AVS Forum banner

Lyngdorf MP-50 | 12 Channel AV Processor; 9.1.6 with matrixed Wides and Top Middles

408K views 3K replies 175 participants last post by  Whoracle 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/mp-50

From a press Release:

Lyngdorf Audio Moves Boldly into Multi-Channel with Unveiling of theMP-50 Surround Sound Processor
Skive, Denmark – February 6, 2017 – Lyngdorf Audio is proud to move boldly into multi-channel with the unveiling of the new MP-50 surround sound processor. Shown for the first time at Integrated Systems Europe (ISE), the MP-50 offers cutting-edge cinema performance in a sleek package designed for anything from small media rooms to large dedicated theaters with the latest immersive sound formats and digital cinema servers. Built on the core technologies for which Lyngdorf Audio is known, MP-50 features RoomPerfect™ room correction, bass management, and seamless level alignment in addition to a custom voicing tool and built-in media player, allowing clients the utmost in flexibility and performance.“We see a need in the market for products which can offer the ultimate in experience without the ultimate price tag. The MP-50 delivers the utmost in performance while staying true to the founding mission of Lyngdorf Audio: to develop bold ideas that go beyond the ordinary through technology with a purpose.”

Flemming Smith, Sales Director, Lyngdorf Audio
In contrast to its sleek and minimalistic external design, the MP-50 offers a lengthy list of impressive features. Feature highlights include a state-of-the-art HDMI stage with 4K and 3D video support and HDCP 2.2; support for Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®; 16 balanced XLR outputs for power amplifiers; RoomPerfect™ with a voicing tool capable of 32 different EQs to cater to personal preferences; fully digital signal processing; built-in streaming audio services; and an optional DCI-compliant 16-channel digital AES/EBU input for integration with digital cinema servers.Continuing the Danish tradition of excellence in audio engineering, the MP-50 is designed and manufactured entirely in-house at the factory headquarters in Skive, Denmark. By keeping all engineering in-house, Lyngdorf Audio is able to harness years of R&D efforts, which have resulted in notable advances in technology such as the first fully digital amplifier, the Millennium amplifier, as well as one of the largest patent filings in audio history for RoomPerfect™. These core technologies are seen today in Lyngdorf’s award-winning TDAI-2170 integrated amplifier as well as its sister company, Steinway Lyngdorf.The MP-50 comes to market in Spring 2017 with a MSRP price point of $9,999. Product presentations are available at ISE, February 7-10, at Booth 10-P115 and at noon each day in demo room E108.

See less See more
#2 ·
List price is $10K. For my stereo system, I own the Lyngdorf TDAI stereo system. The Absolute Sound gave the TDAI a GoldenEar Award http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170/awards-and-review/the-absolute-sound-1 . Sonically, it's absolutely amazing @$4800 with the HDMI switching. I've also heard their Steinway Lyngdorf system several times and it is a top tier system and priced accordingly. This new MP-50 is heavily related to that prepro. Additionally, I've been to Denmark twice and in Peter Lyngdorf's home once. Peter's stereo system is one of the best I've ever heard in my life. I've must have heard over 20,000 systems over the years. Peter's system still registers as one of the top 10 rooms/systems I've had the privilege to listen to. So with that said, I am excited to hear their new prepro. So much so, I put in an order for a few. :)

Attachments

#3 ·
Fantastic looking product!

Is the owner's manual available? Want to see how certain things work. Like does the Voicing Tool allow the filter frequencies to be changed? And can it output a 9.2.4 format? Stuff like that.

#31 ·
Fantastic looking product! Is the owner's manual available? Want to see how certain things work. Like does the Voicing Tool allow the filter frequencies to be changed? And can it output a 9.2.4 format? Stuff like that.
Spoke with Lyngdorf the answer is nope 7.4.4 only so a no go for me :(

The ANTHEM AV-M60 is fantastic and a third of the price ;)

#34 ·
We're hoping to receive delivery of our shiny new Lyngdorf MP-50 within the week so we thought we'd join the party ;)

We saw the processor at ISE. Fantastic looking and it's going to sound great. Still awaiting confirmation on how it can be configured as missed the presentations. We will have our demo unit beginning of March.
Nice to bump into you on here Rich ;) Don't be shy posting your findings on here and we'll do the same... What with already being incurably addicted to RoomPerfect room correction we have high hopes and expectations regarding the Lyngdorf MP-50, so let's hope it lives up to expectations! :)

Spoke with Lyngdorf the answer is nope 7.4.4 only so a no go for me :(

The ANTHEM AV-M60 is fantastic and a third of the price ;)
Just curious, are you wanting/needing the 9 channels for the width channels? :)

#5 ·
WOW! It looks like a work of art. The configuration options look amazing. Even though they're not necessarily in the same price category, I imagine quite a few folks looking for the upcoming Denon 8803 / 8804 will be giving this strong consideration.

Reactions: Marc Alexander
#7 · (Edited)
*Very* interesting.

However

"a home cinema processor that comes to walk on Trinnov 's flatbeds [presumable s/b "shoes] since it comes to position itself with its 16 channel management, its Acoustic correction, and its management of the complete multi-channel audio formats just under the Trinnov Altitude 32 , the benchmark, and the rival of the future Trinnov Altitude 16, also announced on the ISE 2017.

... is capable of handling 12 main channels and 4 auxiliary channels for subwoofers thanks to its 16 balanced XLR outputs for Power amps."

The last sentence belies the first since that makes it at least 3 ch short of the Altitude 16 in satellite channels.

Perfect for me, though, as 11.x is all my room can handle.

"...support for Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D®..."

Are any of those included in MSRP?

Does anyone know if RoomPerfect is capable of fully integrating subs and mains in an automated process, which to my knowledge no RC does (except perhaps JBL's BassQ)?

By that I mean, if you have multiple subs, the RC will adjust their levels and phase to give smooth response accounting for when they're all playing, and set the relative phase between subs and sats for optimum response in the XO region.

#11 ·
Does anyone know if RoomPerfect is capable of fully integrating subs and mains in an automated process, which to my knowledge no RC does (except perhaps JBL's BassQ)?

By that I mean, if you have multiple subs, the RC will adjust their levels and phase to give smooth response accounting for when they're all playing, and set the relative phase between subs and sats for optimum response in the XO region.
I have a dozen or more questions. I'll ask Lyngdorf to see what they say and report back.

#8 ·
Might pull the rug for Datasat and Trinnov, but for all of us that thinks the big Denon Receiver/Marantz prepro are very expensive - this is out of the question. If the pricetag would have been one third of it - they would have had big trouble keeping production in phase with sales, though...

One can still regard it with dreamy eyes, though....

#15 ·
Any updates? Impressions?

#18 · (Edited)
Thank you for the response.
Any bugs or quirks that you've ran into?

I have no doubt that it will sound great with HT, but I'm also interested in the MP-50's 2CH music performance.
I have recently bought an Aurender A10 music server and love it's internal DAC so I have my Classe SSP800 set to stereo bypass. I'm wondering if the MP-50's DACs along with it's room correction would better the A10's. I realize that it won't decode MQA but I'm not 100% sold on the SQ of MQA. It's a bit of a hit or miss.
I may replace my Classe soon. Obviously, I'd like to take advantage of the MP-50's room correction, speaker crossover,..etc, but it wouldn't make sense to "bypass" a new 10K processor.

I'd appreciate any other feedbacks.

#138 ·
The MP-50 will fully integrate subs into a system. Lyngdorf advocate corner loading subs. It will not however time align. This has to be done manually.

How did I miss that?!

So in fact the answer to this part of my question "... and set the relative phase between subs and sats for optimum response in the XO region..." is NOT affirmative, since relative phase is the same as time alignment.

Sheesh.

Does anyone have any idea so many RC systems neglect this?

Seems to me that the phase of both mains and subs is measured and available, so why isn't used?

So you can't really say and/or imply that our motives are biased, because... well, they aren't :)

No offense intended, but someone who claims no bias is insufficiently informed about human psychology.

#21 · (Edited)
I reckon the MP-50 will have a lot in common with the McIntosh MX160, but sports up to date HDMI, etc. The GUI is exactly the same as the latest MX160 version software GUI, which is what I found when I owned both an MX150 and S. Lyngdorf P100. With a unit like this, if it was available at the time, I'd have skipped the P200 and all that proprietary nonsense of their sister Steinway brand that's ended losing me a small fortune and configured a system that sounded just as good but cost probably a quarter of the S.L. in upgraded immersive layout(that I never in the end was able to install before moving). Meanwhile, as much as I love the MX160 in my main HT room, the MP-50 would be my pick if I was upgrading now instead of early last year from the 8802 (having had enough of Audyssey RC again etc). The TDAI-2170 is great unit as well, I've got one for sale still after moving out of the same place I had the P100 based S.L. system. I firmly believe the MP-50 should be a good seller and seems to be at a good price point to boot.

#24 ·
Thought I had posted this (must have placed in a different forum), so forgive doubling up.

I received an email from Overture A/V, Wilmington DE that they were to receive the first (for sale) MP-50s on Sat. April 1 (for real). I didn't get there, but this starts the ball rolling. Will try to get there next week and try to compare with both S-L and MX-160 (and 8802a in different system).

Reactions: OzHDHT
#26 ·
Let us know how you go with that, in particular the MX-160 - MP-50 comparison. I'm expecting to see fully functional 18GBPS HDMI chipset in the MP-50 and reliable performance in passthrough function -something that's been dogging us MX-160 owners for quite a while now with UHD HDR sources. Other than that I'd expect very close performance between the MX-160 and MP-50. I've been impressed in the past with Lyndorfs gear (other than the timing debacle I had owning some the more OTT Steinway gear) in owning the TDAI-2170 unit. The 8802A, having owned one as well, I wouldn't hold much in that, other than a reference point for a step down to Audyssey RC from Room Perfect. I was so happy to say goodbye to mine when I got the 160 :).

Reactions: daimler2015
#25 ·
Didn't notice that Steve H started the "official" posting. Awaiting mine.

#27 ·
Glad I had decided to hold off on the MX-160 (only because I needed 4k HDR) and was very concerned. How can pass through not work (except for HDMI handshake delays)? A second Marantz is holding me over fine for awhile and hence is my point of reference (and they are a dealer, but use Anthem mostly for the RC/they also just received the Paradigm Persona Be, which I hope to hear, my reference being Revel Salon IIs for nearly 10 years now! A Be mid-range is intriguing).

I am unsure if they will perform RP RC in a demo, unless they have a formal room set up (which they might and they have RP expertise). Been trying to find out what chipset MP-50 has, perhaps Steve H could reveal more as he learns about more details. If RP performed, there will likely be little difference in multi-channel. Overture is not so big on multichannel immersive audio as they primarily are 2-channel.

Therefore, I would put some listening emphasis on 2-channel as that is more revealing for comparisons (at least to me and their expertise). The Marantz is my current point of reference and I want to see a step up without RC, if the comparisons are done that way. (Audyssey no comment...OK for movies with L/R bypass and why bother for 2-channel, if your speakers are any good...it sets the cutoff frequency way too high to be able to actually perform any RC for the lower frequencies that really need it!).

Disappointed that only 12-channels are processed (was hoping for both Auro an Atmos)...but I'd rather have the musicality...and save compared to S-L.

Reactions: OzHDHT
#29 · (Edited)
If it wasn't for the MP-50, I would have said don't hold off on the MX-160 unless you were somehow so totally reliant on 4K HDR HDMI passthrough for the limited sources that require it currently as SDR 4K passthrough and below are faultless. I can't even recall the number of times in the last 8 years or so I've had to use work arounds with processors and receivers for HDMI passthrough issues. If I'd had stayed waiting each time I'd have missed major improvements in formats, decoders, or in more recent times processing and room correction. Passthrough is not a simple process to get working at the best of times. In the MX-160 case, McIntosh refused to equip the 160 with 18GBPS chips while Marantz for example had already included them in the 8802A well before the 160 came out. If they had I would have expected the unit to performance like others which has no issues passing 4K HDR 50/60Hz. The Salon II's are a great speaker for using in the evaluation, they trump my little 'ol Studio2's.

Be a real waste of time for dealer not to have RP setup in a multichannel unit, may as well demo the TDAI-2170 in processor mode for 2ch performance. I think Peter Lyngdorf himself would be pretty annoyed if he heard one of the first US dealers to have his new multichannel unit was demoing it without taking 45 minutes to do calibration run.. The MP-50 and MX-160 could well sound very similar as richmagnus reported. However, I wouldn't forgo the opportunity to listen to both in multichannel just because they share the same RC software. I can bet there are more than a few hardware differences between the two completely unrelated manufacturers just quietly. These differences may in fact influence the sonic signatures of each unit.

If your going to put so much emphasis on straight 2ch performance, this is where I'd say you're going to be splitting hairs between the MP-50 and MX-160. You'd be likely to here a fair bit more between the Marantz and the other two with the jump up in DAC quality. You also get the benefit of higher resolution capability when using RP vs Audyssey -another reason to also test RC 2ch. I'm pretty sure Lyngdorf wouldn't have bothered with including RP in the 2ch TDAI-2170 if they didn't see a real world benefit. Have you got a mixed room set up for listening currently or a dedicated HT environment? If you're mixed room then I can see the point of 2ch a bit more if you're doing a fair amount of music listening as a result. But if you've got a dedicated HT space, its a bit harder to fathom too greater desire for 2ch listening. I know when I went from 15 years of a mixed use are with multichannel in it to a dedicated room, my 2ch listening came to a pretty abrupt halt as it was no longer a conducive environment to sit way at the other end of the house in the HT.

As Richmagnus also says, you're pretty well set for either Atmos or Auro. Although you really need to pick which one you favor for speaker placement as they both conflict in their optimum layouts ie VoG speaker, front height vs middle.

Reactions: richmagnus
#28 ·
The MP-50 can handle both Auro and Atmos. Although Auro through an Atmos configuration or Atmos through an Auro configuration.

Running RP will bring huge benefits to multichannel.

The MP-50 and MX160 sound very similar. I've calibrated both, but in different rooms. Not sure on the MP-50 chipset. Not certain that the HDMI chipset is 18GBPS either.

No issue with pass through on any material so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Oz,
You make some excellent points and I will attempt to get dedicated time for a proper evaluation by notifying ahead of time and directly asking. I don't know if they have any rooms with Atmos or not, but 7.x should be fine enough. I will try to get them to use the room with the Sony 675 projector (which I own), but that is limited by its' 10.2 Gbps chip (although some claim it might have 18Gbps), but with 4k HDR.

Have both a dedicated Theater and a mixed (family room). I had evolved to multi-channel listening years ago, but when I listen in 2-channel and the soundstage is both deep and the sound wraps around me, I wonder why I did so. This happened frequently with Sonus Faber Amati Homage, and to a lesser extent the Revels (but it still does). This happened when my other amps did not power up and I thought I was listening to multi-channel, but was not! I do listen loud and often find myself walking to all the speakers to amaze myself. This also happens on some stereo SACDs, which only play back in 2-channel.

Anyway, upgrading HDMIs has always been an issue and just technology in general, so we don't let that bother us right? The big guys do it quickly, and that is the game they play on us as told to me as a youngster. I didn't want to believe him when all the card cage, future proof models came out, but began to when everyone I've owned was sold for the next future proof designs.

I had read that both LS-10 and MX-160 would need power supply upgrades to accommodate the HDMI upgrades. Thought the LS-10 would have occurred by now (QI 2017 was mentioned), but the MX-160 would be a couple of years (probably when a replacement occurs, which wasn't even in the works). As you say, hopefully 18 Gbps chips, but I am not sure of that either, and would want confirmation somehow.

When I get in serious listening modes, I want the LS-50/MX-160 class (being retired, no longer in the S-L/DataSat/Levinson amp arena, but I hang onto the ones' I still have), but in everyday living the Marantz works perfectly fine. I always emphasized speakers first and glad I bought those Revels in 2007 or 2008 for the Be tweeter and Ti midrange.

#32 ·
Normandia, yeah without a doubt, to purely compare the sound of the two units in multichannel mode, 7.1 will certainly suffice. If your were worried about passthrough to your Sony VW675, as a ex-Sony owner myself, I'd be more worried about it's chipset limitation (That claim isn't true unfortunately) than the stress of the MX-160's chipset matching limitations. You'd actually have had very little chance of any issues with your setup. There's a couple of brands of hardware not playing nice at the moment with the 160, but something that they'll get right in firmware shortly. I'd say you'd have even less chance of any issues with the MP-50 to point again it probably matters very little whilst you have the VW675.

Ok so you have two distinct listening environments. I had in a similar situation in my recently sold city adjacent condo. Living room TDAI-2170 with Burmester floor standers and a basement media room with the frighteningly (for what it was) SL system. I always have appreciated the sound of capable 2ch speakers for music. But in the same token I never questioned the place for multichannel systems for the full enjoyment of discrete encoded material. This was certain something that came to the fore back when I first started adding speakers around my living room floorstanders of the early 90's to do 5.1 in a fairly low key way. Prior and after that evolution I still have listened to all of the L&R speakers in various systems with view to how well they image on their own. The delineation I'd make for myself nowadays is that I'm far less likely to enjoy the 2ch capabilities in my HT as opposed to the previous 20+ years of mixed use listening environments so my listening attitude towards new home theater equipment tends to take that into account.

You hit the nail on the head re HDMI, you have a similarly pragmatic view towards it as I do. The beginning of some of the modular design stuff for me was the Meridian G series processors, which started to get some limited add-on capabilities. When their true modular design 8 series chassis came out, I wasn't ready to buy into them and frankly was glad I didn't at the time. As you say, they didn't in the end provide that 'future proof' scenario at all. The big guys indeed provided a path and respite for me to move update the feature ladder while waiting for the next capable high end unit to come along. I spent my fair time with pretty ordinary sounding Integra stuff back around 2010!

Regarding power supply upgrades, I can't speak for the LS-10 product, however that sounds quite unlikely to me that the MX-160 in its sizeable chassis have a less capable power supply than many of the other processors out there that feature 18GBPS chipsets. If anything with the progression of technology, we could quite well be looking at entirely new processors in two years time. I know if I look back, can barely go two years in the last 10 where I've held on to the same processor. The move from MX-150 to 8802 to MX-160 probably averaged out a 18 month each at the most from memory (the 8802 to MX-160 was just on a year).

When you say serious listening modes I assume you're talking about both 2ch and multi-channel. I agree for casual listening to pure 2ch, the Marantz on its own is quite capable. Things ramp up fast though when you start even casually comparing multichannel sound tracks -where the real fun begins so to speak :D I concur with you, no point in overdoing your system if your main speakers aren't up to scratch. I know of at least one McIntosh owner who I kind of scratch my head at in their speaker pairing (talking mid range smallish Klipsch type gear).

#33 ·
subscribed.

Currently using an AVM60 (which is remarkable at its pricepoint), but have been waiting on a prepro that is more geared to sound quality. Had a MX150 prior, and the AVM60 comes close, but still not the same as the mcintosh.

#44 · (Edited)
"Official" (Brand New) Lyngdorf MP-50, 16 Channel Preamp Processor.

There are 5 x MP-50's being shipped to the UK. Myself and Arrow AV have had 2 on pre order since the beginning of the year and have both fed recommendations to Lyngdorf and helped Beta test the MP-50.

I don't know of any delays although it isn't a mass produced unit.

#47 ·
I just got word that I am getting my 1st small batch of 4 units in a week or less. The next batch is JUNE (which is sold out). July production is being booked up as we speak. Knowing how good my Lyngdorf stereo processor sounds, I am going to go out on a limb and order some more. In a perfect world, I would have more control on my stereo piece which the prepro has. I use a theater bypass loop with an 8802A (because stereo sounds better with the Lyngdorf). To my HOPE is to replace a stereo http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170 and the 8802A and get the best of bost worlds. Time will tell.... To date, I have not heard the MP-50. I was planning on going out to LA to borrow the National Sales Managers demo and do a shootout. But he has been so busy flying around specifically related to the MP-50 and I have been swamped too.

But soon, I'll have a toy in house ready to to compare and contrast.

#49 · (Edited)
I just got word that I am getting my 1st small batch of 4 units in a week or less. The next batch is JUNE (which is sold out). July production is being booked up as we speak. Knowing how good my Lyngdorf stereo processor sounds, I am going to go out on a limb and order some more. In a perfect world, I would have more control on my stereo piece which the prepro has. I use a theater bypass loop with an 8802A (because stereo sounds better with the Lyngdorf). To my HOPE is to replace a stereo http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170 and the 8802A and get the best of bost worlds. Time will tell.... To date, I have not heard the MP-50. I was planning on going out to LA to borrow the National Sales Managers demo and do a shootout. But he has been so busy flying around specifically related to the MP-50 and I have been swamped too.

But soon, I'll have a toy in house ready to to compare and contrast.
We have a feeling that you are going to like it... You will be getting a more than a decent amount of the performance of its 'big brother' the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 where everyone will be benefiting from quite a lot of features and technology trickle-down from that particular processor ;)

If you set it up for Auro - and want the voice of god.. What setup is the max possible with it then?
VOG will use 1 audio channel, so you have another 10 audio channels (plus subwoofers) that you can allocate however you so wish, in whatever configuration you like. In other words, there are no limitations with respect to speaker configurations other than the fact you are limited to a total of 11 discrete audio channels plus subwoofers.

Incidentally, the Steinway Lyngdorf P200 will do almost double this, namely 20 discrete audio channels plus subwoofers, but in our opinion (**ducks for cover**) you are almost certainly never going to need or want to use all of these. Although it should be noted that you can't using the Steinway P200 with other or existing 'Non-Steinway' equipment, in that it is part of a complete audio system, where it's 'all or nothing' :)

#53 ·
The problem I see with this thread is there are way too many dealers pushing the product vs real owners. Pushing the hype and all, in addition an selling a MP50 at $10,000 when the margin are 60 points + talk about making some serious money!

#59 · (Edited)
"Official" (Brand New) Lyngdorf MP-50, 16 Channel Preamp Processor.

There are no real owners as yet unfortunately.

My client will be the first "real" owner in the U.K.

I will also be a real owner of sorts as I will be running the MP-50 in my personal system. I could run any processor I wanted, but I have settled on the MP-50 for its stunning performance.

I also supply Trinnov, Acurus as well as Anthem and Arcam. I have no real need to say this is the best processor available in order to sell as many as I can.

60 points? Definitely not sir!!

Once owner feedback starts appearing then we will get a more balanced take on the MP-50. The two U.K dealers on here, which includes myself, hand pick only the best products available.

We are not going to sell any to you guys in the U.S so not looking for business.

We are only here to let you all know that we consider this as a stunning product.

#56 ·
Does Room Perfect do correction in the time domain as well? For a $10k processor that only does 11 channels + subs, I would hope it does.
As far I know it does. For all the RC systems I've heard to date, in every unit I've heard it in, 4 now, it's excelled. Sounds a lot better than the known problematic implementation of Dirac Live in the Arcam AVR series or PC iteration of DL I've experimented with in the past -can't speak for Datasat or Trinnov's implementations as I don't have local supplier.

#61 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.