AVS Forum banner

Should I buy Yamaha TSR-7810 (RX-V781) or Something Else?!

16K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  CLINT-THE-GREAT 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I am really on the fence about this receiver. Everything I am reading about it it's a pretty good receiver, what do you guys think?

I have a KS8000, Xbox One S and a 7.1 setup. Will be adding 2 atmos speakers later, but I am told I can just connect my old Yamaha V765 to this and use it as a pre-out/amp, is this true?

Would it have enough wattage to push a pair of these (along w/ the rest of the speakers) - http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/type=tower/model=monitor-9/page=overview

Lastly - does anyone think that any receivers will go on sale tomorrow that are mid-high end? I am looking to spend $450-$750 on an AVR.

Thank you very much for any replies!

#2 ·
If you want 9 channels of processing then only the a2060 will work.
With only 7 channels of processing the model you mentioned will
work. The external amp won't add more processing capability so
be careful. At least 1 brand makes a 9 ch. process 7 ch. amp model
that could use the external amp, but not yamaha.

#3 ·
The Yamaha a2060 is a bit out of my price range right now $1600 :(

So if I got the V781 I would NOT be able to hook my RX-V765BL as a preamp to it and connect my 2 or 4 atmos speakers to the RX-V765BL or any other 2-3 channel amp?

And that is because the V781 can only process up to 7.2 or 5.2.2 - is that correct?

I think I am starting to understand now...

Is there another AVR that is in the $400-$700 price range that can process 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 that has around the same amount of power, 4k and is HDCP 2.2 and HDR compliant?

Thank you for all of your help I really appreciate it!

#4 ·
Generally you can connect many speakers, but process only so many
at any given time. Yamaha and others have their intelligent amp design
that makes it simple to switch between different active speaker scenarios,
but 9 (or 11) channels at once is pricy. IMO any decent atmos layout will
have 4 ceiling speakers for some front/rear panning so that is 5.x.4 (9 total)
right there. Look at the denon x4200 or maybe a similar marantz.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
Right now till the 28th $40 manufactures rebate on the TSR-7810 at Costco.
Oh well I bought mine on the 8th.
Neural X is fantastic for movies, now that I am somewhat dialed in, may muddy up music though.
Good power,clear and detailed perhaps more so than the A1010.
But of course weight about 10 pounds less.

Edit: Amazing, I said to myself what the hell, called customer service, they have a 30
day price guarantee, they gave me the rebate.

Old Mike

#8 ·
Heck yeah, congrats on them offering the rebate man!

I am so torn on this reciever! I am 98% sure I am going to get it, but I have a 7.1 setup now, and what really drew me to upgrade was the invent of Atmos and 4k. I would like to go 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 but with this amp I would only be able to do 5.1.2, is that right?

Do you know of any other AVR's within $150-$200 of this price that can do that and has HDCP 2.2 refurbished or new?

Congrats again man and are you 100% happy with your receiver?

#9 ·
If you can find a Denon x4200 it can do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 with the addition of a 2 channel amp. you can use your old receiver for the two channels. The Denon x4200 has been going for $799 the last several months. Getting scarce now though.

As far a 7.1.4, that's 11 powered channels. You're not gonna find that for $200 more than the TSR-7810. You're going to have to pay over $1000 for a receiver with 11 channels of amplification.

#10 ·
#11 ·
yes that should work. Great receiver. 8 HDMI inputs of HDCP 2.2, Atmos, DTS:X, Audyssey DSX, Dual sub calibration, highest level of Audyssey room calibration, front wide and height channels. 3 room, 3 source output.

It should do everything you need.

#12 ·
Yea, I am happy with the 7810.
If you want to go 5.1.4 the Denon will probably be the cheapest.
I never intended to go 5.1.4 WAF in play here,two holes in the ceiling is all I could get away with.
So the 7810 is good for me.
Old Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.