AVS Forum banner

Denon X4300h vs Marantz SR6011 (x3300 clone)

45K views 81 replies 40 participants last post by  Stephen Hopkins 
#1 ·
I'd like help deciding between the two for my particular setup. The Denon X4300 has Zone 3, custom 2CH settings, and 32bit DAC which the Marantz does not. The difference in price is only $100 and the Denon no longer has the HEOS deal. I am 90% movies and 10% music but really only care for its performance with movies. I need 11.2 channel processing pre-out and the on-board amps don't matter too much to me as they will be used for the atmos and rears. I've read varying opinions on whether the better DACs are worth it but since I will never be using the extra zones I am looking at paying $100 more for 32bit DAC.

Can anyone give input on any other possible advantages of the Denon over the Marantz for the $100 in a 7.2.4/7.2.2 setup? Better pre-outs? Sound/video processing? Software? Audyssey differences... DTS? Also does anyone know of any deals on these as I may just wait until summer to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

#2 ·
They will sound the same. They have the same version of Audyssey. Both will do ATMOS and DTS:x. You'll never hear the difference between the DACs. I've got a 4300 and think it's great running 7.2.4. I'm using the 4300 as a Pre/Pro. For deals, check with JDSmoothie here on AVS or Safe and Sound audio. There also might be a good deal on Accessories for Less - though only a 1 year warranty.

#3 ·
The X4300H also includes the following:

(1) A HEOS module which will allow using the HEOS iOS/Android app to stream currently a dozen music services to the AVR as well as allowing the streaming of 2CH sources connected to the AVR to HEOS speakers set up around the home.
(2) 2 line front panel display which can display either input/output icons
(3) Upgradeable to Auro 3D ($199USD)
(4) 2nd main zone HDMI monitor output (eg. for PJ)
(5) 2nd 12v trigger

#19 ·
I'm trying to understand what HEOS module does. With an app installed on my iPad or iPhone, I can stream music to the AVR. All I need is the 4300, the HEOS app, and an IOS device, correct? Are the streaming services subscription based? Is Amazon Prime one of them? Is there a list of the services?

Thank you.

#6 ·
Marantz has been said to sound better with music because of the HDAM circuitry. There's actually threads here about the Marantz sounding better. My Marantz is really old so it doesn't have this circuitry.

Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) offers improved dynamic range and detail while reducing noise

#17 ·
Best Buy sale 6011

Just a heads up, the 6011 is on sale at Best Buy for 1199$. That was enough for me to pull the trigger over the 4300H. I have had both and so far I like the Marantz more. Just feels smoother with the UI (thou they are very close to the same). I did order a 20 dollar fan thou to make sure it doesn't over heat. The 6011 also has two fans on it but it doesn't click on till its stupid hot.

If you plan to use Heos a lot then I would look at the 4300H but if not I would go with the Marantz. Only at the 300$ sale. If you really want to save money you can find an open box version from best buy and get another 150$ off and it still comes with the full warranty.

#18 ·
Congrats Kumate. That IS a sweet deal. Along with my recent AVR purchase, I decided to upgrade the cooling fans I had been using based on threads here. AC Infinity makes some really nice units that integrate well with the receiver. It's nice to be able to see the AVR temp in the front display. Even when working it a bit, 93F is the highest I have seen the temps. Here is the link:
http://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans/

edit: I did not plan on HEOS but now that I have it I find I'm taking advantage of it way more than I ever thought I would.

John

#22 ·
I had to delay the upgrade as I'm away from the theater until June. However my decision was to get whichever one I could get the best deal on and if equal or close I would go for the Denon over the Marantz. I think the Denon is just a better buy for me especially since I'm already used to the Denon interface. If you are not using an external amp I would go for the Denon.

#23 ·
I am still undecided but need to buy something sooner, some people in this forum compare 6011 to 3300h instead of 4300, is that real true as price and channels are more similar for 6011 and 4300, Is there any benefit of getting 6011 over 4300 for 70% movies and 30% music?

#24 ·
I am still undecided but need to buy something sooner, some people in this forum compare 6011 to 3300h instead of 4300, is that real true as price and channels are more similar for 6011 and 4300, Is there any benefit of getting 6011 over 4300 for 70% movies and 30% music?
Because the SR6011 is the sister model (feature wise) to the X3300W. The X4300H is a higher level model more comparable to the SR7011.

#38 ·
As @jsil mentioned, if you have a Fry's nearby, sign up for their discount codes and from time to time the X4300H shows up at a SIGNIFICANT discount. Not sure if it's ok to talk numbers or not, but if you remember what the older X4200 was getting clearanced out at, that is what you can get the X4300H for. That's a no brainer between the two imho. So even if the Fry's is an hour or 2 away, for me, that is worth the trip for the savings.

#32 ·
The Marantz says 110watts per Channel, the 4300h says 125watts?

Which actually has more muscle....I'd be using all 9 channels in my theater.

Thanks

#55 ·
latest price

All,
I have Klipsch RP-280F and RP-440C (yes only 3.0 for now) and I will be using it for music 70% of the time. I am getting brand new Denon AVR X3300W for $600 or Marantz SR 6011 for $1000. Is Marantz worth paying for more considering I will be using it mostly for music with Klipsch speakers? Really appreciate your input in this.

#57 ·
All,
I have Klipsch RP-280F and RP-440C (yes only 3.0 for now) and I will be using it for music 70% of the time. I am getting brand new Denon AVR X3300W for $600 or Marantz SR 6011 for $1000. Is Marantz worth paying for more considering I will be using it mostly for music with Klipsch speakers? Really appreciate your input in this.
For mostly music listening, the SR6011 will be the better choice.

#56 ·
I would stick to the 3300. That would still give you the option to add 2-4 more speakers later, same features, and $200-$400 less. If you're willing to spend more than $599 then for $799 you can get the x4300h when it drops in price or even the Yamaha 1060 for around the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#69 ·
Dumb question:
I am using Marantz SR 6011 with Klipsch RP-280F (pair) and RP-450C (so 3.0). I tried with and without Audyssey. No matter what I do, the bass is really weak in this setup (even after turning Audyssey off and manual turning the low frequency to the highest level possible in Marantz). The lowest frequency setting in Marantz EQ is only 63 Hz. The sound is very clear and natural, which I like. However the bass is very weak.
Is this normal? I thought that RP-280F has two woofers so I might be okay without a subwoofer. Or am I being unrealistic and the only possible way to get good bass is with a subwoofer? Is it possible that either the receiver or speaker has a defect? I doubt since overall sound is very clear, all I am missing is the bass.
Appreciate your help and input. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.