Need advice for indoor/outdoor sound - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need advice for indoor/outdoor sound

Hello, I'm new to the A/V world and ready to blow the walls off my house. I have been reading for days trying to figure out what I need and none of it seems to make sense so I'm going to fire off some observations and questions. For the last 13 years of marriage we have been watching TV and movies through the TV speakers of a 60" Samsung DLP. Recently upgraded to a 65" Samsung with 3D that we never use.

We are moving into a new house in 4 weeks (August 1st) and we are ready to make a small investment. We don't have a media room, so we will be watching movies in the living room. The house has a pool with an outdoor TV and speakers which we are really excited about but I'm not sure exactly what I need to power everything. We want to make sure we can listen to music outside and watch TV with sound (maybe not at the same time).

I am not sure if any of the speakers will be staying with the house but I will worry about that later. As of right now I noticed 4 outdoor speakers, 2 near the outdoor TV and 2 rock looking speakers near the pool. There are also 4 speakers on the walls in the living room 2 front and 2 rear.

At this point I know we need a receiver inside to power our living room setup which I'm assuming is 5.1 as it is now since there are 4 wall speakers. My investment budget right now is $300 but can stretch it to $400 if necessary for a receiver. Again, I'll worry about speakers once I figure out what the previous owners are leaving behind. What I don't know, is exactly what type of receiver I need to power inside and outside.

Needs that I'm aware of:
Stream music from iphones, ipods.
Control the volume and music with iPhone or iPad from outside.Power indoor and outdoor (I think we want them to be independent in case the kids want music outside while we are watching TV inside).
5.1 or maybe 7.1. Since this is our first setup we will be in hog heaven either way.
Is 4k needed since we have a 4k TV?
Doesn't overheat. I would like to keep it in a closed cabinet.
RF remote or other tech that doesn't require line of sight. Might not even be an issue since I'm planning on buying a Harmony Elite remote. I'll check forums here before I buy a remote.

A few questions:
When we are watching TV outside will we be able to hear the TV volume as well as music or will we choose 1 or the other?
If I buy a 7.1 receiver can I run it as 5.1 if I don't want to invest in more speakers right now?
Right now I'm looking at a Denon X2000 ($279) but others that are $20 more are:
Yamaha RX-A740, V673, V773. (All are $299).

If there is a great reason to move to a $400 range I would probably do it. Marantz SR5009, Denon X2200, Yamaha A750, A840, Onkyo NR747 all right at $400.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If I need to clarify ask away!
Sponsored Links