Sub $300 recover suggestions. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90
  • 1 Post By Ortizer

post #1 of 13 Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sub $300 recover suggestions.

Good day guys,

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a new Receiver.

I just recently picked up a 65" Samsung 8000 Tv and figured it may be time to replace my receiver.

I plan to use the Samsung to do the HDMI switching so don't need many.
My current receiver is Harmon Karden AVR 146. I would like to keep in under $300 but I do want something that I will notice a difference, otherwise, it's not worth the upgrade, I would also like it to support CEC.

This is geared more towards movies and tv shows than music.

I have to look when I get home but it's been a while, Speakers are Polkaudio Bookshelf speakers, center and base box for 5.1

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 332
May as well keep what you have till it dies. Electronics make the least amount of difference - speakers the most. With that budget you probably won't find too many speakers that would be worth upgrading to either.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - Acurus A100x3 & Outlaw 7075 - Salk Song Towers - Custom Selah Audio Center - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42
***GO SEAHAWKS ***
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfraley View Post
Good day guys,

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a new Receiver.

I just recently picked up a 65" Samsung 8000 Tv and figured it may be time to replace my receiver.

I plan to use the Samsung to do the HDMI switching so don't need many.
My current receiver is Harmon Karden AVR 146. I would like to keep in under $300 but I do want something that I will notice a difference, otherwise, it's not worth the upgrade, I would also like it to support CEC.

This is geared more towards movies and tv shows than music.

I have to look when I get home but it's been a while, Speakers are Polkaudio Bookshelf speakers, center and base box for 5.1

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated
Depending on the size of the room, I have had great success in small to medium sized rooms with the Marantz slimline receivers. They are small, compact, inexpensive and sound fantastic for what they are. I have picked them up used for under $250 in like-new condition on Audiogon and other sites and can't believe what you get for he money with them. For watching TV and movies they are solid.

Monitor Audio Gold 100 Piano Black, Monitor Audio CP-IW460X, Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC, SVS-SB2000 X 2, Samsung UN55F9000 4K LED, Oppo BDP-93, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Marantz NR1504 - Living Room Zone 1
Speakers and TV TBD- Zone 2 Outdoor
KEF XQ20, KEF XQ50C Center, KEF Ci200QR, NAD M15Hd2, NAD M25, Sony Playstation 3, Samsung DLP TV - (future projector) - Dedicated Theater in Process

post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just ordered an onkyo tx-nr656 off accessories4less.com for 300 + shipping today. They had the TX-NR555 and a couple Denons for a little less as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys, seems a bit mixed

Do you guys think it's worth an upgrade, will there be a noticeable difference in movies.

My Harmon Karden AVR 146 was great for its time but is old now. Are there any features I would benefit more in newer receivers like Atmos or other decoding options?

As for speakers, I'm not planning to upgrade them anytime soon, I know my center is a PolkAudio CS10 the other's are the bookshelf of the same class. I am in a big room prob 15'x10' and sit about 12' from the tv but volume is perfect with the current setup don't think I need more and not even pumping things totally up.

I just want the best possible sound from my movies, be able to decode all the new relevant stuff since I'm going 4k hdr now without going backward in sound quality.

Is it worth the upgrade? Should I just wait?
What features should I be looking at on current receivers?
What do you suggest in the <= $300 mark

Thanks
post #6 of 13 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 1293
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, seems a bit mixed

Do you guys think it's worth an upgrade, will there be a noticeable difference in movies.

My Harmon Karden AVR 146 was great for its time but is old now. Are there any features I would benefit more in newer receivers like Atmos or other decoding options?

As for speakers, I'm not planning to upgrade them anytime soon, I know my center is a PolkAudio CS10 the other's are the bookshelf of the same class. I am in a big room prob 15'x10' and sit about 12' from the tv but volume is perfect with the current setup don't think I need more and not even pumping things totally up.

I just want the best possible sound from my movies, be able to decode all the new relevant stuff since I'm going 4k hdr now without going backward in sound quality.

Is it worth the upgrade? Should I just wait?
What features should I be looking at on current receivers?
What do you suggest in the <= $300 mark

Thanks
Unless you add atmos speakers to your setup you don't need an AVR that decodes it.

Also, it seems you're either using ARC from your TV or the optical out from your disc player or whatever source you're using- in which case both only supports dolby digital/DTS and not the uncompressed DTS Master or Dolby True HD.

In order to get the newest audio codecs you need to run HDMI into a new AVR and use that as a means of controlling your inputs/outputs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #7 of 13 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Here's what is available in your budget range. Those are all refurbished units. I omitted Onkyo and Pioneer (same company) due to lousy quality. I'd rate the AVR's from first to worst: Yamaha - Denon - Marantz.
tfraley likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - Acurus A100x3 & Outlaw 7075 - Salk Song Towers - Custom Selah Audio Center - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42
***GO SEAHAWKS ***
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #8 of 13 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Tried a few but go back to Yamaha.

📺 Samsung (PN51F8500)
📻 Yamaha (RX-V475)
🎶 SVS (PRIME BS+CC)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮 PS4□Xbox One 2.5TB
post #9 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Unless you add atmos speakers to your setup you don't need an AVR that decodes it.

Also, it seems you're either using ARC from your TV or the optical out from your disc player or whatever source you're using- in which case both only supports dolby digital/DTS and not the uncompressed DTS Master or Dolby True HD.

In order to get the newest audio codecs you need to run HDMI into a new AVR and use that as a means of controlling your inputs/outputs.
Thank you very educational.
I was unaware you need atmos speakers to for it.

Yes, I was running optical for everything prior to this 4k update due to the fact my current receiver didn't decode hover HDMI just did pass through.

With the new TV (Samsung 8000) I have all HDMI going to it and optical out from it to the receiver. Until I get a new one.

Thank you for clearing all this up, I haven't dealt with this stuff in years. So I will want the AVR to do the HDMI switching and not leave it to the TV... Gottcha

So then I need to make sure the receiver support 4k hdr and current codecs is there anything else I need to keep an eye out for?

Thanks
post #10 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very educational.
I was unaware you need atmos speakers to for it.

Yes, I was running optical for everything prior to this 4k update due to the fact my current receiver didn't decode hover HDMI just did pass through.

With the new TV (Samsung 8000) I have all HDMI going to it and optical out from it to the receiver. Until I get a new one.

Thank you for clearing all this up, I haven't dealt with this stuff in years. So I will want the AVR to do the HDMI switching and not leave it to the TV... Gottcha

So then I need to make sure the receiver support 4k hdr and current codecs is there anything else I need to keep an eye out for?

Thanks
If you are planning on having more than one 4k device such as a UHD blueray player, 4k capable Roku and/or another 4K streaming device make sure the AVR has enough 4K capable inputs. Some of the less expensive ones only have one or two HDMI ports that fully supports 4K.

Get the latest spec HDMI cables to minimize handshake issues. Get them from Monoprice or Bluejeans cables from Amazon. Don't pay a lot for HDMI cables.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
If you are planning on having more than one 4k device such as a UHD blueray player, 4k capable Roku and/or another 4K streaming device make sure the AVR has enough 4K capable inputs. Some of the less expensive ones only have one or two HDMI ports that fully supports 4K.

Get the latest spec HDMI cables to minimize handshake issues. Get them from Monoprice or Bluejeans cables from Amazon. Don't pay a lot for HDMI cables.
On accessories4less you want to filter on hdcp 2.2. That's what you want to see. Onkyo in particular only puts 3 or 4 hdcp 2.2 ports, though I think the rest will pass 4k that doesn't use that spec.

I think Denon may do that too. Yamaha receivers I looked at did it on all ports, but only had 4 ports at that price point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
tfraley likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all you helps guys.

Think I'm going to hit up Fry's on the way home from work tonight and pick up a Yamaha RX-V381BL -it's listed there for $279.99 no tax and have a $80 gift card. (Only reason I'm leaning on picking it up there)

So for $200 out the door it seems like a good deal.

Anyone hear of any issues with this model?
Any other suggestions or insight is welcome, Please educate me if I'm missing something.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for all you helps guys.

Think I'm going to hit up Fry's on the way home from work tonight and pick up a Yamaha RX-V381BL -it's listed there for $279.99 no tax and have a $80 gift card. (Only reason I'm leaning on picking it up there)

So for $200 out the door it seems like a good deal.

Anyone hear of any issues with this model?
Any other suggestions or insight is welcome, Please educate me if I'm missing something.
No issues. A very nice AVR for that price.

Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors