Pioneer VSX-1123: Pandora Server Error - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 07-10-2016, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pioneer VSX-1123: Pandora Server Error

I have had a Pioneer VSX-1123 receiver for several years now, and have been using Pandora without issue until about 2 weeks ago. When I either use the AVControl app on my phone or select Pandora on the receiver, I get the message "Server Error". If I browse to the receiver's IP address and attempt to log in there, I get the message "Could not apply new settings". I have reset the receiver, reset my cable modem and wireless router, and I have updated the firmware on the receiver. I AM able to access Pandora on my phone and laptop. Search results pull up nothing but an issue from back in 2012 when Pandora made security changes, which required a firmware update for the Pioneer receivers. Has anyone else had issues with Pandora on their Pioneer receivers lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure1 View Post
I have had a Pioneer VSX-1123 receiver for several years now, and have been using Pandora without issue until about 2 weeks ago. When I either use the AVControl app on my phone or select Pandora on the receiver, I get the message "Server Error". If I browse to the receiver's IP address and attempt to log in there, I get the message "Could not apply new settings". I have reset the receiver, reset my cable modem and wireless router, and I have updated the firmware on the receiver. I AM able to access Pandora on my phone and laptop. Search results pull up nothing but an issue from back in 2012 when Pandora made security changes, which required a firmware update for the Pioneer receivers. Has anyone else had issues with Pandora on their Pioneer receivers lately?
I have the same problem. This just started 3 days ago, Pioneer VSX 1130 in my case. Internet radio plays just fine, and i can listen to pandora on my iphone and laptop, but i get the "server error" on my reciever. It was working fine and then it started doing this all of a sudden. I hope there is a solution soon. My firmware is up to date on the VSX 1130.
post #3 of 74 Old 07-10-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Already a thread about Pioneer and Pandora problems.

Pioneer and Pandora Login

Afro GT

post #4 of 74 Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4781
Newer than 2012 Denons also affected.
post #5 of 74 Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update. I had searched several times over the weekend, but never found any reference newer than the issues back in 2012.
post #6 of 74 Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a vsx-90 and am having the pandora server error too. Any news on how to fix it ?
post #7 of 74 Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceyraye22 View Post
I have a vsx-90 and am having the pandora server error too. Any news on how to fix it ?
Check for the new firmware update that came out recently. It fixes pandora issue.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 74 Old 07-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Liked: 10
No firmware update for the vsx-830-k yet, same issue with pandora.
post #9 of 74 Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Liked: 1
same issue no firmware update available

I have a VSX-1123 and have been having the same Pandora server error for about 3 weeks now. Best I can tell, Pioneer has not release a firmware update since 2013 on the VSX-1123 product page.
post #10 of 74 Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM

I have the same issue with my vsx-1123, and looks like there isn't even an acknowledgement by Pioneer.
post #11 of 74 Old 08-28-2016, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears_fan View Post
I have the same issue with my vsx-1123, and looks like there isn't even an acknowledgement by Pioneer.
Pioneer has acknowledged it, it just seems they aren't doing anything to fix the issue. From the way the statement is worded, it sounds like they're trying to steer people towards purchasing a new receiver. The thing is, my receiver is only a few years old and does almost everything the new models do, so I have no intentions of replacing it.

http://help.pioneerhomeusa.com/support/index.cfm
post #12 of 74 Old 08-29-2016, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15054 Post(s)
Liked: 7264
Quote:
Pioneer has acknowledged it, it just seems they aren't doing anything to fix the issue. From the way the statement is worded, it sounds like they're trying to steer people towards purchasing a new receiver. The thing is, my receiver is only a few years old and does almost everything the new models do, so I have no intentions of replacing it.

http://help.pioneerhomeusa.com/support/index.cfm

Not at all, rather simply (as is the case with Denon and Marantz models as well), the mfr is developing a firmware fix starting with the current models first and then working on the fix for the older models next.
post #13 of 74 Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not at all, rather simply (as is the case with Denon and Marantz models as well), the mfr is developing a firmware fix starting with the current models first and then working on the fix for the older models next.
Any idea when new firmware might be released? I've got a Denon from a few years ago and this issue is rather bothersome as my receiver has network but no bluetooth or other simple means to push Pandora... The issue has been present for months now and I can't fathom why it would take this long for a fix.
post #14 of 74 Old 08-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t231 View Post
Any idea when new firmware might be released? I've got a Denon from a few years ago and this issue is rather bothersome as my receiver has network but no bluetooth or other simple means to push Pandora... The issue has been present for months now and I can't fathom why it would take this long for a fix.
For the Denon models ....

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-using-pandora
post #15 of 74 Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM

Pandora not working in Pioneer SC-85 (fixed)

Just wanted to follow up on people with Pioneer SC-85 receivers....
I followed the aforementioned link from pioneer (I'm not able to paste any links due my user/account newbie restrictions)

- Downloaded/Unzipped the files from folder AVR15Z_0329 and dumped them into the root of my USB
drive.
- Inserted USB in front of my SC-85 receiver
- Went to system update of the receiver (will need to traverse down Pioneer Menu options that are not-so intuitive)
- When I selected "Update via Internet", it did not recognize any new firmware updates. So I selected "Update via USB Memory"
- Afterwards, receiver was able to recognize that firmware 1-295-008-518-126 (files in folder AVR15Z_0329) was ready to be installed.
- It took about 10 or so minutes.

After the update, Pandora finally worked!!! (I was without this feature for 3 or 4 months, sucked big time).

Good Luck Guys!
Eric
post #16 of 74 Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to see Pioneer has fixed at least one model. Still no updated firmware available for my 3 year old VSX-1123-K.
post #17 of 74 Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Over 3 months and still no fix for this problem.
post #18 of 74 Old 11-02-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Same problem on my 1222. This is what Pandora said:

Thanks for writing. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Pandora on your Pioneer receiver.

We have been actively working with the manufacturer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.
Please check for a firmware update on your device, as that is how the issue will be resolved. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.
If you do not yet have an update available from the settings of your receiver, we recommend reaching out to Pioneer directly for more information.
Hope this helps.

This is what Pioneer said:

This receiver needs an update since Pandora changed the way they format their music through the receiver.
We are still working on when an update will be released for this receiver.

So no Pandora for who knows how long, since my experience with Pioneer since I bought my 1222 has been "they don't care". BUT I did go looking for Internet Radio Stations and found some great ones including Secret Agent Radio that I used to listen to back at the turn of the century and thought it had gone away. Now have a pretty nice selection set up. Now watch that go away . . .

Last edited by FarmerBob; 11-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #19 of 74 Old 11-02-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
Same problem on my 1222. This is what Pandora said:

Thanks for writing. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Pandora on your Pioneer receiver.

We have been actively working with the manufacturer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.
Please check for a firmware update on your device, as that is how the issue will be resolved. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.
If you do not yet have an update available from the settings of your receiver, we recommend reaching out to Pioneer directly for more information.
Hope this helps.

This is what Pioneer said:

This receiver needs an update since Pandora changed the way they format their music through the receiver.
We are still working on when an update will be released for this receiver.

So no Pandora for who knows how long, since my experience with Pioneer since I bought my 1222 has been "they don't care". BUT I did go looking for Internet Radio Stations and found some great ones including Secret Agent Radio that I used to listen to back at the turn of the century and thought it had gone away. Now have a pretty nice selection set up. Now watch that go away . . .

In the meantime, there are plenty of other sources available in which to stream Pandora (eg. Bluetooth, TV or BDP smart app, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, etc.).
post #20 of 74 Old 11-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In the meantime, there are plenty of other sources available in which to stream Pandora (eg. Bluetooth, TV or BDP smart app, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, etc.).
Unfortunately, not easily for the way I used the 1222 to listen to Pandora. Supposedly it's being worked on. We'll just have to see.
post #21 of 74 Old 11-02-2016, 04:01 PM

Another reply from Pandora . . .

The information communicated from Pioneer that you’ve shared with me sounds in-line with the situation. We’ve been actively working with Pioneer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.
Apologies for the inconvenience. We greatly appreciate your patience!
I hope that Pandora has imposed upon Pioneer that there is "concern" about this? That just might get results and soon. Fingers crossed.
post #22 of 74 Old 11-12-2016, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

It might also help to email Pioneer relentlessly. pioneeradmin@pioneerhomeusa.com
I have been emailing them every few weeks. I can tell they are getting tired of my emails. Let's show them we won't stop bugging them until they fix the issue. Four months, and they don't have the resources to fix this issue? BS! They want you to buy a new receiver from them.

Last edited by Sinecure1; 11-13-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #23 of 74 Old 11-12-2016, 12:14 PM

I too now have this same problem on my SC-1222. It worked fine until about a week ago!
post #24 of 74 Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
It might also help to email Pioneer relentlessly.
I have been emailing them every few weeks. I can tell they are getting tired of my emails. Let's show them we won't stop bugging them until they fix the issue. Four months, and they don't have the resources to fix this issue? BS! They want you to buy a new receiver from them.
While I haven't sent as many emails (I've only sent 3), Pioneer has acknowledged in their response to me that this is a known, widespread problem. It's to the point now that their support staff are no longer responding to emails about Pandora. They have not responded to my last two messages, sent approximately 3 weeks apart. Clearly they are not staffed to handle a support update of this scale (one that affects the majority of their receivers), nor do they appear to have any intention of taking the necessary steps to implement a solution path in their support channel.

It DOES look like they are releasing firmware updates for newer receivers (those made in the past year) and have no intention of updating anything older that that. This is completely unacceptable and they will lose me as a customer FOREVER. Hang your hat on that VSX-1123 sale you made to me a few years ago Pioneer. If you don't fix the Pandora problem it will be the last money you EVER get from me. Creating abandonware receivers that don't have a support lifecycle longer than the warranty is not a good pathway to loyal customers. How many one time customer sales are you planning on?
post #25 of 74 Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwitch View Post
While I haven't sent as many emails (I've only sent 3), Pioneer has acknowledged in their response to me that this is a known, widespread problem. It's to the point now that their support staff are no longer responding to emails about Pandora. They have not responded to my last two messages, sent approximately 3 weeks apart. Clearly they are not staffed to handle a support update of this scale (one that affects the majority of their receivers), nor do they appear to have any intention of taking the necessary steps to implement a solution path in their support channel.

It DOES look like they are releasing firmware updates for newer receivers (those made in the past year) and have no intention of updating anything older that that. This is completely unacceptable and they will lose me as a customer FOREVER. Hang your hat on that VSX-1123 sale you made to me a few years ago Pioneer. If you don't fix the Pandora problem it will be the last money you EVER get from me. Creating abandonware receivers that don't have a support lifecycle longer than the warranty is not a good pathway to loyal customers. How many one time customer sales are you planning on?
This is nothing new. I've had issues with my 1222 since the day I got it and from the first call Pioneer TS, rude and condescending, let it be known that "They just don't care". From that I rather doubt that any action will be taken soon. I have until 2/27/17 until my extended warranty is up and I plan on using it to get a new Yamaha. Pioneer is no where near what they were both in product and service quality, for me since 2003 the year of the last good piece of gear I bought. My VSX-D909S was half the price and is ten times the machine on many levels. My colleagues and I have long stopped installing Pioneer gear of any kind, and discourage clients who want it. In a friends house I put in a Yamaha unit that is half what the SC-1222 is and it performs blood curdlingly better and I get ill every time I hear it. And that's WITHOUT any auto-adjustment and tiny satellite speakers. I have 8 JBL 4311's and a Showco Carpet Bagger 18" sub off the 1222 and yuck.
post #26 of 74 Old 11-15-2016, 09:38 AM

I sent a tweet to Pioneer yesterday. In that tweet, I included a link to this thread. I received an almost immediate response, but it was clear they didn't read the information because they responded on Twitter asking for details. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to be able to post the twitter link.
post #27 of 74 Old 11-29-2016, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got this reply from Pioneer yesterday (11-28-16) when I asked about Pandora not working on an SC-1222K.
From: PIONEER, Pioneer Admin [pioneeradmin @ pioneerhomeusa.com]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 10:51 am
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: SC-1222-K receiver

Hello XXXXXXXX,

Pandora has changed their format to play audio through the receiver. Since Pandora directly changed their format this is not an issue with Pioneer electronics. This receiver will not be getting any firmware update to upgrade to play Pandora through this receiver. The only option is to trade your receiver in for a refurbished one at a discounted price.

Thank you
Bryan

post #28 of 74 Old 11-30-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspera View Post
Got this reply from Pioneer yesterday (11-28-16) when I asked about Pandora not working on an SC-1222K.
From: PIONEER, Pioneer Admin [pioneeradmin @ pioneerhomeusa.com]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 10:51 am
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: SC-1222-K receiver

Hello XXXXXXXX,

Pandora has changed their format to play audio through the receiver. Since Pandora directly changed their format this is not an issue with Pioneer electronics. This receiver will not be getting any firmware update to upgrade to play Pandora through this receiver. The only option is to trade your receiver in for a refurbished one at a discounted price.

Thank you
Bryan
So the refurbs work, but the ones in the wild won't. I am and am not surprised. Have you flown this past Pandora? I'd be curious as to what their response is. Guess it's time to junk this POS with the extended warranty and go buy a real AVR. Also might be time to Boycott Pioneer . . .
aspera likes this.
post #29 of 74 Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
So the refurbs work, but the ones in the wild won't. I am and am not surprised. Have you flown this past Pandora? I'd be curious as to what their response is. Guess it's time to junk this POS with the extended warranty and go buy a real AVR. Also might be time to Boycott Pioneer . . .
Pioneer may as well have responded with, "don't ever buy our products again," which is what I would hope everyone reading the above reponse will do. I wonder how many of us will review them on Amazon with this in mind...
post #30 of 74 Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM

Just fired Pioneers reply off to my contact at Pandora for a response. As soon as I get a reply, I'll post it.
aspera likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page