AVS Forum banner

4k passthrough vs upconvert?

443 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Selden Ball 
#1 ·
I have an SC-72, the only thing connected to it is my HTPC that does 1080p so it's doing an upconvert. my 65JS8500 would display 4k/24fps or something like that.

I want to add a Roku premiere to the mix that's 4k HDR, would it pass through the HDR contents or do I need to upgrade to an HDR AVR?

#2 ·
You could plug the Roku directly into the TV and forward its audio through the TV to the receiver using an optical S/PDIF (TosLink) connection.

HDR requires HDMI v2.0a. 4K UHD requires HDCP v2.2. In other words, you'd need a 2015 or 2016 model receiver. While they last, 2015 models are available at a substantial discount.

#3 ·
Problem is my TV is 20ft from my AVR. I'll have to use ARC for audio but I'm trying to avoid that because I have to jump through hoops everytime I want to play audio through ARC on my TV.

If it's possible to turn on/off ARCH as part of a harmony activity then this would answer my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.