ARC and CEC stoped working Onkyo TX-NR626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ARC and CEC stoped working Onkyo TX-NR626

Ok first off I have a first gen smart TV and a PS4 connected to a Onkyo TX-NR626
Everything was working fine.

A couple weeks ago I noticed the PS4 was not showing up on my TV inputs menu (CEC function) Not a big deal as it happened before and was fixed by unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in so I ignored it.

Yesterday I wanted to watch the game on TV and found the ARC is not working either. (I don't watch much TV)

I changed HDMI cables, reset the tv, reset the receiver, and I cannot get this to work at all anymore. (after resetting I made sure to turn CEC back on)

Did something break on my receiver??? The auto power off works from my tv to the receiver and the receiver detects the tv but they are obviously not working right.

I hear so much about the HDMI audio dying on these but the thing works perfectly fine other than CEC and ARC which are connected to each other. This is starting to annoy me because the input on the receiver does not auto switch anymore when I turn on my PS4.

Any Ideas? Is my receiver busted?

Everyone knows 1+1=10

Last edited by naps1saps; 01-15-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 196
CEC is just very unreliable , I would just disable it on all components and buy a universal remote. It doesn't need to be expensive if you have a simple setup. PS4 may be an issue and require a more expensive remote but its still cheaper than a new AVR that may or may not work.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Home Theater, Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 10TB DroboFS NAS
Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
same issues with Onkyo 626

Hi,

since a week I have the same issue.

My setup:
Onkyo 626 with Chromecast, FireTV, Xbox One, cable receiver connected to it (all via HDMI)
Samsung SUHD TV (JS8090) conncted to monitor out on TV's ARC (HDMI4)

Here the symptoms:
- receiver no longer turns on TV
- TV no longer finds receiver as anyconnect+ device
- "ARC" indicator no longer lights up on receiver
- it is still possible to channel audio from TV to receiver, but it has to be done manually (TV: tools --> speaker --> receiver)
- TV still turns off receiver

Quite annoying. I did the same procedure: factory reset receiver - no help. Factory reset TV - no help. As you have the same issue and the only common thing is the Onkyo receiver, it seems to be the problem. It worked for me for 2-3 years quite nicely.

Please skip generic posts with CEC/HDMI not working reliably, as apparently in two setups it was working nicely for some time. Also, just bridging the audio is not the solution. In my case, using chromecast for spotify turns on TV & receiver, which is not covered by this work around.

Any new insights?

Old 01-23-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12104 Post(s)
Liked: 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by atg9905 View Post
Hi,

since a week I have the same issue.

My setup:
Onkyo 626 with Chromecast, FireTV, Xbox One, cable receiver connected to it (all via HDMI)
Samsung SUHD TV (JS8090) conncted to monitor out on TV's ARC (HDMI4)

Here the symptoms:
- receiver no longer turns on TV
- TV no longer finds receiver as anyconnect+ device
- "ARC" indicator no longer lights up on receiver
- it is still possible to channel audio from TV to receiver, but it has to be done manually (TV: tools --> speaker --> receiver)
- TV still turns off receiver

Quite annoying. I did the same procedure: factory reset receiver - no help. Factory reset TV - no help. As you have the same issue and the only common thing is the Onkyo receiver, it seems to be the problem. It worked for me for 2-3 years quite nicely.

Please skip generic posts with CEC/HDMI not working reliably, as apparently in two setups it was working nicely for some time. Also, just bridging the audio is not the solution. In my case, using chromecast for spotify turns on TV & receiver, which is not covered by this work around.

Any new insights?

And would have continued without issue if indeed "reliable."

Try powering off and unplugging the power cords to all devices for at least 10 minutes. Then try again.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
And would have continued without issue if indeed "reliable."

Try powering off and unplugging the power cords to all devices for at least 10 minutes. Then try again.
Wow. I am humbled and repent :-)

This indeed made my combination work perfectly again. Amazing, considering that I wanted to installed old firmware versions on my TV...

Thanks a lot, you really made my day!

An now it's time to integrate echo dot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arc , cec , Onkyo , tx-nr626