• 1 Post By A9X-308

post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Passive subwoofer on Yamaha

Hi,
I'am a new member to the forum (and to audio in general really), but i have a question regarding my amp
- Currently I am running a Yamaha RS202D. It is rated at 100W and 8 Ohms. It has 2 output channels and at the moment I am only running one channel with 6 ohm Dali Pico speakers. I really love my speakers and I think the bass is good.
Anyway- I want to buy a subwoofer in the future but I would like to buy a good one and so will save up for a while until I can afford one. My question is this, on Richer sounds they sell a PIONEER
SSLW500 sub for only £5 and it is rated at 4 ohms. Most of the reviews are positive saying you can't go wrong for the price- obviously it wont be great but I often spend more than that on my lunch so i wont regret spending the cash. My question then is will my amp be able to safely run both my speakers and this passive sub? as in total that will be 10 ohms where the amp specifies 16 ohms (8 min for each channel).
It may also be relevent that I rarely go above 60 on my amp as I find this loud enough for music.
Thanks in advance- any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I believe that the RS202D isn't intended to be run that way. When you run both sets of outputs at the same time (A+B mode), they recommend a speaker impedance of 16 ohms minimum. I can't swear that you'd damage your amp if you connected it as you plan, but it strikes me as a bad idea.

I'm no audiophile, but I'd also want some sort of crossover so that you weren't sending all frequencies to the sub. (Better yet is a crossover that sends none of the lows to the main speakers.)

If you read through the reviews at richersounds, you'll see some that paired the sub with an inexpensive amp. I'm not clear on how the others drove it.

I'm trying to think of a polite way of writing "don't be so damned cheap", but I'm failing at that.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
The Yamaha is not designed to run with a sub, so it has no bass management/xovers nor pre outs to drive an active sub. As has been mentioned, do not run a passive sub in parallel with one channel.

For UKP5 you're not going to get much worthwhile in the way of a sub, and will likely make the system sound worse. I'd save some money, sell your existing speakers and buy something with the bass response you desire.
ChromeJob likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
The Yamaha is not designed to run with a sub, so it has no bass management/xovers nor pre outs to drive an active sub. As has been mentioned, do not run a passive sub in parallel with one channel.

For UKP5 you're not going to get much worthwhile in the way of a sub, and will likely make the system sound worse. I'd save some money, sell your existing speakers and buy something with the bass response you desire.
Hi, thats quite surprising to hear, as I have never come across anyone who has suggested an active sub wouldn't work. Aparently one can just wire it to the speaker outputs if there is no dedicated sub output...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggodelafroggo View Post
Hi, thats quite surprising to hear, as I have never come across anyone who has suggested an active sub wouldn't work. Aparently one can just wire it to the speaker outputs if there is no dedicated sub output...
An example of the setup for an active sub (from Hsu Research):

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/...K3Quickset.pdf

This isn't to recommend that sub, although I own one (older model) and like it.

The sub can accept high-level signals (speaker connections). In that case:

--It combines the signals from two channels into one.

--It low-pass filters the signal so that the sub isn't reproducing the highs.

That's far from the ideal usage of a sub, because the main speakers are still being sent the lows, but it's better than blithely passing all of the signal into the sub.

I'm not trying to push an audiophile agenda. Aside from the electrical issues, what you want to do is not worthwhile, in my opinion. (£5 is amazingly cheap, though.)
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 02-07-2017 at 09:05 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Resist the temptation of a £5 sub, it will likely sound like pants and disappoint you in the long run.

An active sub like the VTF-1 (I own a VTF-2, and love it) will take the stereo speaker outs from your AVR (receiver), play the low sounds based on the crossover setting, and the power your main speakers. If you like the way this sounds, you can start thinking about a newer AVR with dedicated sub LFE OUT and bass crossover in the AVR itself.

But for now it looks like you should be shopping for an active (powered) sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

thanks

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. I think i'll pass on the £5 sub and save up for a good active sub and just feed it from the other channel on my amp- as im certainly no audiophile im sure i'll be perfectly happy with that! I may look into a diy sub, although they seem quite intimidating and my carpentry skills / equipment are very basic...
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggodelafroggo View Post
Aparently one can just wire it to the speaker outputs if there is no dedicated sub output...
Not if you want it to work properly.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-10-2017, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Not if you want it to work properly.
So how would I get it to work properly? Is there any device to filter the high level output. Or maybe I should get a sub which has high level input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
passive subwoofer , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page