Magnepan speakers driven by Rotel amplifier. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2003, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone out there have a Magnepan speaker system driven by Rotel amplifiers? If not have you heard that setup? What did you think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2003, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
Hello char,

Personally, I have not heard a Rotel/Maggie set-up. However, I suspect that the Rotel would definitely be able to drive the Maggies nicely, assuming that you're not talking about the 3.6 or the 20/20.1.

I think that this question would be better answered on the Planar Speaker Asylum board of Audio Asylum (link posted below). It would also help if you could give more info...speaker model number, Rotel amp model and room size. After all, wouldn't you agree that there is a difference in driving MMGs compared to 3.6Rs?

Good luck.

Ken
Maggie HT owner/lover

Planar Speaker Asylum

Ken
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2003, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I've driven MMG's, SMGc's, a MGCC1, and most recently a pair of 2.7QR's with Rotel RB-981 amplifiers (170 watts/channel @ 4 ohm). Even with the most power hungry of the bunch - the 2.7's - I can't really complain about the sound. All of them have been in what I consider smallish rooms (no larger than 16 x 16), and I've never ran out of legroom on the Rotel before my ears wimped out.

I do suspect, however, based on where my preamp gain is at the loudest comfortable listening volumes, that in larger rooms with more acoustic damping (I have none currently), the 981 (or current model 1070) would probably be a bit overwhelmed. When I move into the new, larger theater room (30 x 20), and step up to 3.6's, I plan to biamp using a pair of 991's (or 1080's).

As far as "sound," well, I personally have never believed that well designed solid state amplifiers can be distinguished when listening through most any speaker you can find (based on my experiences in blind testing). I do think Rotel mates well with Maggies for a couple of technical reasons though... high damping factor (probably not that important), largish capacitor reserves, and beefy torodial power supply. Rotels, for their price, do a pretty good job at delivering lots of current when required. I think a Parasound, Sunfire, Bryston, Sherbourn, Outlaw, or similar amp would probably do the job equally well, but since I started with Rotel amps I suppose I'll stick with them to keep things looking all nice.

What speakers were you interested in mating them with? From my experience, I'd suggest the following as a rough (and I emphasize rough, since it is highly room and preference dependent) guide for matching current Rotel models (minimum amp I'd use) with current Maggie models:

MMG - 1070
MG12 - 1070
1.6QR - 1080
3.6R - 1080
20.1 - 1090

If you wanted to be absoutely sure you had enough power, you could step most of the amps up a notch:

MMG - 1080
MG12 - 1080
1.6QR - 1080
3.6R - 1090
20.1 - 1090

These suggestions are based on current requirement, and are highly dependant on your preferences. For example, listening to soft jazz and vocals 100% of the time would probably only require a 1080 for 20.1's, or a 1070 for 3.6's. The rule of thumb with Maggies though is to have as much current capability in reserve as you can afford. Rotel is a reasonably economical way to accomplish that.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2003, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
I would also look into B&K amps with them. I have no ties with B&K whatsoever, but it's a good combo. They work well with ribbons in general as they have a nice, complimenting tone.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2003, 05:35 PM

Liked: 11
Wow, I stand corrected about Rotel amps being able to drive the 3.6 and 20.1. It looks like the 1080 and 1090 should do so effortlessly.

Bigus,
That's quite an assortment of Maggies you have...Very nice! :) I also agree with your decision to bi-amp the 3.6s...that should be an amazing combo and will really open up those Maggies. Have you thought about using a tube/SS combo to biamp...just curious.

John,
I agree with your B&K/Magnepan combo. This one I can speak for from experience. I would also like to mention Classe' amps, if one likes a warm sounding amp, to mate with Maggies. And of course there are the Odyssey amps...but then I am biased ;)

Ken

Ken
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2003, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone thanks for your replies so far. I'm getting the 1.6, 2 pair of MGMC1, and CC3. For the power side of things RMB-1095 and RB-1070 or RB-1080. Along with the RSP-1098 in another month or so. Thanks again.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2003, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

By the way my room size is approximately 10x20.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2003, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 234
You bought the same speakers as I did. I don't think you will be disappointed. I've had Magnepans for 20 yrs.

I am waiting for my electronics to arrive next week. But in the dealer demo room, the 1.6's, rears and center were fantastic with DVDAudio and SACD. I'm looking forward to July 4 weekend to put it together.

Another Maggie Lover

Steve
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page