AVS Forum banner

Which Receiver to Buy?

973 views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  jedi1982 
#1 ·
Am ready to replace my Onkyo TX-NR 5009. Great receiver but need 4K Pass thru which it doesn't have and 3D which it does have. Would also like to have Dolby Atmos and DTS X. Budget is $1500. Will consider refurbish with warranty. Looking to get the best bang for my $1500 bucks. Your suggestions, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

#29 ·
Thanks eljaycanuck for your reply.

#3 ·
Thanks much for the suggestion but I think I want a little more power than the 3300 offers. Also I should I have been more clear on my budget of $1500. That is not $1500 retail but rather $1500 after sale discounts, refurbish price, etc. In other words my $1500 could probably buy me a $2000 retail price receiver if I can find a sale going on somewhere or even buy a $3000 retail receiver for $1500 refurbished. Hope this clears up my budget of $1500 for everyone reading this post. Thank you.

#6 · (Edited)
I second JD's Denon X6200 recommend . That's a great discount on a well featured 2015 receiver one model down from the flagship. The Marantz 6011 is basically the Denon X3300 you declined to look at earlier with a few more Audiophile 2 channel stereo features added in like HDAM pre amp circuitry and multi channel analog inputs for an SACD player without HDMI.

#7 ·
You could get the X6200 and even add to the 3 year original factory warranty straight through Denon adding up to an additional 3 years on top of that and still be under or around your max budget.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/warranty

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help on this, you have been great as usual. I have decided to go with the X6200 with the extended warranty. Haven't heard of any problems with this unit, such as the HDMI board or anything else have you? Thanks again and hope everyone has a wonderful day.

#20 ·
The reports of heated running on the Denon/Marantz is what pushed me to look at Yamaha.

Best Buy Magnolia Design Centers are running a sale on their flagship receiver, the CX-A5100, through Saturday, October 15th. $999 for the receiver, and $999 for the amp as well - MX-A5000.

Only at these locations:

https://www.magnoliaav.com/locations/

Sent you a PM about the price on cxa5100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
If you purchased in January then its still under warranty. Have Denon exchange it for another receiver. You can still buy the x4200 at Amazon, Crutchfield and other sites so that means they're still in the pipeline. I'm pretty confident Denon has access to more x4200's.

Denon will be able to get you a new x4200 in exchange or a refurb if your original receiver was a refurb.

#24 ·
Thanks evoll88 for those comments.

#32 ·
When you buy the thermal controller, it comes with a LCD thermostat display and a turbo fan power adapter (two prong.) This regulates fan speed and temperature with the thermal prob. It costs a little more but I think it's worth it.

In my case - - I didn't have a USB port in the back of my Denon x5200. Plus - - I wanted to see what was going on and to only have the fans engaged when needed. I can understand why folks just run their fans all the time - - that is an option. But I like the variable control and seeing when the fans engage (temperature) and it's also extends fan life. Or at least - - that's what the tech told me!

IMHO - it's a must have for Denon AVR's as they run "hot" compared to other AVR's I've used in the past. As Ron Popeil says, you just "Set it and forget it." I'll be extending my warranty through the Denon website shortly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.