Need Advice on video for HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2016, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nikto34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Need Advice on video for HT

I am seeking advice on the best way to bring 4K, HDMI 2.0a, and HDR to my HT. I currently run 7.2 channel system with a Pioneer SC-75 and Outlaw M2200s for the LCR and the receiver amps for the other channels (I will be upgrading the surround channels to an Outlaw Model 7125 soon). I use the room for 70% movies and 30% music (I enjoy multi-channel surround music but also stereo). I am not interested in Atmos as the room I am using does not lend itself to easily adding ceiling speakers and I am not really sure it is worth the added expense. I do want to move to 4K in the future. However, most of the receivers and processors out there that have 4K and HDR support all include Atmos and have extra channels that I will not use. I have been thinking of trying to set up my HTPC to handle the surround as I use JRiver but not sure how to do this. I have also considered buying an older quality processor that supports the modes I want and then purchase a video processor separate for the 4K, HDMI 2.0a, HDR support but not sure how to make this work as well. Finally, I have been thinking of not using a video processor at all and just a sound processor but again, not sure what would be best.

As you can see, I am a little confused on what would be the best next direction. I have been trying to read various forums and threads but can not seem to find a good answer. I thought I would start a post to get some input from the AVS community.
nikto34 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,772
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
For full 4K support (HDMI v2.0a for HDR and HDCP v2.2 for copy-protected 4K video) you need a 2015 or later model of receiver. Unfortunately, Pioneer provides those features on only three of their HDMI inputs. Other companies, like Denon, Marantz and Yamaha, provide them on all of their inputs.

If you get a receiver without HDMI v2.0a/HDCP v2.2, then you need to run two HDMI cables from each of your 4K input devices: one to carry video to the display and one to carry audio to the receiver. All of the current or soon-to-be-available 4K UHD Blu-ray players (Philips, Panasonic and Samsung) have the necessary dual outputs. That's not the case for the Roku 4 streamer, though.

Atmos (and DTS:X soon with a firmware update) is now available on all current AVRs except for the bottom-of-the-line entry-level 5.1 channel models (of which each manufacturer has only one), so it doesn't cost extra any more. The lowest priced 7.1 AVR models typically have list prices slightly under $500, but if you call an authorized dealer on the phone they'll be able to quote a much lower price. They just aren't allowed to publish those prices publicly. Alternatively, authorized refurbished models (with shorter warranty periods) are available from Accessories4less. They sell the Denon AVR-S710W (a 2015 model) for about $270, for example, and the 720 for about $100 more. A 4K-capable video processor would cost much more than that.

To support 4K with JRiver, you'll need a 4k graphics card that supports HDCP v2.2. They're still very expensive. You'd just plug its HDMI output into a 4K-capable receiver.

One problem that people usually overlook until it bites them is getting HDMI cables which can reliably carry 4K signals. Inadequate cables cause intermittent audio and video dropouts. You'll need cables which are "Certified Premium". Standard Speed and High Speed cables won't work well.

Does this help?

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nikto34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
For full 4K support (HDMI v2.0a for HDR and HDCP v2.2 for copy-protected 4K video) you need a 2015 or later model of receiver. Unfortunately, Pioneer provides those features on only three of their HDMI inputs. Other companies, like Denon, Marantz and Yamaha, provide them on all of their inputs.

If you get a receiver without HDMI v2.0a/HDCP v2.2, then you need to run two HDMI cables from each of your 4K input devices: one to carry video to the display and one to carry audio to the receiver. All of the current or soon-to-be-available 4K UHD Blu-ray players (Philips, Panasonic and Samsung) have the necessary dual outputs. That's not the case for the Roku 4 streamer, though.

Atmos (and DTS:X soon with a firmware update) is now available on all current AVRs except for the bottom-of-the-line entry-level 5.1 channel models (of which each manufacturer has only one), so it doesn't cost extra any more. The lowest priced 7.1 AVR models typically have list prices slightly under $500, but if you call an authorized dealer on the phone they'll be able to quote a much lower price. They just aren't allowed to publish those prices publicly. Alternatively, authorized refurbished models (with shorter warranty periods) are available from Accessories4less. They sell the Denon AVR-S710W (a 2015 model) for about $270, for example, and the 720 for about $100 more. A 4K-capable video processor would cost much more than that.

To support 4K with JRiver, you'll need a 4k graphics card that supports HDCP v2.2. They're still very expensive. You'd just plug its HDMI output into a 4K-capable receiver.

One problem that people usually overlook until it bites them is getting HDMI cables which can reliably carry 4K signals. Inadequate cables cause intermittent audio and video dropouts. You'll need cables which are "Certified Premium". Standard Speed and High Speed cables won't work well.

Does this help?
Thanks for the info! Yes, this is helpful and I will take a look at some of the models you suggested. Also the 4K info is helpful. The one thing I don't want to lose is quality in the sound department and sometimes the DACs in the lower priced AVRs are not as good as what is in the SC-75. I want to at least stay the same or move up in this area.
nikto34 is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,772
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikto34 View Post
Thanks for the info! Yes, this is helpful and I will take a look at some of the models you suggested. Also the 4K info is helpful. The one thing I don't want to lose is quality in the sound department and sometimes the DACs in the lower priced AVRs are not as good as what is in the SC-75. I want to at least stay the same or move up in this area.
Well, the SC-75 has (had?) a list price of about $1600. For comparable quality, you're going to be paying a comparable price. Of course, refurbished units are less. 2015 AVRs (thus with 4K support) at comparable positions in manufacturers' lineups probably would be the Marantz SR5010, Denon AVR-X4200W, Yamaha RX-A2050 and Pioneer SC-95. They typically list for slightly above $1K.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nikto34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Well, the SC-75 has (had?) a list price of about $1600. For comparable quality, you're going to be paying a comparable price. Of course, refurbished units are less. 2015 AVRs (thus with 4K support) at comparable positions in manufacturers' lineups probably would be the Marantz SR5010, Denon AVR-X4200W, Yamaha RX-A2050 and Pioneer SC-95. They typically list for slightly above $1K.
Yeah, fortunately I did not pay list price and got the SC-75 for about $1K when it was still new. I will check out the models here and compare to what I currently have. Since 4K is still pretty new and I will need to get a new projector as well, I might hold off and wait until there is more content out there to make the change worthwhile.
nikto34 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
advice , surround processor



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off