• 1 Post By Kai Winters

post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good receiver for B&W 802 D3

Hey all,

I've just ordered a set of 802 D3s but I don't know what kind of receiver I should buy for it. I'm getting very confusing information all around.

Right now, I own a Denon X2000 AVR, which is the only thing I have and belongs to my current set of speakers. Even though I'm not sure if I want to go through the audiophile route or not, fact of the matter is that it simply doesn't have enough power to drive the peaks of the set. So I'm going to upgrade no matter what.

But it's that audiophile route yes or not that makes me doubt. I hear many saying that the only thing that matters about a receiver is the power it pushes. The differences in sound are only down to the amount of distortion they cause. For me as a normal consumer this is very confusing. I don't want to spend money just for the heck of it.

In the shops where I tested, the differences between receivers were nowhere near the differences I hear between actual speaker sets. So I'm not sure if I can even trust my own ears here.

Anyway, a stereo amp is not interesting for me as I prefer a simple solution. So the choice is really between a Denon X4300H/X6300H/X7200WA or an Arcam AVR 550.

As for myself, as a past musician I love music. But I'm not much of a technician if that makes sense.

Last edited by christoffeldg; Yesterday at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12258 Post(s)
Liked: 5589
The X2000 should have more than enough power for those speakers. Suggest you get the speakers first before upgrading the AVR if all you "believe" you will need is more power.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I second JD...wait until you get the speakers and listen to them with your current AVR.
You don't mention a budget or uses for the AVR...that would be helpful.
Today's AVR's do so much more making it necessary to think about what you want out of the AVR.
There are many options.
ChromeJob likes this.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, Rcvr: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 11v5, center/Paradigm CC-290, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/Paradigm PDR-100, DVD: Samsung BD-J5700, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 83
if this is for 2 channel listening why an avr?
and I agree, this is a serious purchase and I believe it should not be mated to a budget avr

that is like putting a 4 cylinder in a Ferrari

as for your selections
if the denon 2000 is under powered the 55w boost of the 150w 7200 will be minimal
and it has the most power of the bunch

with the higher price avr's you also get the upgraded dac (digital/analog converter)

for 2 channel music
you could use the denon for your music sources as you have been, and use the pre outs to a separate dac and amplifier

here are a couple suggestions to meet the same budget of the 7200

amplifier: 300 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms
emotiva XPA Gen3

dac: flagship ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC
https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

or a marantz preamp with the emotiva

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Marantz SR-5010
Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
SVS PB-2000
65" LG UG8700
Harmony 1000

Last edited by littlefoott; Today at 05:05 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would suggest looking into the Anthem Reievers as well. They are very highly regarded and have very good amplifires. Just to be honest, if i had a pair of the speakers you just ordered I would look into seperats before I went down the reciever option. I know you want a simple solution but, Those speakers
you have coming are very revealing and can deliver incredible sound. Just Saying.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page