been back in that very room and in that very same chair and listening to this new content through those very same real speakers, instead of now listening to this new content through the Realiser and headphones and the Realiser's ability to use a digital PRIR/HPEQ set of filters to magically make this happen.

The optimal PRIR is measured through your own ears, and describes the room as heard by your ear/brain hearing system, which was affected by your seating location, speaker placement around you, equipment and electronics being used, floor/wall/ceiling baffles and treatments, etc.. The calibration microphones allow precise capturing of how your own unique ears and brain and skull process sound, as heard uniquely by you. The separately measured HPEQ (for a given headphone/amp) similarly describes how that particular headphone setup sounds to your ear/brain hearing system for all frequencies.

By combining the measurements digitally captured in both the PRIR and HPEQ and using them "in reverse", the Realiser can now play any new content back through those headphones and PRIR/HPEQ combination to produce the illusion for your ear/brain hearing system as if you were listening to that new content in the very original room described by the PRIR. This is the purpose and goal of the technology, to DUPLICATE the sound of a real room as it was heard by you through real speakers, but instead now using headphones, for any new content played back through the technology. That room can be good or bad or great or average, and the Realiser will DUPLICATE it. That's its job.

There really is only one right way for the digital representation of any particular unique listening environment to be properly created for your particular unique hearing system, and that is to have YOU go to THAT ROOM and sit for a "measurement" and come away with a unique PRIR file that digitally describes how that room sounded to your hearing system.

If you use somebody else's PRIR that was measured uniquely for them in some listening environment, by definition this really has to be less than optimal ideal. We all hear slightly differently, same as we get uniquely measured for prescription eyeglasses. You want to borrow somebody else's prescription eyeglasses? Can you even have an expectation that your seeing will be helped? It's probably not going to be as good as having your own custom-measured prescription eyeglasses, I think you'll agree.

Is borrowing a PRIR really the same as borrowing someone else's prescription eyeglasses? I can't really say. Does it "work"? Probably. Does it sound "great"? Probably not. And yet there is a sharing mentality in this user community suggesting it can really be done, although I myself don't participate and personally don't buy into the whole premise.

Trust me, you will never obtain maximum optimal results and enjoyment from this Realiser technology unless you are using a PRIR/HPEQ that has genuinely been custom measured for you and your own ears at a real listening environment. Same as with prescription eyeglasses. Anything else is bound to be sub-par, although "who knows how it will sound to you" and whether you will feel it to be "acceptable"?

And again, if you create a PRIR in an ordinary room with ordinary equipment that sounds pretty ordinary to you when sitting in that room, the Realiser will do nothing more than "duplicate" that same original true ordinary sound through headphones. It does not "improve" or "optimize" or magically produce the sound of a million dollar recording studio. It's job is to DUPLICATE the listening environment in which that PRIR was captured, and if it does that then it is working 100% perfectly.
post #23 of 45 Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
The purpose of this technology is to allow playing any new content through it and have it duplicate how this new content would have sounded to you had you actually been back in that very room and in that very same chair and listening to this new content through those very same real speakers, instead of now listening to this new content through the Realiser and headphones and the Realiser's ability to use a digital PRIR/HPEQ set of filters to magically make this happen.

The optimal PRIR is measured through your own ears, and describes the room as heard by your ear/brain hearing system, which was affected by your seating location, speaker placement around you, equipment and electronics being used, floor/wall/ceiling baffles and treatments, etc.. The calibration microphones allow precise capturing of how your own unique ears and brain and skull process sound, as heard uniquely by you. The separately measured HPEQ (for a given headphone/amp) similarly describes how that particular headphone setup sounds to your ear/brain hearing system for all frequencies.

By combining the measurements digitally captured in both the PRIR and HPEQ and using them "in reverse", the Realiser can now play any new content back through those headphones and PRIR/HPEQ combination to produce the illusion for your ear/brain hearing system as if you were listening to that new content in the very original room described by the PRIR. This is the purpose and goal of the technology, to DUPLICATE the sound of a real room as it was heard by you through real speakers, but instead now using headphones, for any new content played back through the technology. That room can be good or bad or great or average, and the Realiser will DUPLICATE it. That's its job.

There really is only one right way for the digital representation of any particular unique listening environment to be properly created for your particular unique hearing system, and that is to have YOU go to THAT ROOM and sit for a "measurement" and come away with a unique PRIR file that digitally describes how that room sounded to your hearing system.

If you use somebody else's PRIR that was measured uniquely for them in some listening environment, by definition this really has to be less than optimal ideal. We all hear slightly differently, same as we get uniquely measured for prescription eyeglasses. You want to borrow somebody else's prescription eyeglasses? Can you even have an expectation that your seeing will be helped? It's probably not going to be as good as having your own custom-measured prescription eyeglasses, I think you'll agree.

Is borrowing a PRIR really the same as borrowing someone else's prescription eyeglasses? I can't really say. Does it "work"? Probably. Does it sound "great"? Probably not. And yet there is a sharing mentality in this user community suggesting it can really be done, although I myself don't participate and personally don't buy into the whole premise.

Trust me, you will never obtain maximum optimal results and enjoyment from this Realiser technology unless you are using a PRIR/HPEQ that has genuinely been custom measured for you and your own ears at a real listening environment. Same as with prescription eyeglasses. Anything else is bound to be sub-par, although "who knows how it will sound to you" and whether you will feel it to be "acceptable"?

And again, if you create a PRIR in an ordinary room with ordinary equipment that sounds pretty ordinary to you when sitting in that room, the Realiser will do nothing more than "duplicate" that same original true ordinary sound through headphones. It does not "improve" or "optimize" or magically produce the sound of a million dollar recording studio. It's job is to DUPLICATE the listening environment in which that PRIR was captured, and if it does that then it is working 100% perfectly.
I wonder if you have actually listened to the Realiser 16 or are you just making claims without any true knowledge of how it really works?
post #24 of 45 Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez176 View Post
I wonder if you have actually listened to the Realiser 16 or are you just making claims without any true knowledge of how it really works?
What is your point? What did I say that you take issue with?

To answer your question, no... I have never listened to the Realiser A16. Never been given a demo, and never seen one up close and personal at a CanJam show or other presentation.

However I have been using a Realiser A8 since April 2009. In fact, I am "patient zero" for Realisers in the wild, meaning I am the absolute oldest Realiser retail customer on the planet, having purchased the absolute very first production unit ever sold. It was in fact serial #0001 , genuinely. After having seen an article about this Smyth technology in Widescreen Review back in 2004 and contacting Smyth to find out more about it (at their offices in Camarillo CA, near where I live in LA), I remained in contact with them for the next five years, pestering them periodically to find out when the item would actually be available for sale. Toward the end of the five years I finally was invited up to their office to be given a demo from a prototype, and was promised that when a retail item was eventually available I would be given the absolute first physical unit they ever sold. Serial #0001 is mine.

So, I have contact with the Smyth brothers in person since 2004, along with their technicians and engineers (several of whom formerly worked for DTS) and I know what this technology is intended to do, and what the purpose of the product is. The A16 is still not physically available for delivery although I have pre-ordered one and am on their mailing list as things progress, expecting the item to probably become available for real in the next few months. I have not yet made my choice of "style", either headphone shape or rack-mount rectangular shape (even though I will not be putting it in a rack).

But when it arrives it will go along with my original 2009 -vintage analog-only A8 and second HDMI-enabled A8 purchased in 2013. So when I do get an A16 I will then have three Realisers (at three different listening/viewing locations around my house), two A8's and now an A16. I will not be taking advantage of the built-in decoding capability of the A16, as I have three AVR's and three Oppo players and related audio/video setups, so the decoding to LPCM and delivery via HDMI from Oppo to Realiser will be more of the same with the new A16.

I have been using one single PRIR (actually two, one for 5.1 source and one for 7.1 source) in my two A8's ever since June 2009 when I had my two measurements done at AIX here in LA. They are fantastic, and I fully expect to use them in my A16 as well for listening to "conventional" 5.1/7.1 source material. If I can eventually discover an Atmos location in which to get an Atmos PRIR created, I will do that as well, although I currently don't own any discs that have that sound track available. I have acquired perhaps four other PRIR's (all measured personally through my own ears at four listening environments I have arranged for), but for me these are simply "novelty" PRIR's. Nothing sounds as perfect as my AIX PRIR's.

So, I repeat... what did I say that you either disagree with or take issue with? The intended purpose of this technology is to attempt to duplicate through stereo headphones and a PRIR/HPEQ set the precise listening experience one would have at a real multi-loudspeaker environment, if you actually had the opportunity to go back to that listening environment in which the PRIR was measured and now listen to the new source program content through those original speakers and sitting in that original chair location again. If with an A/B comparison you cannot tell the difference between the real speakers AT THAT LOCATION and listening through your headphones, then the PRIR is perfect and the Realiser has done its job.

The Realiser is not trying to "improve" in some sense anything about the sound. It is trying to DUPLICATE that original listening environment (however good or bad it was), as its stated goal, so that an A/B comparison has you saying "I can't tell the difference between listening through headphones and listening through real speakers".
thomasphoenix likes this.
post #25 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Smile

Quote:
What is your point? What did I say that you take issue with?

To answer your question, no... I have never listened to the Realiser A16. Never been given a demo, and never seen one up close and personal at a CanJam show or other presentation.

However I have been using a Realiser A8 since April 2009. In fact, I am "patient zero" for Realisers in the wild, meaning I am the absolute oldest Realiser retail customer on the planet, having purchased the absolute very first production unit ever sold. It was in fact serial #0001 , genuinely. After having seen an article about this Smyth technology in Widescreen Review back in 2004 and contacting Smyth to find out more about it (at their offices in Camarillo CA, near where I live in LA), I remained in contact with them for the next five years, pestering them periodically to find out when the item would actually be available for sale. Toward the end of the five years I finally was invited up to their office to be given a demo from a prototype, and was promised that when a retail item was eventually available I would be given the absolute first physical unit they ever sold. Serial #0001 is mine.

So, I have contact with the Smyth brothers in person since 2004, along with their technicians and engineers (several of whom formerly worked for DTS) and I know what this technology is intended to do, and what the purpose of the product is. The A16 is still not physically available for delivery although I have pre-ordered one and am on their mailing list as things progress, expecting the item to probably become available for real in the next few months. I have not yet made my choice of "style", either headphone shape or rack-mount rectangular shape (even though I will not be putting it in a rack).

But when it arrives it will go along with my original 2009 -vintage analog-only A8 and second HDMI-enabled A8 purchased in 2013. So when I do get an A16 I will then have three Realisers (at three different listening/viewing locations around my house), two A8's and now an A16. I will not be taking advantage of the built-in decoding capability of the A16, as I have three AVR's and three Oppo players and related audio/video setups, so the decoding to LPCM and delivery via HDMI from Oppo to Realiser will be more of the same with the new A16.

I have been using one single PRIR (actually two, one for 5.1 source and one for 7.1 source) in my two A8's ever since June 2009 when I had my two measurements done at AIX here in LA. They are fantastic, and I fully expect to use them in my A16 as well for listening to "conventional" 5.1/7.1 source material. If I can eventually discover an Atmos location in which to get an Atmos PRIR created, I will do that as well, although I currently don't own any discs that have that sound track available. I have acquired perhaps four other PRIR's (all measured personally through my own ears at four listening environments I have arranged for), but for me these are simply "novelty" PRIR's. Nothing sounds as perfect as my AIX PRIR's.

So, I repeat... what did I say that you either disagree with or take issue with? The intended purpose of this technology is to attempt to duplicate through stereo headphones and a PRIR/HPEQ set the precise listening experience one would have at a real multi-loudspeaker environment, if you actually had the opportunity to go back to that listening environment in which the PRIR was measured and now listen to the new source program content through those original speakers and sitting in that original chair location again. If with an A/B comparison you cannot tell the difference between the real speakers AT THAT LOCATION and listening through your headphones, then the PRIR is perfect and the Realiser has done its job.

The Realiser is not trying to "improve" in some sense anything about the sound. It is trying to DUPLICATE that original listening environment (however good or bad it was), as its stated goal, so that an A/B comparison has you saying "I can't tell the difference between listening through headphones and listening through real speakers".
Sorry I must of misread, please forgive me on that. I am too a Realiser 16 subscriber, and awaiting the delivery, which was just delayed. I have a problem with that I have decent speakers and amplifier, but don't have a decent room, and am running a 5.1.2 setup using all Martin Logan Motion XT speakers, with 2 older Bose surround back speakers, in a L shaped room, so Surrounds are spread out farther on one side, but my Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3050 synced very well with their mic, but its not perfect, so hoping to get a good measurement, but need to find a location which has a full dolby Atmos/Auru setup to get a better sound setup for the device when it comes. I'm on the East coast so LA would be a travel expense. Also wanted to know if the HDMI ARC output from my receiver would work by going through the Reliser16 HDMI input back to my TV and give me the ability to hear the headphones at the same time the speakers are on so I can crank it up more on the headphones and enjoy a better surround experience while my wife does not complain the house is shaking. I also have shakers on the chair and sofa to enhance to bass, very surreal.
post #26 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just paid the balance a couple of months ago. Didn't get any email about a delay. Any links?
post #27 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I just paid the balance a couple of months ago. Didn't get any email about a delay. Any links?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1858178

Well worth the wait for HDMI 2.0a:

A16 shipping postponed until August 2017

Posted by Stephen Smyth
12 Comments

13 likes
Unfortunately due to a number of hold-ups in the metalwork and moulding manufacturing we are unable to fulfil our original shipping timetable. We now expect to begin shipping sometime August 2017. On the plus side we will now be shipping all Kickstarter and Pre-Sales A16s together, irrespective of pledge level or pre-sale price, and we almost certainly will be able to include the new MDS HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) board in each unit.

I apologise for the delay

Stephen Smyth

Last edited by Stevez176; 04-26-2017 at 07:42 AM.
post #28 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mine wasn't part of the kickstarter program. I should probably subscribe.
post #29 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does the MDS board mean all the inputs are HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compatible now?
post #30 of 45 Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Does the MDS board mean all the inputs are HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compatible now?
I believe all ports are 2.0a which gives full HDR support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page