AVS Forum banner

HELP me choose...PLEASE..

1K views 50 replies 10 participants last post by  Madmax67 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP me choose the best receiver for my speakers

:confused: hi to all...i am very confused as to which receiver to buy for my speaker setup, Denon 7200WA or Pioneer SC-99.

my current receiver is a pioneer vsx-1019ah, the receiver is outdated so its time for an upgrade...i don't know which receiver would sound the best with my speaker set up. i watch movies 95% of the time and the other 5% is devoted to music listening.
the speakers are in my living room and the dimension of my living room is 22'x12' with 9' ceiling. which receiver will bring out the best punch and detailed sound when watching movies and best detailed and separation when listening to 2 channel stereo from my speakers, the only way i listen to music is 2 channel only.
i read and read about both receivers in denon and pioneer forums and i really cant make up my mind...please help..which receiver would you recommend?

my speaker setup BIC ACOUSTECH PLATINUM SERIES...

FRONT L&R PL-980
CENTER PL-28II
SURROUND 4 PL-66
SUB WOOFER 1 PL-200

I am also looking to add a pair of front height speakers maybe another pair of pl-66 for Dolby atmos...

See less See more
#2 ·
:confused: hi to all...i am very confused as to which receiver to buy for my speaker setup, Denon 7200WA or Pioneer SC-99.

my current receiver is a pioneer vsx-1019ah, the receiver is outdated so its time for an upgrade...i don't know which receiver would sound the best with my speaker set up. i watch movies 95% of the time and the other 5% is devoted to music listening.
the speakers are in my living room and the dimension of my living room is 22'x12' with 9' ceiling. which receiver will bring out the best punch and detailed sound when watching movies and best detailed and separation when listening to 2 channel stereo from my speakers, the only way i listen to music is 2 channel only.
i read and read about both receivers in denon and pioneer forums and i really cant make up my mind...please help..which receiver would you recommend?

FRONT L&R PL-980
CENTER PL-28II
SURROUND 4 PL-66
SUB WOOFER 1 PL-200

I am also looking to add a pair of front height speakers maybe another pair of pl-66 for Dolby atmos...
Funny. We've had very similar setups at one time. I have a BIC PL-28ll center channel and PL--66 wide dispersion monopoles for my side surrounds and had dual BIC PL-200's. My mains were Klipsch but they were all horned speakers and sounded great. I've moved to other mains therefore my center isn't timbre matched thus currently unhooked ( horns vs. planar tweeters) but I loved the setup for movies. I'm a Denon guy(my current one is over 10+ years old and still going strong) so that's my recommend. It has Audyssey XT32 room correction and Denon's best amp and power supply of any of their AV receivers.

For music I always disable Audyssey and go pure direct or you can also run Audyssey during setup and skip front left and right mains correction if you prefer. Audyssey isn't known for being the best with music but those are 2 ways around it that help. With movies is where it helps the most especially with setting filters at the lower sub frequencies. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Funny. We've had very similar setups at one time. I have a BIC PL-28ll center channel and PL--66 wide dispersion monopoles for my side surrounds and had dual BIC PL-200's. My mains were Klipsch but they were all horned speakers and sounded great. I've moved to other mains therefore my center isn't timbre matched thus currently unhooked ( horns vs. planar tweeters) but I loved the setup for movies. I'm a Denon guy(my current one is over 10+ years old and still going strong) so that's my recommend. It has Audyssey XT32 room correction and Denon's best amp and power supply of any of their AV receivers.

For music I always disable Audyssey and go pure direct or you can also run Audyssey during setup and skip front left and right mains correction if you prefer. Audyssey isn't known for being the best with music but those are 2 ways around it that help. With movies is where it helps the most especially with setting filters at the lower sub frequencies. Hope this helps.
part of me wants to go with the pioneer because of my pioneer i already own..it sounds excellent..but i like the fact that the denon is 150w but i never own a denon and dont know the sound quality...the confusion...

#5 ·
lol...i am a very serious home theater guy and the sound has to be perfect for me to enjoy the movie..so i have tofeel 100% confident inmy choice so yes it may be a while...i love my bic acoustech speakers the sound is incredible and i dont want to mate my speakers with the wrong receiver...

#11 ·
That's the issue. I have a Denon 2805 from around 2004 so my experience with their newer receivers is either through current owners or reviews or my own product research. Denon's to me are more a pure home theatre receiver than for music( their Marantz line covers the music.)

My BIC's are the center and my wide surrounds( I sold my sub's ) and they sound really good. I loved my PL -28ll center channel. That thing puts out some good clear dialogue. My side surrounds are right beside me due to my small space and multi channel music sounds really good through them as well. Audyssey did a good job correcting for some of my room issues but for music I prefer turning it off and but that's just me. Hard to tell how much the receiver has to do with it or if it's the speakers themselves but (properly followed) the Audyssey setup does work very well in helping most rooms.

#14 ·

FRONT L&R PL-980
CENTER PL-28II
SURROUND 4 PL-66
SUB WOOFER 1 PL-200

Not to muddy the waters any but if this were me I wouldn't buy either one. In that price range I'd be buying either an Anthem MRX-710 or an MRX-720. The room calibration system is superior to both MCACC Pro and XT32. The power supply is more robust as well. I think the Anthem is an all-around superior receiver.

#17 · (Edited)
That's a good recommend. Anthem is a top tier receiver with superior room correction but I'd forget about the MRX-710. No expansion past 7 channels. No Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, only one 4K capable HDMI input.

The MRX-720 would need a 2 channel external amp to power past 5.1.2 or 7.1 but has the more up to date 4K firmware. You'll lose a USB port for anything but firmware updates and no Bluetooth ( has DTS lossless Wi-Fi based streaming instead.) Few other things but great power supply( class AB for the bed channels/class B for the heights) and a great build quality but the star of the show is ARC . Here's a good review of the series from Audioholics.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/anthem-mrx-520-720-1120-receivers-and-avm60-processor

Reactions: mdbrown
#22 ·
That's a good recommend. Anthem is a top tier receiver with superior room correction but I'd forget about the MRX-710. No expansion past 7 channels. No Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, only one 4K capable HDMI input.

The MRX-720 would need a 2 channel external amp to power past 5.1.2 or 7.1 but has the more up to date 4K firmware. You'll lose a USB port for anything but firmware updates and no Bluetooth ( has DTS lossless Wi-Fi based streaming instead.) Few other things but great power supply( class AB for the bed channels/class B for the heights) and a great build quality but the star of the show is ARC . Here's a good review of the series from Audioholics.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/anthem-mrx-520-720-1120-receivers-and-avm60-processor
thanks but no bluetooth was a deal breaker for me...i have wireless stereo bluetooth speakers in my back yard and i would like the option of bluetooth...im using a samsung tablet right now and it has a weak signal from the tablet to the speakers..

#18 ·
Your getting less for that $2499.. I think $800-1000 of the cost if for the ARC system. My buddy has the AVM60.. We ran ARC.. It works good,but I think Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO/ does a good job also. I've used them all. Honestly, if I was buying an AVR and had a 3k budget, I'd try one out. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those receivers tho.

#24 ·
Don't forget the the OP is considering a $3000 AVR while owning a PL-200 "sub"...

Reactions: oneeyeblind
#42 ·
Mixing different makes of sub is not an issue, except perhaps aesthetically or perhaps to appeal to those who don't know when reselling. Get the best sub you can for the money. The Dynamo 1500X or the dual opposed models are decent subs from ML but often overpriced, but if you get a good deal on the 1500X its okay. I'd rather look at Power Sound Audio, Hsu, Rythmik as well and not so much SVS personally.

#49 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.