AVS Forum banner

Dolby and DTS Upmixers with TV shows

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  X4100 
#1 ·
I would appreciate any comments about how good or bad the 'atmos' up-mixers are with TV shows that have a good surround sound mix, e.g.

Game of Thrones
Dr Who
etc.

Many thanks

#3 ·
I too find that there's a worthwhile improvement in the overall immersive nature of the broadcast (cable) audio, mostly subtle but sometimes very prominent.

#4 ·
The main thing you have to watch out for (listen for) is those TV stations which transmit "dual mono" audio. When identical sound is provided in both left and right speaker channels, Dolby Surround normally will cause it to "collapse" into just the center speaker.

Reactions: X4100
#5 ·
It really does boil down to the source, with a good 5.1 DD signal (I'm using DirecTV) the upmixer works really well. I've been very patently surprise by well placed sounds in my rears and my overheads.
Ash -vs- Evil Dead is Excellent upmixed, the overheads get a good and surprisingly accurate workout.

#6 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Most of what I get is good 5.1 DD, some local stuff is 2.0 DD, but with that I get a good result with DPL2 on my old but very good Denon (UK version of the upgraded 5800), just trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the 6200 and add some height speakers.

#9 ·
I added the 6200 to my 4520, the 4520 runs only the wides in dts neo x, and the 6200 runs the 7.1.4 array, I have an external amp. Since we mostly watch broadcast tv, most with 5.1, the result is like many others have noted ranges from mild to wow. I do use the Neural X for everything as it seems to bring out the height effects better. It really has improved our viewing enjoyment significantly for broadcast tv over my previous 11.1 dts neo x. Funny the one poster noted how well it works with Ash vs Evil Dead, I've been so entranced with the visuals for that program that I haven't focused on the sound in the height channels, but looking forward to our next viewing to bring it all together, this makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning !

#7 ·
I would appreciate any comments about how good or bad the 'atmos' up-mixers are with TV shows that have a good surround sound mix, e.g.
Germany's leading home theater print magazine audiovision made a rather extensive test recently, comparing the up-mixing qualities of Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro.

Regarding up-mixing stereo video content (not music) their conclusion was crystal clear with the Dolby Upmixer being the clear winner.

When I got my Marantz SR 7009 back in early 2015 I did extensive testing with stereo content (films like Alien, stereo TV series like Star Trek-The Next Generation and Hornblower) and found the improvement in upmixing stereo content by far much more noticable than upmixing multi-channel content.

Simply put: If I watch henceforth programs originally recorded in stereo / Dolby Pro Logic I will exclusively use the Dolby Upmixer because, IMHO, it even sounds better than the remastered multi-channel tracks.

#11 ·
Simply put: If I watch henceforth programs originally recorded in stereo / Dolby Pro Logic I will exclusively use the Dolby Upmixer because, IMHO, it even sounds better than the remastered multi-channel tracks.
To be clear, are you saying that if you have a choice between stereo or 5.1/7.1 soundtracks, you'll choose the stereo on to which to apply DSU?

#10 · (Edited)
For those who use Dynamic EQ, it's helpful to remember that -while Dyn EQ attenuates the surround and LFE channels- it doesn't touch the height channel levels. So when you're watching at lower volume levels, Dyn EQ is "boosting" the surrounds, which can significantly change the balance (and audibility) of the height layer relative to the base channels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.