2 Channel Amp or AVR for Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2016, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile 2 Channel Amp or AVR for Home Theater

Hey guys! I'm looking for some options for my media room. I don't care about surround sound, but I watch a lot of movies and play video games. I was thinking of just using the inputs on the TV (5 HDMI) and using the optical cable to give sound to an integrated amp to power my KEF 300B's and an SVS SB-2000. I don't want a center channel or anything else.

My question is basically. Am I going to still get great sound quality with the amp for movies and games as I would for music? Would the calibration features of an AVR be better for me even though I'm just running a 2.1 setup? How would movies that are mixed in 5.1 surround sound when coming through a 2.1 setup?

last note, I don't believe in the whole center channel dialogue thing. I've never missed it when I had headphones on, and I've never listened to music and thought I couldn't hear the voice, and I've never listened to an orchestra and thought I needed multiple speakers to hear each instrument. Is there something I'm missing here? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 44

I’d say you’re missing a lot of enjoyment with both movies and video games without surround sound. But if you’ve visited movie theaters, especially to see action flicks, and left going “Meh - surround sound, what’s the big deal?” then I can see why you wouldn’t want it at home. (Actually I’ve seldom seen a movie theater that sounded as good as my own home system, but that’s a discussion for another day.)

You obviously can’t get the immersion of surround sound with a stereo amp, but you can certainly get sound quality (read high-fidelity and accuracy) that’s as good as a standard AVR.

As far as I know, there is no stereo integrated amp with a bass management system that works as well as what’s in a standard 5.1 AVR, and for sure no auto-calibration.

In-room viewing is a whole ’nother world from using headphones. In a room where there is some distance between you and the audio source (which obviously is not an issue with headphones), a center channel helps “anchor” movies dialog to the screen. Without one, people sitting off-center hear primarily the left or right speaker, which is a rather unnatural representation when you can visually see someone see speaking on the screen several feet away from the sound source.

However, as you note a center channel isn’t important for music listening in stereo.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2016, 12:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9765 Post(s)
Liked: 4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightLens View Post
I don't want a center channel or anything else.

last note, I don't believe in the whole center channel dialogue thing. I've never missed it when I had headphones on, .....
Of course not using headphones ... however, when seated some distance from speakers, a center speaker for movies/TV can make a big difference having the voices coming from the center of the display as opposed to left and right of the display.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2016, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked: 4222
Integrated amps with bass management get kinda pricey, what do you have now?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2016, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You already answered your own question in the topic alone. THEATER. there are no theaters with 2 channel sound lol. NEXT. You cemented it with i watch a lot of movies and play video games, seriously gaming alone surround is soooo freaking amazing with its in surround. I mean seriously its just silly to not have surround these days. Even if its some budget receiver at first. Just DO IT.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/EVGA 970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Onkyo 809 40" 4k Seki monitor/Panny AE4000
Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Last edited by hdtv00; 07-22-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
2.1 speaker set , avr , integrated amp , receievers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page