Newbie - Need Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-29-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Newbie - Need Advice

Hello, this is my first post here so please bear with me!!!!

A- For the past 15 years we have been utilizing an RCA RT2500 audio/video receiver for our den's surround sound system. I've only utilized the audio input/output jacks as I did not care or see any advantage of utilizing the video inputs/outputs. I simply wanted to have this unit provide the surround sound audio for our TV and DVD player .............. which it did. While there were many other choices when we originally shopped, the RT2500 met our expectations and served us satisfactorily. While the sound was nothing like that of being in a movie theater, it was much better than utilizing the standard TV speakers and it did provide the surround sound experience.

B- Just a couple of weeks back the right front channel on the RT2500 quit functioning. It appears this particular unit can no longer be repaired or it's not advisable.

C- I guess I have two choices and would like some expert advice:

1- Since the speakers are all functioning and all wiring is in place, I was curious if there was a current receiver someone might recommend that would easily replace the RT2500 receiver? The RT2500 had a Front L/R channel, Rear L/R channel, Front center channel and passive subwoofer (5.2 audio - 5 channels @ 100 watts each and subwoofer @ 200 watts). Can someone recommend a unit that would easily replace my dying RT2500, but yet utilize the existing wiring and speakers?

2- Or I could purchase a new system that ships with new speakers and most likely a powered subwoofer. I know there are some good sound systems out there, such as Bose, but they also come with a "good" price tag. Can someone recommend a system that will beat what I had BUT yet will fit in my budget of $1350 or less?

Thanking you in advance for your time and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-29-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A couple things. First, what type of speakers do you have as that will help understand what type of power you may need. For example, efficient bookshelves need less than some less efficient towers. Second, what are you looking for home theater wise. Basic cable & blu ray or do you plan on having a lot of inputs and interested in Airplay/network based listening. Lastly, I have no experience with Bose but the general feeling is highly over priced. If you don't need speakers or subwoofer then $1350 can get you a lot.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 354
^^^ What he said. The More Information you provide, the better we'll be able to help you. knowing the size of your room would also be very helpful. Please stay away from Bose! you can get much better for your budget.
Is $1350 including receiver?

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvl1414 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here so please bear with me!!!!

A- For the past 15 years we have been utilizing an RCA RT2500 audio/video receiver for our den's surround sound system. I've only utilized the audio input/output jacks as I did not care or see any advantage of utilizing the video inputs/outputs. I simply wanted to have this unit provide the surround sound audio for our TV and DVD player .............. which it did. While there were many other choices when we originally shopped, the RT2500 met our expectations and served us satisfactorily. While the sound was nothing like that of being in a movie theater, it was much better than utilizing the standard TV speakers and it did provide the surround sound experience.

B- Just a couple of weeks back the right front channel on the RT2500 quit functioning. It appears this particular unit can no longer be repaired or it's not advisable.

C- I guess I have two choices and would like some expert advice:

1- Since the speakers are all functioning and all wiring is in place, I was curious if there was a current receiver someone might recommend that would easily replace the RT2500 receiver? The RT2500 had a Front L/R channel, Rear L/R channel, Front center channel and passive subwoofer (5.2 audio - 5 channels @ 100 watts each and subwoofer @ 200 watts). Can someone recommend a unit that would easily replace my dying RT2500, but yet utilize the existing wiring and speakers?

2- Or I could purchase a new system that ships with new speakers and most likely a powered subwoofer. I know there are some good sound systems out there, such as Bose, but they also come with a "good" price tag. Can someone recommend a system that will beat what I had BUT yet will fit in my budget of $1350 or less?

Thanking you in advance for your time and advice!
Also include the impedance of your speakers; ohm rating, usually 6 or 8 ohms, maybe 4.

You can get a lot of receiver for $1350.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!

Thanks folks for trying to help!

1- The room is rectangular in shape and is 24' X 15'

2- The TV monitor sits in the middle of one of the longer walls ..... if that is important.

3- The main front speakers, center speaker and surround speakers are rated at 6 ohms with a handling power of 80 to 120 watts. The subwoofer is rated at 3 ohms with a handling power of 50 to 200 watts.

4- If this will help, here is a link to all specs:

cnet.com/products/rca-rt2500-home-theater-system/specs

5- It does sound that I might need to adjust the budget somewhat if I can't utilize my existing speakers and wiring. I will not say that is impossible, I just was hoping I could remain under $1350. Time will tell!

Thanks so very much again!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp RT2500 Photo.bmp (268.1 KB, 39 views)
post #6 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Additional Comment

For what it is worth, the RCA RT2500 received somewhat good reviews over the years.

1- Most individuals gave the receiver a very high rating.

2- Again, most individuals rated the speakers that shipped with the system as very good. Most stated the speakers were a somewhat perfect match for the receiver with very little to almost no distortion.

3- However, the subwoofer got a fairly poor rating. Most individuals felt it was best to trash the included passive subwoofer and purchase a powered subwoofer. It was felt this made the system sound excellent. I never went that route. Maybe I should have??
post #7 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have been looking over the OLD specs myself and noticed the subwoofer is listed as "Active". I though I had a passive subwoofer? I do know there is not an amplifier or whatever in the subwoofer enclosure. It is very light! Anyway, I'm not sure what I have with the subwoofer and if it is even important since I will probably be upgrading ........ or at least upgrading the subwoofer!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't spend too much on the receiver, A Yamaha RX-A740 Denon Avr 710W [ or something along those lines] both have roughly the same amount of power as you current receiver. Gettng a better sub like HSU,SVS will make a huge difference. I would try that first before upgrading your speakers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR, Kef Q200c center, JBL Loft 40 surrounds , JBL SP 150 & Bic F12 subs, Denon AVR710Ws, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Samsung cable box, Xbox One, Toshiba laptop.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 FL/FR , Loft 20 center, JBLSP 150 sub, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Three quick questions:

1- Of the two receivers you listed, which would be your preference to utilize with the speakers I currently have? Or would one perform better with the speakers I now have?

2- I know very little about subwoofers. Would you be willing to recommend one or two particular models to use with the receivers you mentioned?

3- And just so that I can look and make an informed decision, can you recommend a setup that comes complete with everything, much like the one I currently have. Naturally, the new setup would have a much, much better sub than I am currently using.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

After reading other post and further thinking, I feel I have a better handle on things and would like further recommendations as follows:

1- I truly need nothing beyond 5.1 audio. It may not hurt to get a receiver with 7.1 capability, but it may save money to just stick with 5.1 - You folks will have to educate me on this one if needed.

2- I'm now thinking it would be best to build a new system. The new receiver will be used with a DVD player and TV (Directv box). Possibly a blu ray player in the future.

3- I am currently utilizing the optical outputs from the DVD player and Directv box and would like to continue in this method unless there is reason not to.

4- So, without trying to get the best, but getting something that would be considered at least average to somewhat above average and plenty adequate for my 24' X 15' room, what recommendations can you folks give for:

A- Receiver
B- front and rear speakers
C- center speaker
D- Subwoofer

Hopefully, your recommendations will also include the best places to purchase the new equipment at the lowest possible price. This method gives me what one might consider to be a HTIAB, but will actually be a lot better ............ I hope!!
post #11 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are in Chicago-land area then I have a Definitive Technology 5 speaker setup posted on Craigs as well as a Pioneer SC Elite 85 receiver. For what I'm looking for on those you would still have some $ left for a sub.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post
If you are in Chicago-land area then I have a Definitive Technology 5 speaker setup posted on Craigs as well as a Pioneer SC Elite 85 receiver. For what I'm looking for on those you would still have some $ left for a sub.
I'm in South Carolina, but thanks for the offer.

Any suggestions from you or anyone on what I should purchase?

Thanks so much!
post #13 of 16 Old 05-31-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The Elac B6 are very well liked by several members on this forum and have very positive reviews. Hard to beat for $279 a pair [maybe cheaper if you shop around]. Pair that with a C5 Center and you're good to go. you can use your existing speakers for surrounds since they only provide 10-15% of the soundtrack and you can upgrade those later.
http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Bookshel...=elac+speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Center-S...=elac+speakers
Subwoofer I would suggest one of these.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
or
http://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
PB 2000 if your budget allows.
receiver.
This set-up would likely work well and is within your budget.
There are other options as well. Others will chime in soon enough.

Last edited by pase22; 05-31-2016 at 11:32 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks pase 22! You've been a big help. I will look at what you have suggested and make my decision.

In the meantime, if you come up with something better, please let me know.

By the way: someone had suggested a couple of receivers in an earlier post and the link was to accessories4less.com. Their pricing appeared to be exceptional ........ beating Amazon by a large amount. Do you know of this company? Are they safe to deal with?

Thanks so much!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-bookshelf
http://www.svsound.com/products/prime-center
http://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000
This is another option that would keep you in budget. These also get high praise and have yet to find negative reviews. they offer a 45 day in home trial. These would be an excellent choice for your budget . As previously mentioned, you can upgrade your surrounds later. Accessories for less is highly recomended by many members and AFIAK they seem to be very legit. I have not dealt with them persoanally since I'm Canada and they don't ship outside the U.S.

post #16 of 16 Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You should consider posting your speaker questions in the speaker section of the forum. you are more likely to get help from knoledgeable folks. I have provided you with a few options but there maybe some other recomondations that other members can provide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page