AVS Forum banner

Picking a New AVR

640 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  afrogt 
#1 ·
So my Onkyo TX-SR806 blew up the other night. I am not sure why, nor do I care that much as I have been thinking about upgrading for the last few months. That being said, I do hope to repair it and use it for my (future) smaller bedroom system. Since then I have been going in circles trying to pick a new AVR. I thought I narrowed it down to the following:

Onkyo TX-NR646 - $399 on Amazon
Denon AVR-S720W - $429 on Amazon
Denon AVR-S920W - $579 on Amazon
Yamaha RX-V679 - $420 on Amazon
Yamaha RX-V779 - $450 on Newegg
Yamaha TSR-5810 - $365 at Costco
Sony STRDN1070 - $498 on Amazon
Denon AVR-X2200W - $499 on Amazon

I am totally open to other suggestions, like the Yamaha RX-A850. The prices above point to a lower to mid level budget, but I am not married to ~$500, for the right receiver/functions/reliability I would pay more, but my upper limit is probably about $750-$800. I have to admit, I am hesitant to purchase another Onkyo; while I had a pretty good experience overall, I have read about a lot of problems. I have also heard similar things about Denon, but no first hand experience; I have read that the Yamaha's are battleships and it helps that they have two local service centers in the SF Bay Area while Denon and Onkyo's closets service centers are now in LA.

Other important details: Primarily used for 7.1 home theater applications, a decent amount of time is spent listening to music and some occasional gaming. We also stream lots of video and music. I have one sub and seven Infinity Primus speakers. I don't currently have 4K and no plans to add it in the near future; not sure if I want/need to spend the money to future proof, but I am not against it. Currently I have a HTPC, PS3, PS4, and Amazon Echo (no connectivity with the current, dead, receiver) connected.

I think that is it. I appreciate any and all suggestions and help! Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
If Fry's is sold out or if you don't want a demo model or open box Amazon still has the X4200 in stock for $799 instead. It has Audyssey's best room correction in XT32 with Sub EQ HT and LFC for listening to movies at night using a subwoofer and helps mitigate the sub's low frequency transfer through the walls.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4200W-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B012J1DSOC

Reactions: mcdev
#5 ·
Reactions: mcdev
#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far. I might run down to Fry's to pick up the Denon AVRX4200W, but I am wondering how much better it is than some of the lower priced models. Please forgive my ignorance, but the last time I bought an AVR they didn't seem to have as many bells and whistles and I haven't kept up with the latest technology and improvements.

#11 ·
Afro GT, thanks!

The main thing I struggle with is am I buying too much receiver? Even with my deceased Onkyo, I don't think I used it to its fullest capabilities due to restrictions in our current home (floor plan). I always believe in buying the best you can afford, but at the same time, we plan on moving in the next year and I will hopefully have a room that lends itself to building a proper Atmos setup. In the meantime, I might be better off buying less receiver that can be later used in my bedroom or workshop instead of the home theater, and buy a newer model, with better features, for that application.

I realize this seems like I am asking you to tell me what to do, which I am not. I am just working through my decision making process and if you, or anyone else has some input, it would be helpful.

Back to the topic at hand: Where did you find the Denon AVR-x3300 for $250 under the current price on Amazon? Are you happy with it, or do you wish you had held out for the Denon AVR-x4200 deal?

#12 ·
bought it at Fry's during one of their weekly sales and I'm very happy with it.

If you're moving next year then you want a nicer receiver. Why buy a lesser receiver this year and then buy another after you move?

I started out the x2300 and had it almost 4 weeks. Then the x3300 came on sale right before my 30 day return for the x2300 expired. x3300 has better room EQ with Audyssey XT 32 plus independent HDMI outputs so I can watch 2 different things on different displays.

Right now I'm watching Ohio St vs Wisconsin on one TV and Cubs vs Dodgers on the other. Couldn't do that with the x2300.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.