Need some speaker layout help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Need some speaker layout help

My old Onkyo receiver died which means I suddenly have permission to upgrade an audio system that hasn't seen improvement in nearly 10 years. That's the good news. The bad news is I'm not sure how to best deal with an unusual room layout.

I'm buying a new Onkyo TX-RZ800 7.2 receiver for the purpose of being able to pipe HDMI TV signal via Zone 2 through the wall to my outside deck. Until now I uses an old Polk soundbar under the TV with the old receiver. The new receiver has the ability to do both 7.2 surround as well as having Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers, which I know next to nothing about.

Given the extra features on this receiver, I need help with figuring out what sort of speakers to utilize with the new receiver as well as ideas for placement.

Here's the layout of the room:

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Some actual photos would be most helpful as that looks like a very strange/tight layout.

If the chairs must stay where they are I think 3.1 might be the way to go as positioning the rear surrounds would be problematic for almost every location.

If 3.1 is the answer then dipoles might be the way to go as they give a better "surround" effect using less speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Te.../dp/B00422L3C6

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Te...M6R04PFAWV6JT7

If you have enough money, add a sub from Rhythmik, SVS or HSU.

What is your budget by the way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page