Airplay to Denon and Yamaha AVRs FAILING (Hardwired) - PLEASE HELP! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Airplay to Denon and Yamaha AVRs FAILING (Hardwired) - PLEASE HELP!

I'm throwing in the towel on a problem I've had for almost 2 years now. In short -- Trying to airplay to both of my AVRs (A Yamaha 675 and a Denon x4200w) causes each receiver to drop off the network and "reset" usually within the first few minutes. Everything (including the computers I am initiating the iTunes airplay from) is HARD WIRED. IT happens when I airplay to just one of them, or to both of them at once. Doesn't matter.

I've had this problem ever since I set up the network, so I have to assume that the problem IS the network. My key suspect right now is the Verizon Fios G1100 Quantum Router, though I can't believe that is the only problem here, as there has to be more to it. Wouldn't there be more complaints from other FIOS customers out there who are trying to use the G1100 as their main router and having similar issues?

I'm fairly technical, I set everything up myself (which could be part of the issue, who the heck knows) but I'm willing to dig deep into the router's advanced logs if there might be clues on what's going on here.

Also, I will say, there are some gigabite switches in the mix here. The router is just one of the devices on the network and is not the main "hub". My main hub is a 10/100/1000 20 port switch that feeds to various ethernet ports around the house. Some rooms (including the AV closets) have their own 10/100/1000 switch to feed the other devices (it's not a direct line from the main hub to the devices but that shouldn't matter -- though we have to consider all possibilities).

Using the mobile apps for both the Yamaha and the the Denon AVRs, I can see that when airplay sound stops, the receiver does some sort of a sort reboot of the network. The AVRs stay powered on, but there is around a 30 second delay before you can see them on the network in their apps again. It's as if they are being totally kicked off the network, and then rejoining. This doesn't happen when they are sitting idle, only when content is being streamed to them via airplay.

I have done excessive googling and have managed to find a thread or two about both Yamaha and Denon AVRs and this G1100 router, but nothing substantial for a problem this big, so I have to assume there is a config setting on the router or something else I have introduced into my network causing this conflict.

I figured I'd start here, if anyone has any suggestions on what I could look for or try, I'm open. I have tried using DHCP on and off on both AVRs with no luck (manually assigning IPs), airplaying one at a time, both at a time, etc. At first I thought it was just Yahama AVRs (I had two) but now that I have the one Yamaha, and the one Denon, and they BOTH do the same thing (at slightly different intervals), I have to look at something other than the AVR as the problem here.

I have not yet tried just yanking the G1100 router because of the PITA of setting up a new router (plus I use FIOS TV which requires this router to be in play)...But I may have to go there next if my mission is truly to prove that the G1100 router is the problem -- Though if it is, other than ditching FIOS and going back to Comcast just to get rid of this router, I may be stuck a while...

If anyone knows anything about this I'd really love to hear from you here or even via PM - I am out of ideas but hope the experts here have some I haven't considered yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
I'm throwing in the towel on a problem I've had for almost 2 years now. In short -- Trying to airplay to both of my AVRs (A Yamaha 675 and a Denon x4200w) causes each receiver to drop off the network and "reset" usually within the first few minutes. Everything (including the computers I am initiating the iTunes airplay from) is HARD WIRED. IT happens when I airplay to just one of them, or to both of them at once. Doesn't matter.

I've had this problem ever since I set up the network, so I have to assume that the problem IS the network. My key suspect right now is the Verizon Fios G1100 Quantum Router, though I can't believe that is the only problem here, as there has to be more to it. Wouldn't there be more complaints from other FIOS customers out there who are trying to use the G1100 as their main router and having similar issues?

I'm fairly technical, I set everything up myself (which could be part of the issue, who the heck knows) but I'm willing to dig deep into the router's advanced logs if there might be clues on what's going on here.

Also, I will say, there are some gigabite switches in the mix here. The router is just one of the devices on the network and is not the main "hub". My main hub is a 10/100/1000 20 port switch that feeds to various ethernet ports around the house. Some rooms (including the AV closets) have their own 10/100/1000 switch to feed the other devices (it's not a direct line from the main hub to the devices but that shouldn't matter -- though we have to consider all possibilities).

Using the mobile apps for both the Yamaha and the the Denon AVRs, I can see that when airplay sound stops, the receiver does some sort of a sort reboot of the network. The AVRs stay powered on, but there is around a 30 second delay before you can see them on the network in their apps again. It's as if they are being totally kicked off the network, and then rejoining. This doesn't happen when they are sitting idle, only when content is being streamed to them via airplay.

I have done excessive googling and have managed to find a thread or two about both Yamaha and Denon AVRs and this G1100 router, but nothing substantial for a problem this big, so I have to assume there is a config setting on the router or something else I have introduced into my network causing this conflict.

I figured I'd start here, if anyone has any suggestions on what I could look for or try, I'm open. I have tried using DHCP on and off on both AVRs with no luck (manually assigning IPs), airplaying one at a time, both at a time, etc. At first I thought it was just Yahama AVRs (I had two) but now that I have the one Yamaha, and the one Denon, and they BOTH do the same thing (at slightly different intervals), I have to look at something other than the AVR as the problem here.

I have not yet tried just yanking the G1100 router because of the PITA of setting up a new router (plus I use FIOS TV which requires this router to be in play)...But I may have to go there next if my mission is truly to prove that the G1100 router is the problem -- Though if it is, other than ditching FIOS and going back to Comcast just to get rid of this router, I may be stuck a while...

If anyone knows anything about this I'd really love to hear from you here or even via PM - I am out of ideas but hope the experts here have some I haven't considered yet.
Unplug and get rid of your Amazon Echos
Old 06-23-2016, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunegoon View Post
Unplug and get rid of your Amazon Echos
Thanks for the reply. Had no idea the echo caused this to happen (same symptoms I saw described in the reddit thread I found after reading your post).

So, yep -- Echo is getting unplugged and I'll be running more tests to see if the cutouts stop. If they do -- Echo is going bye bye.

I can't believe the issue was discovered 4 months ago and hasn't been fixed yet, meanwhile I get a dumb email every week about how Echo can now help me do my taxes or whatever. Nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement