Problems with Sony STR-DH550 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problems with Sony STR-DH550

I'm having trouble with setting up this receiver. My setup is as follows: Samsung bluray, Roku stick & Tivo OTA all hooked to receiver via HDMI. Then HDMI from receiver to Panasonic TC-P50X1. When receiver's HDMI audio is set to "amp+tv", the audio & picture work for all components. However, I only get PCM 2.0 48 khz. If it switch receiver's HDMI audio to "amp", the picture drops out for the Tivo & Roku, but not the Samsung bluray. Also, when doing this, the Samsung works correctly (can get DD, DTSMA, etc). TV's Viera link doesn't seem to affeCT audio formats. Tried swapping cables & resetting TV & receiver. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
Problems with Sony STR-DH550

I'm not familiar with your AVR (I eschewed Sony anything decades ago based on a series of lemon recievers) but your description is indeed bizarre.

I would reset the AVR to factory defaults and try again. The HDMI video passthrough should be fine regardless of audio settings.

Yamaha's AVRs have a "processing" or "straight" setting for video, see if your AVR offers "straight."

Hope this helps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the same receiver and have no issues with audio formats. It automatically switches to whatever format is being fed through it (Dolby Digital, 2ch stereo, etc.). My only components are BluRay player, Cox Contour box, and Xbox 360. Perhaps it's related to the TiVo or Roku? I'm not familiar with those.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I did reset the TV & receiver to factory settings. Didn't seem to change anything. I've scoured the settings on all components involved, but don't recall any settings like the one you've described. I can't imagine being satisfied with 2 channel PCM moving forward.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 63
How about reset tivo and roku?

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma HD141X
Yamaha RX-A3050
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes/Sub
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Velodyne WiConnect-10 Sub - For Sale
post #6 of 7 Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Brent, did you solve this? I just dropped this same receiver into a family room location and having similar issue.

I can't get it do display video to my Panasonic Plasma via HDMI unless it is in the passthrough mode. Have swapped out multiple cables.

When powered on, the 550 won't display its own menu or the source material. If I reset the amp (holding power button for 5 second until the receiver reads cleared) the 550's onscreen menu will come on, but despite changing the HDMI settings, I still end up in same spot. Turn off receiver and my source video is passed through. Turn on receiver and the source video disappears, and menu won't display when you hit home. Super frustrating.

Have TiVo mini inputting to Cable/Sat and an Apple TV inputting into Game on the 550. Output to a Panasonic TC-P42X1, about an 8yo set.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FWIW, finally fixed my issue. Super frustrating though (especially because the receiver sits in a cabinet that is tight and hard to get in/out to swap cables, etc).

I turned off my Panasonic's VieraLink then set the Sony HDMI menu options to:
  • HDMI Control ON;
  • Pass Through ON;
  • HDMI Audio AMP;
  • Subwoofer Level AUTO;
  • Fast View OFF;
  • MHL Auto Input ON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors