AVS Forum banner

Basic Multi Room Audio

609 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 ·
Good Evening,

I am attempting to setup an inexpensive multi room speaker system in my house and am looking for guidance. Would the below setup work?

-Pyle PFA400U Audio Amplifier

-Pyle 8-Channel Speaker Selector

-Pyle PDIC80 Speakers, 7 pairs

I would connect a Chromecast Audio to the Amplifier using an RCA to 3.5mm cable plugged into the input on the amplifier.

I would also probably use volume control knobs in each zone between the speaker selector and speakers.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to this type of equipment. I appreciate your help and guidance.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You don't need a speaker selector switch if you're using impedance matching volume controls. Will it work, yes. Results? You get what you pay for. That alot of work wiring all that up and cutting all those holes in your home for a $14 speaker...

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

It's a one story house with good attic access so I am used to moving around up there. I have actually installed speakers in the ceiling with volume controls but I am looking to add more zones.

One question. Dont I need the speaker selector? If I am planning on having 7 different zones wont I need the speaker selector given the amplifier I want to purchase? There are only outputs for 2 speaker on the amp.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Perfect, thanks!

To clarify, the Pyle PFA400U Audio Amplifier will be able to power all 7 zones through the Niles VCS Hub 8 or speaker selector (I may chose to go with a speaker selector because I may want to turn some zones off from the central location)? I wasn't sure if this was a sufficient amplifier.

Thanks again

#6 ·

Good Evening,

I am attempting to setup an inexpensive multi room speaker system in my house and am looking for guidance. Would the below setup work?
It’ll probably work, for a little while at least.

Speaker selectors deliver a correct load to the amp when using multiple speakers, but there’s no free lunch: The amplifier’s output is divided out to all the speakers, so they’re only receiving a few watts each.

For starters, the amplifier’s power rating is vague: 100 watts. That’s it. Is that RMS or peak? Total combined output, or per-channel? If it’s combined, we’re down to 50 watts per channel right off the bat. If the rating is peak instead of RMS, it’s likely the amp isn’t producing more than 30-35 clean watts RMS per channel.

But let’s assume best-case, 100 watts per channel RMS. Connecting 7 speakers means each speaker is only going to be seeing 14 watts at most. You can’t get much volume out of a speaker for 14 watts, unless it’s pretty efficient (since Pyle steadfastly refuses to used accepted specification standards for their products, we have no idea what the efficiency rating of your speakers of choice are).

Of course, if my speculation about the Pyle amplifier’s real power output is correct, things only go downhill from here: If it’s really only putting out 35 clean watts per channel, each speaker will only be seeing 5 watts.

In either case, you’ll likely end up cranking up the amp to get the volume you want, and since the amp is loaded down with all those speakers you end up running it wide open, or close to it. Anyone will tell you that running an amplifier to the max for extended periods is a sure way to make it fail. Just as if you tried to take your Honda Civic racing at Daytona or tried to tow an 18-wheeler trailer with it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

#8 · (Edited)

Hard to say, since we have no idea how efficient those speakers are or how loud you intend to play them. I can’t say the last time I saw someone wanting to pile so many speakers (no pun intended) on one amplifier. If you want some headroom – i.e. being able to run the amp so that it’s not maxed out all the time – that could easily require a few hundred watts per channel.

The reason is that the logarithmic nature of sound pressure level works against you when it comes to amplifier power, in that doubling power does not get you double the volume (i.e. SPL) level. Given the 14-watt scenario mentioned before from a 100 watt-per-channel amp, if that wasn’t enough power to get the volume levels you need, doubling the amp’s power would only get you 2-3 dB more level. If that wasn’t enough and you needed say 4-5 dB above what you were getting with the 100-watter, now you’re up to about 400 watts per channel needed to drive all those speakers to the levels you want.

Really, it’s virtually impossible to do multi-room on the cheap, as the best way to do it is to use multichannel amplifiers. Home Theater Direct is probably the most affordable option out there as far as DIY multi-room goes, but even their prices will make you choke if you were hoping to get away with a $50 amp for this.

About the only way to pull of something like this with a single low-powered amp would be to use some super-efficient speakers, on the order of a 95-100 dB efficiency rating.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

#9 ·
What's your budget? I would try and stay away from Pyle if possible. You also need way more power to drive that many speakers.

#10 ·
The Pyle products are the cheapest available..
Their specs are hyped beyond the BS level, and their products are not reliable in the long run.
Check carefully their warranty, the buyer must pay the return shipping charges if the product is defective. And this may exceed the actual product cost. :rolleyes:

IMHO..
I would never waste my labor time installing this low end stuff...
But if the budget is that tight, proceed at your own risk..

Final note: If U do proceed down the Pyle path, I would suggest that U purchase some spares.

Just my $0.02... ;)

#13 ·
I would recommend saving up and getting something like this.

Amp - $600
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/700

Speakers - $90 per pair
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-IW...471472371&sr=1-5&keywords=in+ceiling+speakers

In-Wall Volume Control - $22 per controller
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...472609&sr=1-2&keywords=in+wall+volume+control

You can wire two speakers per channel and still have plenty of juice. The in-wall volume controls will allow you to independently control the volume in each room. You can try and find cheaper components of course, but this is the general stuff that you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.