AVS Forum banner

Sub $600 Atmos Receivers??? Denon AVR x2300?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NickTF 
#1 ·
Long story short my Pioneer VSX-1015TX has finally given up the ghost (amp error, have tried both the factory reset and the other reset and it just won't turn on flashing amp error and shutting down immediately). I'm going to convert from my current 7.1 setup to a 5.1.2 atmos setup with existing speakers. I don't want to spend more than $600 and thus far looks like I can have the Denon AVR x2300 for that which appears to be a large sound quality upgrade to my current receiver from 2004. At my price point please suggest any other receivers i should consider at that price point. The Denon appears to be about the best I can do in terms of sound quality with atmos at this price but i'm all ears to other suggestions. Thanks you!

#2 ·
Are there no other receivers at my price point to be had which offer marginally better performance, options, etc. than the AVR x2300? Looking to pull the trigger within a week and just want to make sure I'm not missing out on a potentially better alternative. All input is welcome!

#4 ·
Thanks. I guess one of my biggest concern is the amp section. The 1015tx I believe was rated at 110w 20-20k hz all channels driven. That sounds optimistic to me but it is possible the amp section was that robust given it was thx select 2 certified. I understand the x2300 to have discrete power supplies for all 7 channels. Any thoughts on the anticipated difference in authority between these two units if any?

I'm surprised these receivers now don't have hardly any preouts. My 1015tx had preouts for all channels.

#6 ·
It appears another nice feature will be the ability to pass all video through the receiver allowing the ability to use only one HDMI cable to the television (Samsung UN75F8000AF). Considering the tv only does 1080p is there any reason to avoid passing video through the receiver from sources (directv and play station 3)?

#7 ·
I'm interested in replacing a 10 year old 7.1 Onkyo receiver with a newer Atmos model. It seems there are quite a few .2 Atmos receivers around $500, but the .4 models are quite a bit more $.
I'm currently running 6.1 (it supports 7.1). From what I've read, the 4 ceiling atmos speakers are quite a bit more immersive, but my room is small (13x9), so I'm not sure it will make much difference since the 4 ceiling speakers would be pretty close together.
Thoughts?

#8 ·
I'm surprised these receivers now don't have hardly any preouts. My 1015tx had preouts for all channels.
If you live near a Fry's, wait for Denon x3300 to come on sale again. That sale happens about once month and will cost between $499 and $539. The x3300 uses the higher version Audyssey XT 32 and sub EQ HT which can calibrate dual subs independently. It's a nice upgrade from the x2300 and does have a full set of 7.1 preouts in case you ever want to add an external amp later.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Ended up going over to AV Science and found a bran new Pioneer Elite SC-85 for $700 (originally a $1600 receiver). Receiver model is a few years old without some of the higher end 4k video pass through features but considering I intend to hold on to my 75" samsung 8000 series tv for a long time this means nothing to me especially when considering what appears to be a very significant jump in the sound quality department, power department and the ability to now power a 5.1.4 setup!

Reactions: unretarded
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.