Amp or older AVR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-15-2016, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Amp or older AVR?

I recently up graded to a new Atmos enabled 9.2 AVR. It is currently set up in a 5.1.4 configuration. In order to go full 7.1.4, I need an additional amp to power either the fronts or the surround back.

I was thinking to power the front, which are the Pioneer EFS73 speakers rated at 140W at 4ohms, I'd keep an eye out for a used AVR like an older SC-25/27 or SC-35/37 for around $400. But, I am completely ignorant to what quality 2 channel amplifiers may be available for the same price range.

Or, I might go cheap and keep the fronts hooked up to my AVR, and power the surround backs with an inexpensive 2 channel AVR for Less than $150. I really don't want to invest a ton of money in the surround backs.

If I decide to power the fronts, Any suggestions on a 2 channel amp at or under $400 that will compliment the capability of the speakers?

TV: Panasonic TC-P50G20
AVR: Pioneer SC-99
Speakers: Pioneer SP-EFS73, SP-EC73, SP-EBS73-LR
Sub: SVS PB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 282
My vote would be to find something to power the fronts. Those are great speakers so find a nice used 2 or 4 channel amp to run the front 3 speakers. Anything will work, check to see if the used amp can do 4Ohms. Try anything... the beauty of going used is that if it does not work for you, you can sell it at no or low lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors