Yamaha HTR-5280: fix or replace - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By D Bone

post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yamaha HTR-5280: fix or replace

Try to make this short. I've had the 5280 since new and although I have a Pioneer KURO, obviously with HDMI, I've loved the sound of this receiver. It has 6 channel input jacks, so I got an Oppo 103D because it has the analog outs.

Recently the 5280's subwoofer in or output quit. So, I've been hesitatingly looking at a replacement. But one audio site said the newer power supplies will not equal what I have; look at the weight difference. The 5280 is 33lbs., the newer Yamahas are ~18lbs. Here's the thing: I don't want more than the 5.1 system I have. I know the newer receivers have advanced room correction software, but I don't know whether to get something new or have this fixed. And I don't want to go high end.

Do newer receivers in the mid-range sound this good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post
Try to make this short. I've had the 5280 since new and although I have a Pioneer KURO, obviously with HDMI, I've loved the sound of this receiver. It has 6 channel input jacks, so I got an Oppo 103D because it has the analog outs.

Recently the 5280's subwoofer in or output quit. So, I've been hesitatingly looking at a replacement. But one audio site said the newer power supplies will not equal what I have; look at the weight difference. The 5280 is 33lbs., the newer Yamahas are ~18lbs. Here's the thing: I don't want more than the 5.1 system I have. I know the newer receivers have advanced room correction software, but I don't know whether to get something new or have this fixed. And I don't want to go high end.

I myself had the same quandary several years ago with my Yammy HTR-5760, but mine worked flawlessly, I just needed HDMI because of my new 1080p display and DirecTV HD. I ended up giving it away to my daughter's boy friend, who at the time had nothing and I liked the kid.

To answer your question, yes the new units sound even better. I have since switched over to Denon because of their features and sound vs price. My X3200 is considered their mid level AVR and I really like it.

I also "only" need 5.1 (actually 4.1 since I purpose don't run the dreaded center speaker) but most, if not all, AVRs that are 5.1 are lower end. You're going to have to go with 7.1 and live with having unused amps.

Don't let the weight fool you, these things still crank.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT Flat / DEQ OFF~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:

Makes little sense for the sub feature to go out..
It is possible but not likely..
Are U sure the subwoofer itself didn't crap out?
Have U tried a Processor Reset for the Yamaha?

Just my $0.02...

post #4 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Processor reset? I didn't know about that. As for the sub, I've been using an old Klipsch sub for a long time, but tried another sub, a JBL, with same results.

If the reset doesn't work, isn't this a shame? It's the only thing that doesn't work.

And thanks D Bone for debunking the power supply remark. That got to me. You know, I've seen decent companies selling low priced stuff and wondered what was going on.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

The only "processor reset" I could find was turning the memory off and unplugging the unit from the wall. Dang! No difference.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

18 months ago I bought a brand new Harman Kardon 2700 and I owned it for 43 days and the sub out failed. I reset the unit and it wasn't my sub (which I stll have and use everyday) but it was the sub out itself. There was a signal, but it was no longer variable.... Fixed at a low level and it didn't matter what I set the trim to, it remained the same.

Luckily JR took care of me and gave me a total refund and paid for return shipping even though I was 13 days past their 30 day return period.

1st and last HK product.
Alan G. likes this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 BD ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ SVS Prime Bookshelf L/R ~ SVS Prime Satellite Surrounds ~ MultEQ XT Flat / DEQ OFF~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
The only "processor reset" I could find was turning the memory off and unplugging the unit from the wall. Dang! No difference.
Check the Operation Guide page 61, lower right...

Just my $0.02..
post #8 of 11 Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Check the Operation Guide page 61, lower right...

Just my $0.02..
That just resets all of the sound field parameters (reverb, room size, ect..) Page 70 says he needs to unplug the unit for 30 seconds if it doesn't act correctly.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an HTR-5280 that still works flawlessly. I found this thread while looking up the specs. I am torn because I want a new receiver with HDMI ports, but I can't justify spending the money when this receiver will not die. I bought it new at Best Buy some time around 1998 or 1999. I just can't believe that it is still kicking. I was looking at a refurbished RX-A3050 to replace it, but it's hard to get the wife to buy into replacing something that still serves a purpose.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Also, depending on your buget, Anthem makes a kickass 5.2 AVR and you can now get it at Crutchfield with their generous return policy.... Probably the best 5 channel AVR on the market:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_973MRX5...20.html?tp=179

post #11 of 11 Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

The Anthem is a bit above my budget and to be honest, I've never even SEEN one. But I'm going to be doing some reading for sure. Thanks for the hint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page