Replacing Bose, where to start? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mechmat

post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Replacing Bose, where to start?

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this. Apologies if it is not.

My father bought a Bose system in 1999 for about $2800. The receiver seems to be dead so it looks like it's time to replace it. The guy at the Bose store said he could give my dad the Bose Lifestyle Soundtouch 535 system for $1750 if he trades in the old one (it retails for $3500). My dad asked me if he could build a better home theater for less than $1750, and I honestly don't know.

So I'm looking for advice. Is sticking with Bose the way to go given the discount? If not, I really don't know where to start. What are some good receiver and speaker combinations that fit into this price range? The system is mainly for the TV, but will be used for music and with a turntable if possible.

Anyway, I'd like some input to get me going in the correct direction. Anything you can add to the discussion is much appreciated.
noshank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Something like this should work. Prices may be lower somewhere else.
Speakers 2 bookshelf with 6.5" midrange. Much better sound than little bose drivers.
Elac B6 $280 pair. Elac C5 center speaker $180. Elac B5 $230 pair surround.

Or go with 4 of the smaller model and save $50. Avoid going any smaller than
5" midrange woofers for quality sound. For subwoofer there are many good options.
To stay with elac means the s10"eq 400 watt model for $500. A little pricy, but has
a nice room eq built in that can help the deep bass sound better.

Receiver has plenty of options. The yamaha a1040 for $570 fits the budget and
does it all that bose level surround gear does and then some. $1580 total.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechmat View Post
So I'm looking for advice. Is sticking with Bose the way to go given the discount?
No, absolutely not. Hearing for myself the awfulness of all 3 of their ridiculously priced Cinemate systems, the tiny drivers they use are too big to make good tweeters and too small to provide adequate low end. You have 100s of speakers to choose from that at the very least, are a proper design with a tweeter + separate mid-low driver.

Their "Acoustimass" module is more nonsense and cannot compare to a real subwoofer. Notice how they don't even try to call it a subwoofer.

You can find tons of posts on multiple forums about the awfulness of their tiny speakers, horrible frequency response and directivity measurements, lack of any basic specs, cost, marketing bs, etc. etc. etc.

What would I recommend in that price range?

5 Ascend HTM200se $674
Any denon or yamaha receiver $279-$600
SVS PB1000 or Rhythmic L12 sub $500-$569

IMHO, the Ascend HTM200se speakers are a fantastic value that perform better then any other speakers in their size/price range.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Ascend acoustics makes decent speakers. My first 5.1 was the 170/340 set.
They were very boxy and ugly though. These 200's look nice and are slightly
smaller than the elac b5. I wll take a 5" woofer any day over 4" or smaller.
Here are a few links with reviews of the elac and a few other competitors.
Andrew jones has a pioneer line that is cheap and good sounding too.

Elac B5 review with measurements.
The B6 review from cnet.
Cheap speaker shootout.
Elac review.
Pioneer speakers.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
These 200's look nice and are slightly
smaller than the elac b5. I wll take a 5" woofer any day over 4" or smaller.
The Ascend HTM has dual 4" woofers. They also use a really high quality tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Ascend acoustics makes decent speakers.
Have you heard the Towers, Sierra 2s, or Horizon with RAAL ribbons? I think most people who have heard them would argue they are much better then "decent" speakers

Last edited by duckymomo; 05-14-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM

I'm curious as to why Elac doesn't include the +/- db range for their fq response specs.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The elac website is pretty bad. I don't trust any speaker manufacturer specs anyway.
Ascend is better than most with graphs. And I used to live 2 miles from their headquarters
in San Clemente, Ca. I was near the pier (ocean). By then I already owned about 50 speakers
and hit my limit. I am very flexible on speakers and will wait for the op.

I am flexible on receivers too, but offered up a suitable model that fits the budget and works
pretty much bug free. Even has phonograph. I guess we scared them away.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechmat View Post
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this. Apologies if it is not.

My father bought a Bose system in 1999 for about $2800. The receiver seems to be dead so it looks like it's time to replace it. The guy at the Bose store said he could give my dad the Bose Lifestyle Soundtouch 535 system for $1750 if he trades in the old one (it retails for $3500). My dad asked me if he could build a better home theater for less than $1750, and I honestly don't know.

So I'm looking for advice. Is sticking with Bose the way to go given the discount? If not, I really don't know where to start. What are some good receiver and speaker combinations that fit into this price range? The system is mainly for the TV, but will be used for music and with a turntable if possible.

Anyway, I'd like some input to get me going in the correct direction. Anything you can add to the discussion is much appreciated.
First things first. You and Dad need to figure out what you want this new system to do for you. You mentioned Vinyl. In its native state, vinyl is two channel. So you need to shop accordingly. How many channels do you want?
Do you want to start with some components and speakers...like three front speakers, that will simply allow you to expand to already existing surround formats as well as the new formats like Atmos.
Do you want to build a system over time, or do you want the first purchase to be the complete system?
This is where Bose does a great job. One stop shopping...a complete system...plug in and you're done...you're into music, and watching movies right now.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2016, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm researching all of the suggestions made so far. I'm very intrigued by the Elacs but still considering other options. Does anyone know about their cheaper sub? They don't crank to music too loud often, and my dad would appreciate the lower price. Some of the user reviews say it might not be appropriate for a room that size though. I really have no idea. I've also been looking at the Klipsch R-10sw. Any input on that? It seems decent and is a lot cheaper.

Regarding the last post before this, it's going to be mainly for TV use, with occasionally low to moderate volume LP and other music. I think he'd rather buy it all at once that piece it together over time, as my parents are already retired and not really going to be saving up more money. I think a surround type system and a head with phonograph input will be sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page