Marantz Pure Direct mode is NOT Pure Direct - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Marantz Pure Direct mode is NOT Pure Direct

I recently purchased a Marantz AV7702mkII to replace an Onkyo PR-SC886. I am quite happy with the function and fidelity for the very good price I paid for it. It is a significant improvement over the Onkyo except for one thing that may be a deal-breaker...

In all Marantz Receivers and Pre/Pros, both Direct and Pure Direct mode do NOT bypass bass management. If the subwoofer setting is set to LFE+Main, then low-end signal from the main speakers is still filtered and routed to the subwoofer(s), even in Pure Direct. This is just wrong, and I do not see how it is even an arguable point or how Marantz engineers could consider a signal with its low end filtered out to subwoofers to be "Pure Direct." There is a filter in the signal path: This is NOT Pure Direct. I could understand leaving bass management in for "Direct" mode, bypassing all other DSP, but not in "Pure Direct." It makes the function useless. If you're putting a filter in the signal path, then shutting off front-panel LED's is a completely ridiculous exercise.

My Onkyo did not function this way, and I am fairly sure that Yamaha and other higher end processors utilize a proper Pure Direct mode with no DSP or filtering.

I called Marantz and spent quite a bit of time on hold confirming this. I asked to be escalated to Tier 2 support, and they say I will get a call in the next 1-2 days.

Anybody else have input on this issue before I return the Marantz and look at Yamaha or Anthem (both more costly but probably better)?

Thank you!

P.S. I posted this as a new thread rather than in the AV7702mkII thread because Marantz told me that this feature is the same across the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Really, just a filter? My guess is that if BM is turned on the whole signal is digitized.
post #3 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
Really, just a filter? My guess is that if BM is turned on the whole signal is digitized.
Well, this I don't know. It's why I asked for Tier 2 support. I should have said, "...at least a filter..."

post #4 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 580
And if the sub is turned to lfe does it still stay active?
post #5 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
And if the sub is turned to lfe does it still stay active?
If you switch the setting to LFE then there is no filtering of main signal to the subwoofer(s) whether Pure Direct is on or off. Direct/Pure Direct does not change the subwoofer setting. This is what makes it a deal-breaker. There is no way to quickly switch between a processed/filtered setting and a true Pure Direct mode to compare what your source is delivering to what the processor is doing.
post #6 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukequazar View Post
If you switch the setting to LFE then there is no filtering of main signal to the subwoofer(s) whether Pure Direct is on or off. Direct/Pure Direct does not change the subwoofer setting. This is what makes it a deal-breaker. There is no way to quickly switch between a processed/filtered setting and a true Pure Direct mode to compare what your source is delivering to what the processor is doing.
So you want the processing sometimes but not all??
post #7 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 800
direct mode works on mine. i use audyssey bypass l/r for music w/subs and pure direct for just 2.0

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
So you want the processing sometimes but not all??
I just want the settings as I choose for all normal listening modes whether stereo, surround, etc. And then when I select Pure Direct, I want all processing and filtering to be bypassed so I hear the source material directly to each speaker, again whether stereo, multichannel, etc. This is what Pure Direct means with every other manufacturer, as far as I know, and I think it's defined by the words "Pure Direct."
post #9 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM

well...

Quote:
I just want the settings as I choose for all normal listening modes whether stereo, surround, etc. And then when I select Pure Direct, I want all processing and filtering to be bypassed so I hear the source material directly to each speaker, again whether stereo, multichannel, etc. This is what Pure Direct means with every other manufacturer, as far as I know, and I think it's defined by the words "Pure Direct."
Pure Direct is already a kind of double-speak. If Marantz offered what you want they'd call it Analog Direct.
post #10 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Pure Direct for my Marantz 7008 does not send any signal to my sub.
I use pure direct 90% of the time for my music.
My Fronts are set to large if that makes any difference.
It shouldn't right?
In pure direct they are set to large automatically right?
Using LFE jack on Sub.

Music, more music.
post #11 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 379 Post(s)
Quoted: 15080 Post(s)
Liked: 7277
Quote:
I recently purchased a Marantz AV7702mkII to replace an Onkyo PR-SC886. I am quite happy with the function and fidelity for the very good price I paid for it. It is a significant improvement over the Onkyo except for one thing that may be a deal-breaker...

In all Marantz Receivers and Pre/Pros, both Direct and Pure Direct mode do NOT bypass bass management. If the subwoofer setting is set to LFE+Main, then low-end signal from the main speakers is still filtered and routed to the subwoofer(s), even in Pure Direct. This is just wrong, and I do not see how it is even an arguable point or how Marantz engineers could consider a signal with its low end filtered out to subwoofers to be "Pure Direct." There is a filter in the signal path: This is NOT Pure Direct. I could understand leaving bass management in for "Direct" mode, bypassing all other DSP, but not in "Pure Direct." It makes the function useless. If you're putting a filter in the signal path, then shutting off front-panel LED's is a completely ridiculous exercise.

My Onkyo did not function this way, and I am fairly sure that Yamaha and other higher end processors utilize a proper Pure Direct mode with no DSP or filtering.

I called Marantz and spent quite a bit of time on hold confirming this. I asked to be escalated to Tier 2 support, and they say I will get a call in the next 1-2 days.

Anybody else have input on this issue before I return the Marantz and look at Yamaha or Anthem (both more costly but probably better)?

Thank you!

P.S. I posted this as a new thread rather than in the AV7702mkII thread because Marantz told me that this feature is the same across the line.

Correct. Although as LFE+Main is not the default but rather must be selected by you, then simply don't select it.
Fattykidd likes this.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As far as I know, all D&M receivers and pre/pros do this and it is considered normal. Direct/Pure Direct mode does indeed insure that there is nothing in the signal path. There is no processing or bass management of any kind. All that the LFE + Main setting does is send a "copy" of the signal to the subwoofer. The subwoofer is sent a signal which is crossed over at the frequency you had previously set in your speaker setup menu. If you change this setting to LFE then the signal is NOT copied to the subwoofer. In either case, there is no change in the signal that your main speakers are receiving. They will continue to receive a full range, unprocessed signal.

By using the LFE+Main setting while in Direct mode you will create so-called "double bass". This is because the main speakers are getting a full range signal while your subs are active. Not a desirable situation so leave the setting at LFE.

If you're trying to use Direct mode to get a fully unprocessed signal for high quality stereo listening, please remember that all inputs on modern receivers and pre/pros are re-digitized, including hdmi and all of the analog (RCA + XLR) inputs. If you have an expensive DAC or analog rig you should keep this in mind. The only exception are the 7.1 multi-channel RCA inputs. These are left in the analog domain and are only effected by the volume control. I would use these for an external DAC or vinyl playback

Hope this helps.
post #13 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Correct. Although as LFE+Main is not the default but rather must be selected by you, then simply don't select it.
No, that's not the point. You need to be able to have your setup as you want it for normal listening, and then bypass all processing with Pure Direct. This is simply wrong.
post #14 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdkiller View Post
As far as I know, all D&M receivers and pre/pros do this and it is considered normal. Direct/Pure Direct mode does indeed insure that there is nothing in the signal path. There is no processing or bass management of any kind. All that the LFE + Main setting does is send a "copy" of the signal to the subwoofer. The subwoofer is sent a signal which is crossed over at the frequency you had previously set in your speaker setup menu. If you change this setting to LFE then the signal is NOT copied to the subwoofer. In either case, there is no change in the signal that your main speakers are receiving. They will continue to receive a full range, unprocessed signal.

By using the LFE+Main setting while in Direct mode you will create so-called "double bass". This is because the main speakers are getting a full range signal while your subs are active. Not a desirable situation so leave the setting at LFE.

If you're trying to use Direct mode to get a fully unprocessed signal for high quality stereo listening, please remember that all inputs on modern receivers and pre/pros are re-digitized, including hdmi and all of the analog (RCA + XLR) inputs. If you have an expensive DAC or analog rig you should keep this in mind. The only exception are the 7.1 multi-channel RCA inputs. These are left in the analog domain and are only effected by the volume control. I would use these for an external DAC or vinyl playback

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the long reply. It does help, in a way. It helps me to know that the engineers at Marantz/Denon simply do not understand bass management or what happens in the studios where these recordings are made and mastered. I guess I better initiate the return and start shopping.
post #15 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

so why is the setting LFE/Main so important to use?
Fattykidd likes this.

Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #16 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the long reply. It does help, in a way. It helps me to know that the engineers at Marantz/Denon simply do not understand bass management or what happens in the studios where these recordings are made and mastered. I guess I better initiate the return and start shopping.
Before you return your Marantz, please remember that the other pre/pros you mentioned like Yamaha and Anthem are the same. When all of the processing is turned off they do exactly what the Marantz does.

In all cases (including Marantz) the inputs are re-digitized, sent through the internal DAC and amplified. That's it. No processing or bass management.

Think of the LFE+Main as a "feature" that the Marantz has that the others don't. If you don't like it you don't have to use it.
akbaree, Fattykidd and Madmax67 like this.
post #17 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Before you return your Marantz, please remember that the other pre/pros you mentioned like Yamaha and Anthem are the same. When all of the processing is turned off they do exactly what the Marantz does.

In all cases (including Marantz) the inputs are re-digitized, sent through the internal DAC and amplified. That's it. No processing or bass management.

Think of the LFE+Main as a "feature" that the Marantz has that the others don't. If you don't like it you don't have to use it.
It's not how my Onkyo works, and I don't think it's how the others work. On my Onkyo, when in "Stereo" mode, signal from the mains is crossed over with the subs. When I hit "Pure Direct," the full signal--not crossed over--goes to the mains. Likewise if I listen to a multichannel SACD through the Onkyo, in the normal multichannel modes, signal from all the mains would be crossed over to the subs, then if I hit Pure Direct, I could listen to the discrete multichannel mix directly to each speaker with no processing or crossover.

I did not go looking for this problem. It was apparent the very first time that I hit Pure Direct on the Marantz that it was not functioning correctly as it did with my Onkyo for the past several years of listening.
post #18 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
It's not how my Onkyo works, and I don't think it's how the others work. On my Onkyo, when in "Stereo" mode, signal from the mains is crossed over with the subs. When I hit "Pure Direct," the full signal--not crossed over--goes to the mains. Likewise if I listen to a multichannel SACD through the Onkyo, in the normal multichannel modes, signal from all the mains would be crossed over to the subs, then if I hit Pure Direct, I could listen to the discrete multichannel mix directly to each speaker with no processing or crossover.

I did not go looking for this problem. It was apparent the very first time that I hit Pure Direct on the Marantz that it was not functioning correctly as it did with my Onkyo for the past several years of listening.
Your Marantz works exactly the same way as your description of the Onkyo. Just use LFE instead of LFE+Main.
post #19 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Did the onkyo have lfe+main?
post #20 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your Marantz works exactly the same way as your description of the Onkyo. Just use LFE instead of LFE+Main.
No, I want the subwoofers working on the low end of the main program in all the normal listening modes and then not in Pure Direct. This is the way it should be. "Pure Direct" is not pure or direct, as long as signal other than the original discrete mastered signals are sent to speakers.
post #21 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

not gonna argue...guess Im just clueless on how to listen to music.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #22 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
not gonna argue...guess Im just clueless on how to listen to music.
I don't want to argue either. I just want to be able to listen with LFE+Main going to my subwoofers but have that bypassed along with all other routing, DSP, and filtering when I hit Pure Direct.
post #23 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
No, I want the subwoofers working on the low end of the main program in all the normal listening modes and then not in Pure Direct. This is the way it should be. "Pure Direct" is not pure or direct, as long as signal other than the original discrete mastered signals are sent to speakers.
The subs will work on all signals below the crossover when set to lfe in all other modes. when you set to lfe and pure direct they will shut off.

Turn off lfe+mains.
post #24 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 2743
Quote:
So a 2.0 analog signal passed to a modern AVR via RCA is processed using the AVR's dac? Disappointing, if true.
post #25 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LFE/LFE+MAIN confusion

post #26 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I agree with everyone in this thread, turn off LFE + Main. As far as I'm concerned, AVR manufacturers shouldn't even have that option, it should always be set to LFE, with a 120hz max frequency, since the 0.1 channel is mastered to 120hz max.
nukequazar and Madmax67 like this.
post #27 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Ok, now I see what's going on. Seems that you guys know this gear better than Marantz tech support does (and certainly better than I do, since this is my first Marantz piece!). I thought it must be a setting/nomenclature issue, but after talking to Marantz, it seemed all bad. Now I see that they have this weird nomenclature where LFE+Main is only needed if you want to duplicate the low end, as in "double-bass." Yes, "Not a desirable situation." With Onkyo, that setting is actually called DoubleBass, making it clear what's going on. Here, "LFE+Main" is confusing because with crossed over mains, I definitely want that crossed over signal going to the subs, so I turned it on. And then this was confirmed by Marantz tech support. I have now set it back to "LFE" and reconfigured the speakers with the crossover I want, and I will check it all out tonight. Hopefully this will work, and I can keep this beast, as I rather like it, especially at the price-point.

Thank you, all!!!
torii and Madmax67 like this.
post #28 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 05:58 PM

No, that's not generally true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
So a 2.0 analog signal passed to a modern AVR via RCA is processed using the AVR's dac? Disappointing, if true.

But what the OP is ignoring is that his multichannel SACD is re-processed to PCM by the Marantz except through the analog inputs and Pure Direct with no bass management. And he can likely only implement BM in the player with PCM as well. As far as I know only Sony ever implemented BM on DSD in players.
bmcn likes this.
post #29 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

my oppo 103 in pure direct sends signals via pcm with hdmi...havent tried using rca's or anything else. My eagles blu ray sounds really good however it is processed.

post #30 of 58 Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
But what the OP is ignoring is that his multichannel SACD is re-processed to PCM by the Marantz except through the analog inputs and Pure Direct with no bass management. And he can likely only implement BM in the player with PCM as well. As far as I know only Sony ever implemented BM on DSD in players.
The problem was that Marantz puts "LFE+Main" in a menu called "Bass." This lead me to believe that this was the main bass management switch. Now I see that this is not the case but this is just this an undesirable DoubleBass option. I have turned it off and reconfigured. This is a poorly named, poorly documented feature in an otherwise decent pre/pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page