AVS Forum banner

Sony STR-DH770 Owner's Thread

46K views 114 replies 44 participants last post by  karrank% 
#1 ·
Since I couldnt find a dedicated thread for the STR-DH770 I thought being a first time owner I would make a post about it. I just got mine last Thursday and have been putting it through it's paces over the last few days and I will say that so far I am very very impressed! The menu layout is very simple and setup is a breeze. It supports all the audio and video codec's with 4K/HDR pass through as well as 3D, it's 2.2 compliant and is bluetooth ready which means this is a huge upgrade over my older Sony AVR STR-DH550. What's cool is with a touch of a button you can switch it over to 4K/HDR or you can take an ipod or your smart phone and with the bluetooth enabled you can stream any audio off your ipod, tablet or smart phone directly to your DH770. The audio the AVR put's out is fantastic which I found out while watching San Andreas starring the Rock. Now it doesnt have all the built in streaming app's the high end models have or an internet connection but I didnt need or want those. The Sony STR-DH770 has been what I have been looking for in an AVR and for the price you cant go wrong. For me it's pure 7.2 audio bliss and I am loving it. Now all I need to do is add better speakers and 2 subs and I am all set for a very long time!! In closing. If anyone is looking for a budget receiver that can pretty much do it all then take a look at the Sony STR-DH770. It's offers alot for an affordable price. I highly recommend it!

:D

See less See more
#4 ·
I upgraded from an older Sony receiver also. I always just set the sound field to AFD but can find it on the new one. What would be a similar setting?

Another problem. I've always relied on a DVD copy of The Phantom Menace, which has a THX pink noise test, to test my 5.1 setup. For some reason the right noises aren't coming out of the right speakers. I'm sure I have them wired correctly.

#5 ·
Need help with Audio connection for STR-DH770

Hi I can use your help with this audio connection issue.

Just purchased STR-DH770 as an upgrade from STR-DE935 (17 years old).
Basically a swap of receiver with all components and speakers intact.

Components (DVD/HTPC/Roku/Xbox360) connected directly to back of TV - KDL-55W802A via HDMI. From TV, Optical out to STR-DE935 driving Bose Acoutimass 10.

So far I cannot get STR-DH770 to receive Audio signal from KDL-55W802A via Optical jack.
Got everything to work with Yamaha RX-V381 BL receiver, but returned it because I don't like the sound.

So I know all cables are good including Optical out and I am OK with trying all settings/input to and from components, but so far STR-DH770 has not worked with Optical.

Pressing HOME on RC of STR-DH770 gives me Watch/Listen/SetUp and Speaker settings. Set up is just calibration.
Pressing Amp Menu brings up HDMI CTRL ON/OFF but Audio has no option.

It works with HDMI from HTPC to HDMI in.

What am I missing? or is the optical port not working on this unit?

Thanks very much for your help

#6 ·
Hi I can use your help with this audio connection issue.

Just purchased STR-DH770 as an upgrade from STR-DE935 (17 years old).
Basically a swap of receiver with all components and speakers intact.

Components (DVD/HTPC/Roku/Xbox360) connected directly to back of TV - KDL-55W802A via HDMI. From TV, Optical out to STR-DE935 driving Bose Acoutimass 10.

So far I cannot get STR-DH770 to receive Audio signal from KDL-55W802A via Optical jack.
Got everything to work with Yamaha RX-V381 BL receiver, but returned it because I don't like the sound.

So I know all cables are good including Optical out and I am OK with trying all settings/input to and from components, but so far STR-DH770 has not worked with Optical.

Pressing HOME on RC of STR-DH770 gives me Watch/Listen/SetUp and Speaker settings. Set up is just calibration.
Pressing Amp Menu brings up HDMI CTRL ON/OFF but Audio has no option.

It works with HDMI from HTPC to HDMI in.

What am I missing? or is the optical port not working on this unit?

Thanks very much for your help

Sorry it's taken awhile for me to get back to you. I dont visit the forum's as much as I used to. Anyway. I really dont know what the issue would be due to the fact that I have everything hooked up via HDMI to my DH770 and I have not used the Optical port on my AVR. So far I have had zero issue's with my 770. Sorry I couldnt be of much help.

#8 ·
From Sony's online help guide:

Using other audio input jacks (A. ASSIGN)
You can reassign the OPTICAL/COAXIAL digital audio input jacks to other input if the default settings of the jacks do not correspond to your connected equipment.

E.g. When connecting a DVD player to the OPTICAL TV IN jack, assign the OPTICAL TV IN jack to [BD/DVD].

This operation is only available using the display panel on the front of the receiver.

1. Select the input name you want to assign.
2. Press AMP MENU.
3. Select [] - [A. ASSIGN].
4. Select the jack you want to assign to the input.

Assignable audio input jacks:

OPT:
BD/DVD, SAT/CATV, GAME, SA-CD/CD, VIDEO (*)

COAX:
BD/DVD, SAT/CATV, GAME, SA-CD/CD (*), VIDEO

NONE:
BD/DVD (*), SAT/CATV (*), GAME (*), SA-CD/CD, VIDEO (*)
* Default setting

#9 ·
Just picked up this receiver last night after trying out the soundbar route (total fail) and got everything hooked up late last night. Seems to be running well but I didn't have time to calibrate it so will do that tonight to make sure all my surrounds/sub stuff works. I have a 6.1 set up currently.

Only odd thing I noticed last night was an occasional audio dropout of milliseconds now and them while watching OTA TV. I'm probably going to swap out the generic HDMI cable and see if that helps. My TV is a 4K TCL Roku TV. Not sure if I have all the correct settings in place just yet with both the TV and Sony.

I'm coming from a 5 year old Pioneer 7.1 receiver that wasn't 4K so the Sony is a nice step up for me.

Looking forward to seeing any comments owners here have regarding this receiver.

#11 ·
Sony DH 770 Stadium and Sport Modes

We recently purchased Sony DH-770 7.2 channel receiver, and are using it in our downstairs main room, which has pre-wired speakers for 5.2 surround.

The receiver has various preset modes, including a Stadium and Sports mode. I was hoping to understand whether a specific issue I am noticing is either: A) an issue with the wiring or receiver itself, or B) due to the signal from the broadcaster and its interrelationship with the software within the receiver.

My goal when watching sports is to ensure crowd noise is broadcast in the Left Back and Right Back speakers, while somewhat minimizing the announcers. I would think the two modes (Stadium or Sports) would have accomplished this.

However:

Stadium Mode: When using Stadium mode, all i get is this weird reverberation of the announcer in the back speakers, in additional to some muted crowd noise. I cannot figure out if this is an issue with my receiver, the connections to the speakers, or this is the effect of the Stadium mode Sony was trying to replicate (if so, I am curious why anyone would want to use this feature, but if you use, please enlighten me as to what you enjoy about it).

Sport Mode: This is hit or miss. Most of the time, it fails to broadcast the crowd noise in the rear speakers either at all, or only on a limited basis. Some games seem to utilize this mode, and really replicates the effect I am trying to get, but I cannot discern why.

Does anyone have experience with this receiver and these modes and can provide color on why these two modes fail so often to replicate whatever effect Sony was trying to create?

#14 ·
We recently purchased Sony DH-770 7.2 channel receiver, and are using it in our downstairs main room, which has pre-wired speakers for 5.2 surround.

The receiver has various preset modes, including a Stadium and Sports mode. I was hoping to understand whether a specific issue I am noticing is either: A) an issue with the wiring or receiver itself, or B) due to the signal from the broadcaster and its interrelationship with the software within the receiver.

My goal when watching sports is to ensure crowd noise is broadcast in the Left Back and Right Back speakers, while somewhat minimizing the announcers. I would think the two modes (Stadium or Sports) would have accomplished this.

However:

Stadium Mode: When using Stadium mode, all i get is this weird reverberation of the announcer in the back speakers, in additional to some muted crowd noise. I cannot figure out if this is an issue with my receiver, the connections to the speakers, or this is the effect of the Stadium mode Sony was trying to replicate (if so, I am curious why anyone would want to use this feature, but if you use, please enlighten me as to what you enjoy about it).

Sport Mode: This is hit or miss. Most of the time, it fails to broadcast the crowd noise in the rear speakers either at all, or only on a limited basis. Some games seem to utilize this mode, and really replicates the effect I am trying to get, but I cannot discern why.

Does anyone have experience with this receiver and these modes and can provide color on why these two modes fail so often to replicate whatever effect Sony was trying to create?

Hey Brad.

I use Multi Stereo for the sound your looking for while watching football games ect. That way I get sound from every speaker and its like I'm right there.

#15 ·
Picked up this receiver yesterday for the bedroom. I play a lot of music off USB and am very disappointed at how crappy the USB is implimented. Unless I'm totally doing something wrong, there is no way to change folders or even pick a folder from the remote. I connected a USB drive with several folders and it automatically goes to the last folder on the drive every time. Can't even select any options like shuffle or repeat. There is the SongPal app you can use from your phone via bluetooth, but the lack of options for the receiver and remote is beyond lame.

#16 ·
Well I can play any and all music via bluetooth from my phone to the avr which is what I do. Also it has 4K pass through and it's 7.1 and it can go as far as 9.1 with more speakers added. My avr powers all my Klipsch speakers and Polk Audio sub and it does it very very well for the money. You say the options for the avr and remote is beyond lame. What did you expect for a mid range avr? As for playing music off a USB stick? I have never used that option and dont have any plans to so I cant help you there.

#17 ·
What did I expect? I expected basic functions you find on other entry model receivers. Even the entry model Pioneer vsx-532 allows you to change folders, shuffle and repeat. I've never seen a receiver so limited using usb like this sony. Good info for others to know this prior to purchasing. Wish I had known.

#21 ·
Before purchase I read the Operating Instructions and the online HELP GUIDE. Item [105] is re: Adjusting Settings - Input Settings - Changing the name for each input [NAME IN]. So I went ahead and bought a DH770.
While the 7.2 ch audio works well I can NOT find a way to Change the Input Names. Anybody know HOW to do this ?

I "upgraded" from a far cheaper Yamaha 5.1 ch RX-V383 and even it allows Input Name Changing and also Bluetooth Transmission - great for private listening - which also appears impossible in the DH-770.

#22 ·
You can change the input name. It's right under the INPUT menu, name Input. You can't rename assigned inputs such as bluetooth or USB, however.

Reactions: Spock1234
#24 ·
Got this receiver today mainly as a 4k pass through/switch and am pleasantly surprised with the sound. Only issue so far is getting Dolby digital from the cable box. I've got 'surround sound' selected as output from the Cisco box. I've confirmed the Dolby TrueHD logo lights up during UHD playback but cannot get any Dolby logo to appear during cable viewing. I do have Pure Direct selected to make sure I strip away any processing...

I'm using Pro Logic IIx currently but don't like the voices coming out of the front L/R speakers along with the center channel.

An I missing anything in getting dolby to work with cable?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Generally, I'm pleased with this AVR; I have low expectations, audio-performance-wise, and a small, non-dedicated HT space(smallish living room not entirely isolated from the adjoining kitchen). My only concerns have been the occasional freeze-up that requires a hard reset (disconnecting AC). We have as much ventilation to the unit as possible under the circumstances, yet I think it still--intermittently--heats up enough to stop responding to input switching commands. Hasn't happened in months now, mercifully.

...my $0.02

#28 ·
I'm pretty happy with this receiver, having purchased it 2 weeks ago for cheap. I'm having an issue though, that hopefully someone has an idea on what to do or what terms to look for in solving this issue.

I have a Sony TA-AV501 older receiver that I use as my main stereo. Upon buying a new Sony STR-DH770, I am having issues with the remote signals. Apparently since they're both Sony A/Vs, they use the same IR signals. Whenever I press power on the STR-DH770 remote, both A/Vs turn on. I have a Sony universal remote and every code for Sony receivers ends up either only controlling the old A/V or both of them. I also have a Logitech Harmony remote and after programming the STR-DH770 into it, it works on both A/Vs at the same time when I press a button. Is there anyway to change or block or re-route one of the A/Vs IR signals so that they're separated? I don't normally use both at the same time and would like to be able to control each one independently.

#29 ·
I am looking to get one of these, and have a dumb question. I want to use to it with the Definitive Technology 5.1 speaker system. The instructions for the receiver show a monaural cable to the subwoofer. But the subwoofer has no monaural input, just normal speaker wire +/- terminals. What am I missing? Surely this receiver is compatible with all speaker sets? I note that the SW output on the receiver has two holes.

#32 ·
Picked up the 770 three weeks ago from Best Buy. Coming off a 750 lol ... yeah pays to read. Anyway receiver has been solid no issues at all with it so far. One thing I don't like is how DCAC always tries to put my speakers on large. I have 5 1/2 inch dual drivers on my fronts and center! So I just set them to small and set the cross over back down to 80hz instead of 120hz that the DCAC tries to set it to. The sound is great the imaging seems about right so I'm happy. People using it for 4k 60hz need to make sure they set the hdmi bandwidth to the correct setting.

Cheers!

#34 ·
Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm learning. Another question I have is how to tell what kind of audio you are getting from a particular TV show or channel. I replaced an older, cheapo Sony receiver that was part of a home theater in a box set, but one thing I liked was that the display told you instantly what audio you were getting in TV mode because there was a little icon for each speaker, so only two or all of them would light up so you knew if ti was just stereo or surround. Is there way to know that info with this receiver?

#36 ·
Sony STR-DH770 replaces 24 year old JVC, Subwoofer out question...

Hi,

I just received a new Sony STR-DH770 today. I was replacing a 24 year old JVC receiver. The JVC had a single subwoofer pre out that I used a Y adapter to go into both inputs on my Yamaha subwoofer.

Since my new Sony had 2 pre outs I figured I could run each pre out into each input of the subwoofer. Things weren't sounding right. Also the subwoofer would turn off and if I changed the input from FM to CD and back to Blu ray the sub came back on. So I went back to using just one pre out with the Y adapter. Now it sounds better and hasn't turned off.

I know it is a 7.2 receiver meaning 2 subwoofers but I thought maybe I could get more performance that way. With both pre outs going into the subwoofer was it too much power being input? Any ideas why that would cause issues?

Thank you

#37 ·
Hi,

I just received a new Sony STR-DH770 today. I was replacing a 24 year old JVC receiver. The JVC had a single subwoofer pre out that I used a Y adapter to go into both inputs on my Yamaha subwoofer.

Since my new Sony had 2 pre outs I figured I could run each pre out into each input of the subwoofer. Things weren't sounding right. Also the subwoofer would turn off and if I changed the input from FM to CD and back to Blu ray the sub came back on. So I went back to using just one pre out with the Y adapter. Now it sounds better and hasn't turned off.

I know it is a 7.2 receiver meaning 2 subwoofers but I thought maybe I could get more performance that way. With both pre outs going into the subwoofer was it too much power being input? Any ideas why that would cause issues?

Thank you
I just picked up a DH770 for the bedroom. Great unit.
Those pre-outs are just a audio signal, not a power source. Using two pre-outs in your case isn't likely to improve performance since you have only the one sub. I'd just plug in to one of the outputs and see if that fixes it. If not, maybe you can post the model of your sub.

#39 ·
Hey all, I recently picked up this receiver had a question for anyone who can help, I have Sony 60 inch 4K/HDR TV (KD60X690E) also a PS4 Pro as well as Samsung UHD BD player, in order for me to have HDR quality would I need to plug the PS4 Pro and UHD/BD directly into the TV or can I go through the Receiver? I have the HDMI 2/3 ports on the TV set to "Enhanced" right now with everything plugged into the receiver with a HDMI cable plugged into port 3 on the TV from the receiver, I read that the receiver has "4-in/1-out HDMI connectivity with 4K/60p (4:4:4) pass-through and HDCP 2.2 support" but honestly I'm not 100% sure on what that all means ( sorry ), bascially I just want to know if my set up is correct and I'll get HDR quality with my PS4 Pro and UHD/BD with them running through the receiver rather then them being plugged directly into the TV...hopefully I didn't confuse anyone ( I confused myself a little writing this haha )..any help woudl be greatly appreciated, thanks folks!

#40 ·
From what I understand, you should be able to do this through the receiver as long as you configure the receiver's HDMI "signal format" as "ENHANCED" as described in the manual. I don't have mine hooked up yet (just picked it up today), but it looks like it says:

You can select the signal format so that the receiver can receive high resolution 4K signals. This operation is only available using the display panel on the front of the receiver.
1) Press AMP MENU.
2) Select [] - [SIGNAL FMT.] on the display panel
3) Select the input name you want to apply the setting.
4) Select the setting you want:
- STANDARD: If you do not receive high resolution 4K signals, select [STANDARD].
- ENHANCED: If you want to receive high resolution 4K signals, such as 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10 bit, etc., select [ENHANCED].

#44 ·
Picked this up as a temp unit (sold my Marantz AV8802A, have my Parasound A51/Marantz MM8801 collecting dust waiting for my AV8805).

For the money, it's not bad especially considering the 4k options. However, the setup and menus? Why isn't everything on-screen? Crazy.

#45 ·
No Audio Output

Hey there,

I have a Sony STR-DH770. I have a Sony 65 A1E OLED. I have a Sony UBP-X700 bluray player. I have just now tried to watch my first 4K UHD bluray, Pitch Perfect 3. The Bluray is plugged into the Bluray HDMI input on the receiver which is then plugged into the ARC input of the TV. However, there is no output at all when the audio output is set to "auto" in the bluray settings. Then, if I change the option to PCM it then plays what sounds like background audio only which should be coming out of the surround speakers. The UHD Bluray is format for DTX audio. My sound system setup is only a 5.1 setup. I played with all the settings and could not get any audio to correctly output.

I now have the UHD Bluray player plugged into the HDMI input of the actual TV rather than routing through my audio receiver. It all seems to be correctly working now. The receiver identifies the audio as DTS (3/2.1) and plays the audio through each channel correctly. However, I'd like to know why it will not worked when plugged into the receiver and if there is something I am not settings correctly.

I will note, with my old bluray player I would have to have audio output set to "PCM" for some films or else they would be silent.

I'd just like to know is there something wrong with my receiver?

Thanks for any discussion!

#47 ·
I have the settings as you suggested and it does not output if connected through my receivers HDMI port. However, I have just noticed if I switch the audio track to Espanol 7.1 DTS-HD or Francais 5.1 DTS-Digital Surround it will output in those languages... however the main english DTS X track will not output.

#50 ·
Dear Home Menu, please stop!

So I'm using this unit with my PC and a Samsung 4k (UN49MU8000), and one thing that I have found extremely annoying is that the home menu pops up every time the source is changed, and every time I switch to a video game or video, or if I alt tab out of a game.
The menu of course does not go away on its own, and I have to use the remote's Home button to get the menu to go away.

Is there any way to stop this madness?

#52 ·
So I'm using this unit with my PC and a Samsung 4k (UN49MU8000), and one thing that I have found extremely annoying is that the home menu pops up every time the source is changed, and every time I switch to a video game or video, or if I alt tab out of a game.
The menu of course does not go away on its own, and I have to use the remote's Home button to get the menu to go away.

Is there any way to stop this madness?
Does anyone at least know what I'm talking about? I found this review (attached) that mentions the same thing.

Do you think Sony can look into it if I email them about it? If so, does anyone know the best email of theirs to inquire about something like this?

Attachments