Older AVR without HD audio decoding support. Solutions??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Older AVR without HD audio decoding support. Solutions???

Hello

I am looking for recommendations on a blu ray player or a similar device (or another solution--such as a sound card--for my HTPC) which can:

1. output decoded dts-hd and TrueHD audio signals as 7.1 analog outs, and
2. play video files (such as MKV) from USB media.

I am wanting to buy it as an alternative to my HTPC, or to enable my HTPC to ouput decoded 7.1 as pre-outs.
My AVR (Pioneer Elite 47TX) cannot decode the modern DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD formats. I am otherwise very happy with this unit. Rather than spending money on replacing it, I would like to explore options which would allow me to send decoded signals as 7.1 "pre" outs to 7.1 pre-in's of my AVR.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 307
The problem is that the players that can decode to multichannel (instead of just stereo like most players) cost a lot of money. By a lot of money, I mean $500+ as you're looking at the Oppo and similarly high end line of players. The reason is they need to justify spending the money to license he enhanced decoders and thus concentrate heavily on the analog outputs.

A cheaper alternative is to get a 7.1 sound card for your htpc and use software like powerdvd with the decoders built in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page