The "Official" Yamaha RX-A860, RX-A760 and RX-A660 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By AirCeej
  • 1 Post By eatman3
  • 1 Post By egreene1974
  • 1 Post By variableresults

Old 01-28-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The "Official" Yamaha RX-A860, RX-A760 and RX-A660 AVENTAGE AVR Thread

These receivers definitely deserve their own thread, so here we go!

Yamaha USA RX-A'60 Release Announcement

USA Product Pages (incl. manuals, firmware, guides, etc.)

hollandjw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I agree on the need for this thread as I have the 860 and previously looked at the 1060/2060/3060 thread. Two Questions:
1. How or what settings does one need to enable that allows full use of lower range of subwoofer out? I've read that the default is min 30hz and I have a sub that goes down to 15hz.
2. If you use two subs is there anything special one needs to do or consider prior to letting YPAO work its magic?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandjw View Post
I agree on the need for this thread as I have the 860 and previously looked at the 1060/2060/3060 thread. Two Questions:
1. How or what settings does one need to enable that allows full use of lower range of subwoofer out? I've read that the default is min 30hz and I have a sub that goes down to 15hz.
2. If you use two subs is there anything special one needs to do or consider prior to letting YPAO work its magic?

The Yamaha will play lower than 30hz, however YPAO can only apply equalization down to 31hz. Also I would run YPAO two three times, one with each sub so you can match the levels, then the last time with both on.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12597 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandjw View Post
1. As noted in the post above, the AVR can process below 30Hz, rather simply the YPAO mic doesn't go below 30Hz, so you would need to purchase a better quality mic as well as use a software program to create a curve below 30Hz (eg. REW with one of the two suggested mics for use on the REW page linked below).

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

2. The process noted in the post above is your best option, as the dual Sub level/delay feature is only offered on the A2060 and A3060.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bluetooth transmit

i just ordered the rx-a660 yesterday. I could only afford the entry model but I am very excited. mainly it was the only home theater receiver that offered bluetooth transmit built in around $500. i am a tech newbee and any basic advice is greatly appreciated. thanks
Lozin likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatman3 View Post
i just ordered the rx-a660 yesterday. I could only afford the entry model but I am very excited. mainly it was the only home theater receiver that offered bluetooth transmit built in around $500. i am a tech newbee and any basic advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

You will love it.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Agreed especially if it performs close to the '860; and among other things the ability to manually adjust the EQ is a bonus.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCeej View Post
Agreed especially if it performs close to the '860; and among other things the ability to manually adjust the EQ is a bonus.
The a660 has a much smaller power supply and doesn't have near the
same manual eq skills as the a760 and above.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
The a660 has a much smaller power supply and doesn't have near the
same manual eq skills as the a760 and above.
Thus contributing factors to the A660's price point, with the manual EQ among it's obvious bonuses.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just bought an RX-A760, hooked it up to 2x Definitive Technologies BP6B floor towers, a Definitive Technology C/L/R 2002 for the center and a Yamaha sub. Connected a PS4 Pro and a DirectTV Genie box (collectively "Components") using new high-speed HDMI cables. I did the YPAO setup 3 times.

The sound quality from both Components is terrible. Live TV from the Genie box and DVDs/games/Netflix from the PS4 sound suppressed. I have to crank the volume to -25 to make dialog audible, but any music or sound effects are overwhelmingly loud. I have tried adjusting all of the different sound settings, but to no avail. I even reset back to factory settings and setup all over again. No soup for me.

Using Bluetooth, I streamed Spotify to the receiver to see if the same thing happened with a different input source, but the sound was incredible. At -45 the sound was enough to comfortably fill my living-room and at 25 the windows were shaking (sounded awesome, btw).

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas for setting changes? Thanks.
MeanMachine likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rx-a860?

Hello All,

Any Atmos / DTSX users here? What are your level settings for all speakers?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Hello All,

Any Atmos / DTSX users here? What are your level settings for all speakers?
I am. Using NHT Dolby Atmos up firing speakers. When I ran the YPAO it had set them to +4.5

@6month how is your setup and what did you set your Atmos speakers to?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question HDCP Audio Dropouts

Has anyone encountered audio dropouts with the 760BL? I have an LG B6 and I'm getting a 1 second dropout every now and again via ARC back to my 760. I also had this issue with an RX-V581 a few weeks ago (which caused me to return it) and didn't have this problem with a Denon X1300. Seems like it's probably a software issue? I'm on the latest Yamaha firmware and opened a support ticket to see if they can help. Already tried a half dozen different HDMI cables just to be safe.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Posts deleted and any follow up post quoting the original.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by variableresults View Post
Has anyone encountered audio dropouts with the 760BL? I have an LG B6 and I'm getting a 1 second dropout every now and again via ARC back to my 760. I also had this issue with an RX-V581 a few weeks ago (which caused me to return it) and didn't have this problem with a Denon X1300. Seems like it's probably a software issue? I'm on the latest Yamaha firmware and opened a support ticket to see if they can help. Already tried a half dozen different HDMI cables just to be safe.
I have similar problem on my Samsung TV when watching Netflix. Optical is not affected. I think it's the TV.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
I had problems with Netflix particularly on my Samsung ES6150 TV. There are threads about this all over the HT forums. Not clear if it's the Samsung TV, or the app running in their Smart Apps. What I know is that the Netflix stream would be Dolby Digital +, but my receiver would only get Dolby Digital from the TV. Same over optical SPDIF. But if I selected a 2-channel stereo soundtrack, no problems. Somewhere in the transcoding was messed up.

I tried streaming the exact same movie, same scenes on my Panasonic BD player (HDMI connection) and Chromecast (HDMI again) and no such problems. And the audio stream to the AVR was Dolby Digital +.

I gave in and started using the Chromecast, and later an Apple TV 4gen. Haven't touched the Samsung TV smart apps in over a year. My next tv won't have those bells and whistles.

So, in your case, what content are you watching, what's the TV supposed to be supplying, and what does your 760 indicate it's receiving?

Did my answer help you? Please like my post if did; I can use the cosmic brownie points. :)
New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. They will save you time when you ask the forum community a question….
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I had problems with Netflix particularly on my Samsung ES6150 TV. There are threads about this all over the HT forums. Not clear if it's the Samsung TV, or the app running in their Smart Apps. What I know is that the Netflix stream would be Dolby Digital +, but my receiver would only get Dolby Digital from the TV. Same over optical SPDIF. But if I selected a 2-channel stereo soundtrack, no problems. Somewhere in the transcoding was messed up.

I tried streaming the exact same movie, same scenes on my Panasonic BD player (HDMI connection) and Chromecast (HDMI again) and no such problems. And the audio stream to the AVR was Dolby Digital +.

I gave in and started using the Chromecast, and later an Apple TV 4gen. Haven't touched the Samsung TV smart apps in over a year. My next tv won't have those bells and whistles.

So, in your case, what content are you watching, what's the TV supposed to be supplying, and what does your 760 indicate it's receiving?
My B6 is sending DD+ and it appears that's what's being received by the 760, both over ARC and Optical (the latter which is issue-free and is what I'm using currently). From a streaming point of view I would prefer to use the B6's smart features, especially given there are no streaming devices currently (that I'm aware of) that support Dolby Vision in Netflix.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsong View Post
I have similar problem on my Samsung TV when watching Netflix. Optical is not affected. I think it's the TV.
Quick update, I called LG trying to remove the TV as the source of the issue, but they didn't really accept any responsibility. I did convince them to send the issue on to their engineering department. Not going to hold my breath, though.
ChromeJob likes this.
Old Today, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 12597 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
My B6 is sending DD+ and it appears that's what's being received by the 760, both over ARC and Optical (the latter which is issue-free and is what I'm using currently). From a streaming point of view I would prefer to use the B6's smart features, especially given there are no streaming devices currently (that I'm aware of) that support Dolby Vision in Netflix.
Optical cannot pass DD+, rather only DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement